What time do shops in Taormina open?

We are renting a van in Messina for our group of 6 and heading towards Taormina on Friday July 4. I am wondering what time do most of the shops in Taormina open? I know most of the shops close around 1 or 2 for the afternoon siesta so we'd like to do Taormina in the morning and then have a relaxing lunch before slow sightseeing/meandering in the rental car before returning it at 3:30 pm. Our ship docks at 7 and departs at 5. I can pick up the rental car at 8:30. I am wondering if getting to Taormina at 9:30 would be too early because things may still be closed?

Rental car was only $145 USD (all fees included)...so I'm pleased. Much cheaper than cruise options. We've driven in foreign countries before so I'm not too worried, especially with Sicily being an island and we aren't going too far.

The cruise is getting so close...I am SO excited!!!!!

We are renting a van in Messina for our group of 6 and heading towards Taormina on Friday July 4. I am wondering what time do most of the shops in Taormina open? I know most of the shops close around 1 or 2 for the afternoon siesta so we'd like to do Taormina in the morning and then have a relaxing lunch before slow sightseeing/meandering in the rental car before returning it at 3:30 pm. Our ship docks at 7 and departs at 5. I can pick up the rental car at 8:30. I am wondering if getting to Taormina at 9:30 would be too early because things may still be closed?

Rental car was only $145 USD (all fees included)...so I'm pleased. Much cheaper than cruise options. We've driven in foreign countries before so I'm not too worried, especially with Sicily being an island and we aren't going too far.

The cruise is getting so close...I am SO excited!!!!!

Taormina is just beautiful, you really will not be disappointed. Shops should be open by 9.30am and close around 1.30pm so your timings are fine.

Note Taormina is a nightmare for driving so do take the extra insurance to cover for you for any damage excesses. I have no fear of driving in central London, but I took a few deep breaths driving through the narrow streets of Taormina.

Arriving at 9.30 will also help with parking as the town gets packed soon after.

Siesta is usually 12:30 to 3:00/4:00 depending on the store. Some stores are always open. The restaurants do not close in general. Many. not all, restaurants are closed one day during the week, usually a Mon., Tues., or Wed., as they are open all weekend. However, if you are there on a Friday, no one will be closed. The main attraction is the Greco-Roman theatre, nearer the Messina gate and up the side street at the piazza where the police station is located. Other sights are the town gardens, various other Roman ruins, spectacular views galore and numerous cafes.

One cautionary note, you should park in either of the parking garages located outside the old town walls. I do not know the cost but am sure it is not prohibative (we stay in an apartment in Taormina and have use of a small private car park). The Lumbi Park is on the main road up to Taormina and there are shuttle buses which will drop you off outside the Messina gate. The other car park is outside the Catania gate and can be accessed through a new tunnel next to the Lumbi Park. It takes you underneath Taormina and out to the other side of town. It is a short walk up the street into Taormina (through the Catania gate). You cannot find a parking space on the small side streets of Taormina and you cannot drive through the main corso. The small amount of side street parking available is for the residents and stickered as to neighborhood.

Archived