Sea Glass - All you can carry!

CaribbeanBound

I am interested in getting some sea glass and I will be docked at the Dockyard in mid June for 2 days. (I am leaving on Explorer on 6/14). I guess the cemetary is closest. Can someone tell me exactly how to get there? I have been to Bermuda about 2 years ago and used the bus so I don't mind using it one or both ways.

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

I was thinking it would be fun to look for sea glass with our 4 year old DGD when we're in Bermuda in Sept. We'll be docked in St. George's.

Any suggestions which would be the best place for us to do this? Has anyone seen small kids at the caves at Alexandra Battery?

I was thinking it would be fun to look for sea glass with our 4 year old DGD when we're in Bermuda in Sept. We'll be docked in St. George's.

Any suggestions which would be the best place for us to do this? Has anyone seen small kids at the caves at Alexandra Battery?

Well he may not be a small kid, but he is mine. The caves were a bit tricky to get down to, if someone were able to help her down, it should be ok. I'm not sure if the tide was in or out here.......

319386187_aAWpX-M.jpg

Thanks musicgirl63! So you climb down to the cave? For some reason I was thinking we'd have to wade out to where it's located. I'm the one who will need the help!;) Maybe I'll stick to the beach, unless my DD or DH will help. I just received a Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine & there's an article about making stepping stones & I'd like to do that using the sea glass set in the mortar. It's at LowesCreativeIdeas.com under "Step Aside", in case anyone is interested.

You don't have to wade out to the caves, but your feet will definately get wet with the surf. We changed into surf shoes and they worked great.

The "cave" isn't really much of a cave --- it is more like a hidden indentation with a couple of big rocks well in front of it. The sea glass is all around the rocks and in the indentation.

Your 4-year old will need to be helped into and out of the area. I think the child might have a great time, but keep a real good eye on him or her. The child will get wet and could potentially get hurt.

You might not have a choice, but if you do, go near low tide when the tide is going out.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Glad to hear you had a good time Edward. I look forward to hearing about this vacation. We leave Sunday on the Dream and will be checking out the Crooked Elbow while we are there.

Sue, how did you like the cruise on the Dream? Did the Dream compare favorably to the Majesty? I had heard mixed opinions about the food when we met and talked to people in Bermuda. Finally, did NCL do away with the dine ashore program as we have heard?

Thanks, Edward:)

Hi Edward. Yes the dine a shore program is gone. Too bad because it was such a good deal. I thought the food on the Dream was just as good as the Majesty. Our room was nicer than any of the ones we had on the Majesty. We were in 7242. Room had a nice sitting area right next to the window. The ship is kinda chopped up. Hard to get from one place to another sometimes. The Italian place was excellent and did not require reservations. I didn't really care for the cruise director. I thought he was a bit strange. I am interested in how your land vacation went. We will be doing the same thing next year. Did you bring much food with you? Only down side to the place we are staying is that there is no grill.

We did get to pick up a lot of sea glass. I just need to figure out what I want to do with it.

Too bad we didn't exchange emails.

Hi Edward. Yes the dine a shore program is gone. Too bad because it was such a good deal. I thought the food on the Dream was just as good as the Majesty. Our room was nicer than any of the ones we had on the Majesty. We were in 7242. Room had a nice sitting area right next to the window. The ship is kinda chopped up. Hard to get from one place to another sometimes. The Italian place was excellent and did not require reservations. I didn't really care for the cruise director. I thought he was a bit strange. I am interested in how your land vacation went. We will be doing the same thing next year. Did you bring much food with you? Only down side to the place we are staying is that there is no grill.

We did get to pick up a lot of sea glass. I just need to figure out what I want to do with it.

Too bad we didn't exchange emails.

I had a feeling that the dine ashore program was gone. Supposedly NCL didn't raise the amount they were paying the restaurants. Too bad as it was an excellent perk that we all took advantage of when it was available. Did you go to the Carriage House anyway?

Your comments on the Dream were about what I was hoping to hear. I am reassured about the food and I have heard about how the ship is difficult to navigate around. I have heard some odd comments about the CD Firth, so we shall see for ourselves.

We are facing a deadline as our final payment is due Monday and I was mulling whether to finalize or not. Your input was very helpful and we will committ to this October for the Dream's final season with NCL.

