Considering first MSC-Poesia

RnD

We have been on 51 cruises and are considering our first on MSC. THis became our only option because of the date in December (29) and the itinerary.

It is a new ship, but some of our concerns are as follows:

Will there be announcements made in 4-5 languages each time?

Will there be English speaking shore excursions?

How does it compare to say HAL, or RCCL etc?

Finally how are Americans treated?

I have read very mixed reviews about the line and am not sure whether to simply pass on the trip al together tather than spending over 5K and being dissapointed.

I am told it is the sister ship to the Musica"

Thanks

Yes. But, from what I've heard, MSC makes relatively no announcements.

I would imagine, since these ships are also marketed to British guests.

Can't give any input on thise one.

I would imagine they are treated like any guest.

I am told it is the sister ship to the Musica

Poesia will be a virtually identical sister to Musica and Orchestra.

In my opinion, go for it! We've been looking into MSC for a while. Origionally we were considering the Orchestra, but have decided to go with Celebrity Solstice and wait until one of the Fantasia-class come to the Caribbean. The ships are pretty important to a cruise in my opinion, if you can tell.:D

I just got back from an excellent 11 night E. Mediterranean cruise on the MSC Orchestra. Most of your questions are answered in my postings "live" from that cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723319 There were only about 100 of us from the U.S. (and another 200 combined from Canada, UK and Australia) on the cruise, and most of the conversation around us was in German or Italian. However, the announcements at the shows were made in 5 languages (English first on our cruise). Excursions were available in English. The staff on board spoke English well enough. Some of the activities (like the wine lectures) were offered multiple times so you could go to the English one. If you like traveling in Europe you should like an MSC Mediterranean cruise.

Ok first of all, I'd probably start by saying I'm a Scot so my views may well be different as I also consider myself European, than an American might. I cruise 2-3 times a year with MSC because I prefer to feel like I'm in a different culture and experience different cuisine, languages etc when I go on holiday. I hate for things to be the same as the UK. If I want that, I stay in the UK.

So on to your specific questions

Announcements and all communication (mensus, daily programmes, newspaper extracts etc etc) is in 5 languages. English, french, German, Spanish and of course Italian. They do however make very few announcements and thiose that they do are not heard in cabins (other than the mandatory safety drill information on the first day)

Excursions in English - on MSC sailings in Europe, English speakers can be in the minority (majority Italian and german. Excursions do have English speaking guides but it is likely that your party will be consist of many nationalities (e.g. Brits, US, Canadian and lots of other Europeans who speak English as a second language e.g. Dutch, Scandinavians, Russian, japanese, easter Bloc countries0 Sometimes some of the English speaking excursions may be cancelled if they have had insufficient people book to run it. However as this maiden voyage departs from England and the price is reasonable compared to their other cruises for Brits, there is a chance that there will be a fair number of Brits on board, so this is not likely to be a problem on this voyage

Cant comment on your question on how it compares to the 2 cruise lines you mention as I've never sailed with either, although I'd hazard a guess to say MSC is far more European in influence, decor, food etc than those would be

As for your final question, they treat Americans the same as all other nationalities, especially when in Europe. When they are in the caribbean they will try to "cater" more for the US market, but when you are talking about a voyage taking place entirely in Europe that will have mostly Europeans aboard than the experience will be definitely European and by that I mean continental European, not British European.

If you love Italian food and see different cultures and ways of doing things interesting and exciting then go for it. If however you prefer things to feel like they are at home, don't - you'll make yourself miserable. Please don't think I'm trying to knock Americans, I'm not. I've travelled extensively throughout the world and have encountered bot Brits and US citizens who just find differnt as bad or inferior. In my view it isn'y, it is just different. Hope this helps. Mairi

Hello Marinearchit

I've done one cruise on MSC last year on the Musica. Embarquing in a couple of weeks on the new Poesia - maiden voyage Dover/ Venize. 6/13th April.

Yes. But, from what I've heard, MSC makes relatively no announcements.

Yes - but announcements are kept minimum

I would imagine, since these ships are also marketed to British guests.

Yes

Can't give any input on thise one.

It's more like Costa (ie : it caters to Europeans and is not targetted at 'Anglo/ Americans'.

Having tried RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Costa and MSC, I can say that MSC is 4-star, whereas HAL (which I want to try soon), Princess or Celebrity are 5-star

I would imagine they are treated like any guest.

True, but bear in mind that this 'European' company does not consider (at least in European cruises) Anglos/ Americans are their 'core' market.

You'll be mixed with many other countries.

It seems that people either like MSC very much, or just hate it!

I am told it is the sister ship to the Musica

Poesia will be a virtually identical sister to Musica and Orchestra.

yes, that's correct. A fourth one is under construction (I think she comes out next spring).

Go for it to!

Jacques O, Paris

In my opinion, go for it! We've been looking into MSC for a while. Origionally we were considering the Orchestra, but have decided to go with Celebrity Solstice and wait until one of the Fantasia-class come to the Caribbean. The ships are pretty important to a cruise in my opinion, if you can tell.:D

Jacques O,

Thanks for the added info!

I'm hoping my family can eventually try out MSC (preferably the Fantasia or a sister ship) after they debut. Hopefully also in the Caribbean, Bahamas, etc. First, we'll be trying out the Solstice. I wouldn't mind an inside cabin, but everybody else wants a balcony! So we can only cruise about once every 2 years..

Archived