How long does it take to get to Chankanaab National Park from pier?

graceinga

For anyone who has had the "free" taxi ride from the pier to Chan. Park (for having reservations to do the Dolphin Encounter/Swim), how do you know what taxi to take? Does it have to be a special one or can you just grab a cab? And what happens once you get to the park? I know it says to go to the Dolphin Encounter/Swim kiosk. . .is it hard to find? Are the taxi drivers willing to wait or will they insist you pay them?

• 4 weeks later...

When you get off the ship, just grab any taxi you can find and tell him to take you to Chankanaab. When you arrive, tell him that you need to get a voucher to pay him, and he will wait. Do not pay him under any circumstances as DD will not reimburse you.....you must pay with the voucher. Our taxi driver had no problem when we asked him to wait...I think they are used to it. Also, you do not have to go far to get the voucher...maybe 20 feet? Right there in front of the entrance, an employee will be standing there with a clipboard. Go up and give him your name and reservation info and he will check it off his list and give you a voucher to give the cab driver. He will also give you a return voucher for your cab back to the pier. He cautioned us about 3 times not to lose the voucher as we wouldn't get a replacement if we did. When we got ready to leave, there were cabs waiting out front and we hopped in for the easy return ride. We wanted to do some shopping before going back to the ship as we'd spent all day at Chank so we asked the cab driver to drop us off about 6 blocks from the dock which he gladly did. We then just walked/shopped the rest of the way back.

Also, just to be sure that you know, the taxi fee that Chank says they will pay is not automatic. When you made your reservation, you should have received instructions about notifying them that you intended on using the free taxi. It was my understanding that if you didn't notify them, they wouldn't pay if you just showed up. So make sure that you notify them that you are going to be taking advantage of the free taxi.

Concerning towels, there are none to rent so bring your own. There are lockers there (free) that you can put all your stuff in while you are swimming.

Have a wonderful time.......you're going to love it! I'm so jealous I'm not going back any time soon. :(

PS: If you've already looked at my pics linked below, go look again as I added some more dolphin pics today that I took with an underwater camera. Not as clear and great as the professional ones but some really cute shots of the dolphins.

Archived