Hiram Bingham Luxury Train to Machu Picchu

Gogie

Has anyone taken the "new" Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu? My wife and I are considering a South American cruise next January with a pre-cruise Machu Picchu excursion. One option we have is to take this train instead of the regular "Vistadome" train. However, it's fairly expensive so I'm wondering if it's really that much better. Any info would be much appreciated.

Gogie,

I envy your ability to go there. We had always wanted to go but the doc says "NO". This is a lesson for those people who put things off.

I was looking at this website and I thought that they gave a fairly good explanation of the different services and prices. Hope that it is helpful.

http://www.perurail.com/Pages/hiram_bingham.htm

Fran

Hi Gogie,

We were on the Hiram Bingham Train last November to and from Machu Picchu. They used two dining cars, with booths for two on one side of aisle and booths for four on the other. They served a three course brunch going and a four/five course dinner on return. The seats are not comfortable and straight backed. Not much of a problem going, but hard to get comfy for a nap on the way back.

After dinner I as well as several others finally just laid our heads on the table to snooze. It was hard to see from some seats as they had velvet drapes pulled aside on the windows. Which didn't make a difference returning because it is dark. The scenery is magnificent and should not be missed going.

Coming back the train has to climb 3000' in a short distance. Our train took about six hours to get back to Cusco, having suffered we were told 'technical difficulties'.

The food was very good, the presentation excellent, service excellent. They had entertainers at times who were good and the Pisco's were very good.

I looked with longing on the 'regular trains' waiting at the station near MP though. They were clean, large windows without drapes, regular seating patterns, spacious aisles. We were asked to stay in our seats at all times, and sheep as we were we did.

If you have the money or can get a good deal (which we did) go for it. But the next time we visit we are taking the 'regular train'.

If you have any more questions I will try to answer them.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the great information. For two of us, we can arrange a private tour of Machu Picchu with lunch on the Vistadome train for an extra $380 Cdn or we can take the Hiram Bingham train for an extra $1100 Cdn. Sounds to me like the extra $720 Cdn it would cost for two of us to take the Hiram Bingham might not really be worth it. What do you think? (P.S., $720 Cdn is about $530 US)

Gogie,

I had no idea it was that expensive, I would take the Vistadome and save the difference to treat yourselves to some wonderful goods you can buy in Cusco. I fell in love with their use of colors. I bought a watercolor painting which is framed and on my wall now, each day it gives me such delight and memories of our visit.

The ride to MP is an event in itself, stick with the big windows, the views are awesome of the canyons and Andes. I hope you have a wonderful adventure and a great time.

Mary Ellen

Been to MP 5 times. I have never done the HB train. It looks just like the regular train (first class-not backpacker), except fancier. It leaves later, so you can sleep in. The regular first class train leaves at 6:00AM. You get somewhat of a meal on the first class train. Not bad, you won't starve. And they have all the drinks you want to pay for. The zig-zag out of Cusco is one of my favorite parts of the train, which you miss on the HB. Going in reverse down a mountain while they are changing tracks is truly an adrenalin rush.

Yes, on the HB, you get a tour, tea at the Sanctuary, and dinner coming back to Cusco. If it was my money, I would take the regular train, spend the night at the Sanctuary (the sunset and sunrise over MP are extraordinarly), spend another day looking around MP and take the 3:30 train (first class) back to Cusco. Is about the same price or less than the HB train and you get 2 days in MP.

If you have any questions about MP/Cusco/Lima/Chile, feel free to email. greatam@earthlink.net. I travel to Peru/Chile 4 times a year on business and spend all my "down time" in Cusco.

Archived