Buying Guitars in Mexico

anniversarycruiser40

Have gotten tons of information on Cabo, Mazatlan and PV, and it has been very helpful. Does anyone know where to buy a good quitar in either of these ports? Going on cruise with my daughter,so thought I would surprise my husband with new quitar. Will I be able to get a good one at a reasonable price or should I plan on something else? Is this a good place to buy a quitar?

Will I have any problems bringing to the US? Can I carry it back as carry on or will I have to send it thru as luggage? Anyone else done this?

Going to a music store in the US you will find guitars made by China, Korea, Mexico, Japan, Canada and US. There is also refund/return policy which will be easier if you bought it at your local music store.

As far as how to determine quality. US made guitar for same model is always most expensive but more quality. Quality on guitar is usually based on type of wood used. Because of environment issue, most guitars is made of particles board. Though sound almost as good as wood, it is less expensive.

Also consider a cheap guitar can really ruin inspiration. He can get bore really fast and never play with it again.

If he just want a light guitar to travel around on cruise to play in the cabin or at home later. I recommend going to a store in US like Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check out the Baby Taylor or Martin travel guitar. They run 300-500 dollars though I think you can trust this 2 maker of guitars in quality.

You can have them deliver to cabin or surprise him on day of cruise.

Good luck! :^)

Thanks for the info, he has a guitar that he bought on-line for around $100. just to play along with,but I want to buy him a nicer one for his Birthday in 12/08.

He is not going on this cruise to Mexico with us, but we will be going on a cruise to celebrate his birthday early on 10/08 that goes to Canada. We leave from Seattle. Maybe I can sneak out to a store in Seattle with my daughter and buy him one. How do I go about having it delivered to the ship ? I couldn't carry it, since it would be obvious.....Or maybe buy it then, have my daughter ship it to me in Oregon and give it to him on his real birthday.

Would the Seattle area have the stores you suggested ? We live in a small town and would have to travel at least 2-3 hours to find a decent store here.

Guess I'll have to find him something else in Mexico since he doesn't get to go on this mother-daughter cruise with us !

Thanks for your info.

Please don't just go out and buy a guitar. Only the person who is going to be playing it should choose the guitar. It's a nice thought, but a guitar has so many choices that are personal. The string length, String height from the neck, neck width, neck depth and body style are all variable and make a great deal of difference in playability and enjoyment. They are not one size fits all. Instead, while you're in Seattle, take time to take him to one of the guitar stores, like http://www.guitaremporium.com/guitars.htm or www.guitarcenter.com

520 Westlake Ave N

Seattle, WA 98109

(206) 287-9100

Get directions

and let him enjoy an hour or two looking at all the toys. That will probably mean more to hime then you buying one.

One thing to remmeber: Cheap guitars Aren't.

Normally cheap guitars ar built so poorly, that they are a (literal) pain to play and sound horrid. My guitar repair shop loves to tell me of the people they have coming in to get their cheap guitars "adjusted" and by the time they're done, spending twice as much on "adjustments" (read re-building the thing) than if they had bought a more expensive guitar.

Of course if he falls in love with the $4000 custom built, it's not my fault:D

Enjoy

Ron

Archived