I have gathered all my notes and have a rough draft in Word. I just need to organize our impressions and polish up the wording. I am sure that there will be some very helpful insights for you. I have to somehow get our email address to you, let me think about that.

We took about one suitcase with just food. The make and take frozen dinners that I mentioned before being the key elements. We also brought packets of mustard, catsup, sugar, tea bags etc. I have a good source for you to get meat and you can grill on the stove if you use vegtable oil or Pam. We were lucky enough to have a grill and a patio included.

My wife put some pink sand gathered from the various beaches into a large glass fruit bowl. She then added some sea glass, coral and shells and made a nice display that sits on top of our bookcase. When we show it to people, they run their fingers through the mixture and get a kick of the whole effect. Our poor man's version of a Bermuda pink beach. If you ever get to the bottle beach I discribed near the Royal Naval Cemetary, you would see firsthand the creativity the locals used in implementing the sea glass into the stairs, walls and patio tables. Just remarkable and stunning.

We will be in touch and I will try to get the comparison done next week.

Edward:)

I am interested in getting some sea glass and I will be docked at the Dockyard in mid June for 2 days. (I am leaving on Explorer on 6/14). I guess the cemetary is closest. Can someone tell me exactly how to get there? I have been to Bermuda about 2 years ago and used the bus so I don't mind using it one or both ways.

Thanks so much!

If you go back to the second page of this thread, #21, SailBadtheSinner posted a link to another thread in which I gave very easy directions. Taking the bus from the dockyard, it is very easy to find and well worth the trip. Have a fun time and you will be amazed.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back and what an amazing place. The above directions were right on. Anyone in the area can point you in the right dirction. The kids had such fun picking out the glass they wanted and St. George is beautiful too. Go at low tide for the best results. The glass is inches deep. The suggestion to bring a cat litter scooper was perfect! We must have brought back 3 full knapsacks! We even found some red and cobalt blue and quite a bit of pink and yellow glass. Green, brown and clear were the standard colors. Upon return to the NCL Dawn, they confiscated all our glass, saying you cant take shells or animal products. Rather than argue with security, I called reception and explained it was man made glass that you can purchase as souveniers. They said they would look into it. The glass was returned to us a few hours later. We can't wait to start our craft projects.

A few Suggestions:

1. Go early in the morning as close to low tide as possible. Less People and it's a lot easier to pick out the peices you like. You can also explore the other beaches and lunch in St George.

2. The swimming here is great too so be sure to bring the regular beach stuff.

3. The snorkeling there is nice too. It's not the best, but has a fair share of fish and coral. Basically something for everyone.

Wow, this is getting long. On the last day we decided to swim and collect glass at the beach near the Dockyards. If you are short on time, you could try the cemetary beach, but I can't recommend it without a couple of warnings:

1. Wear Water shoes in the water and the sand. I made the kids do this, but thought I could get away bare foot. Needless to say I managed to get a nice gash on my foot as a going away present. Definately not the place for swimming either. After about 20 minutes I went for a swim. This used to be a garbage dumb, so their is a lot of debris at the bottom. After collecting glass we went to Church's Bay Beach to swim. It's on the South Shore. All the tourist head to Horseshoe Bay. I thought Church's was just as pretty and not nearly as crowed. Maybe 40 people total plus they had facilities and snorkel and chair/umbrella rental.

2. The Cemetary beach is public, but not the access way. People have been walking through the resident's yards. I spoke with one of the residents who was cordial, but you could tell he was not happy with the recent influx of tourists related to posts here. He said people had left garbage and even urinated in their yards. You can get to the rear of the Row by walking to either end of the Apartments. (Be sure to look out for traffic, as there is no sidewalk and the cars come around a bend)

3. If someone is there Say Good Morning and ask permission to use the stairway access. This is not a public stairway either, it is on private property. The beach used to be a garbage dump. After the Royal Navy left, the residents cleaned it up and built the stairway on their own. We brought my mother who has mobility issues. Be careful as the stairway is uneven and loose in some areas.

If you are short on time and don't mind that the selection of colors is not as varied as Alexandra, then this beach works too.

At Harbor nights in Hamilton, we saw several local vendors who had made a variety of crafts with the glass. Gave us lots of ideas too! I asked where they collected the glass, but they were very vague. Have fun in Bermuda!

Archived