Family of four in cab???

msweezie99

Is it possible, with luggage and all? I wouldn't mind the discomfort of crowding for such a short ride, children are 11 and 14, but is it possible? What are families finding for the cheapest form of transportation to and from airport? I am cruising in February, and will arrive one night before cruise. I have seen some hotels that offer free shuttle from airport to hotel, and then to port. But what about after the cruise? Any recommendations?

Thanks

If you are talking about Miami or really anywhere else in Florida, family of four is no problem in a taxi with luggage. We did it for four families of four in March from the ship to the airport. Obviously four separate cabs. Just get a cab that is a van not a regular car and there are lots of them. You can insist on a van type. You do not have to take the next vehicle in line. Cheapest way to go, only $21, flat rate plus tip.

Assuming you are talking about Miami, here is a link to taxi and shuttle transportation from the airport. Note pier is under Central. You will note that Super Shuttle is $12 for the first person and $9/ add'l person.

http://www.miami-airport.com/html/taxi_and_shuttle_service.html

We are a family of four, kids were 9 and 12 and we did fine in the inside cabin. We put our empty suitcases under the beds. It was a little tight, but it all worked out. For the amount of time we were actually in the room it's not too bad.

Which port are you sailing from? In Ft Lauderdale, we did the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then shuttle from hotel to port in Miami. At Port Canaveral, we rented a car and drove to the rental place and took the shuttle.

If you want to talk tight, we just did it from Newark to Bayonne with a family of 5 (boys 9, 11, 12). We waited for a van type (more of a SUV). Had DH in front, me & the boys in back and all our luggage behind us. We had 4 large rolling duffel bags, 2 large garment bags, and 2 huge suitcases. In addition to 3 rolling carryons, 2 backpacks and a laptop/case. But we did it. Not without a lot of fighting between the kids (& me after a while), but we did do it in one. Coming back from the ship was much easier because they had a bunch of those big 10 pax vans right there.

I understand that the maximum passengers in a North American sedan taxi is 4 plus luggage.

In Europe it would not work. We took a taxi to the ship in Barcelona and had 3 suitcases for the 2 of us and 2 carry-ons. Some of the luggage went in the trunk, the rest on the front seat beside the driver and in the back seat between us.

In Fort Lauderdale a taxi is only about 10 bucks if you are staying in the downtown area. Ours came to $6.80 from AmeriSuites to pier and with tip, we paid $10.

You can see the airport from Port Everglades and vis versa. Note the link. This is to taxi rate comparison for Fort Lauderdale airport. Port Everglades is the first on on the taxi side of the chart.

http://www.fortlauderdaleinternationalairport.com/airport-shuttle-taxi-rates.htm

Note these are estamated rates but $10 should do it. They do not have a flat rate like Miami.

Archived