Time difference between ship and Island

Billmont

Hello everyone.

I tried to do a search on this but it kept timing out. So I'll ask.

Is there a time difference between ship time and Island time?

We are in port from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM and want to go to the baths and want to optimize our time there.

Thanks.

Check with the cruise line to be sure but I have gone on many cruises and never had a situation where the ship's time was not the same as local time.

What makes you believe there may be a difference?

Some ships change to have their time match the island time others don't. It will depend on when you are there. If it is AFTER the clocks Spring Forward and BEFORE they Fall Back, there will be no difference. If the other way around (after Fall back and before Spring forward, there will be a difference since they don't play games with their clocks like we do).

So right now we should match (ship's time=time at the port they sail from too....so if you are West Coast but sailing from Miami....ship's time will =Miami time).

Hope that helps.

Some ships change to have their time match the island time others don't. It will depend on when you are there. If it is AFTER the clocks Spring Forward and BEFORE they Fall Back, there will be no difference. If the other way around (after Fall back and before Spring forward, there will be a difference since they don't play games with their clocks like we do).

So right now we should match (ship's time=time at the port they sail from too....so if you are West Coast but sailing from Miami....ship's time will =Miami time).

Hope that helps.

Thanks Elvira, your input does help. We are leaving in two weeks and just wanted to be sure we could time our connections to/from the Baths without missing the boat so to speak.

Thanks.

Tortola is on Atlantic Standard Time. They do not observe daylight savings time on Tortola. It actually ends up being the same as Eastern Daylight Savings time. You won't have to worry about changing your watch.

On our cruise we are going to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten, Tortola, and the Bahamas. They are all either on Eastern Daylight Savings time or on Atlantic Standard time. We won't have to change our clocks at all.

Tortola is on Atlantic Standard Time. They do not observe daylight savings time on Tortola. It actually ends up being the same as Eastern Daylight Savings time. You won't have to worry about changing your watch.

On our cruise we are going to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten, Tortola, and the Bahamas. They are all either on Eastern Daylight Savings time or on Atlantic Standard time. We won't have to change our clocks at all.

Thanks Chipeneezer,

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Less complicated trying that way.

Every cruise we've been on, we've been told to always keep your watch set to the same time as the ships. :)

It is not that I want to change my watch, I wanted to get on the first available ferry after we dock. Therefore it helps to know if the Island time is the same as ship time when viewing the ferry schedule.

Some people said that the ship will probably be in some of the ports even earlier than the scheduled times. They just don't announce it. I was also wanting to get off of the ship as early as possible on tortola so that we could catch the 7:00 ferry to Virgin Gorda.

Just get up early on those days and leave the ship as early as they will let you.

Almost there!

Some people said that the ship will probably be in some of the ports even earlier than the scheduled times. They just don't announce it. I was also wanting to get off of the ship as early as possible on tortola so that we could catch the 7:00 ferry to Virgin Gorda.

Just get up early on those days and leave the ship as early as they will let you.

Almost there!

Hey Chip,

I see we are both on the Jewel of the Seas next week. If all goes well, I think we will try to do exactly as you and get an early start.

Can't wait.

Cheers.

Hey Chip,

I see we are both on the Jewel of the Seas next week. If all goes well, I think we will try to do exactly as you and get an early start.

Can't wait.

Cheers.

Looks like a plan. Right now the weather forecast looks like it should be great. 82 and partly cloudy.

See you on the way to the Baths.

Chip

We've run into differences between ship time and island time more on some Western Caribbean trips when you cross time zones more often between some ports.

Most of the eastern Caribbean Islands are on the same Atlantic time zone. So usually they set ship time to this time zone, if there is even a difference. As one poster pointed out, since the mainland US is on daylight savings time the Atlantic time zone is the same as eastern right now since the islands do not observe daylight savings time. Also, a lot of cruises to Tortola leave from San Juan, which is in the same time zone in any event.

Archived