Dolphin help

Tammylyne

We arrive in tortola at 7 am. We have reservations for a dolphin swim at 11 am. We booked directly. We depart Tortola at 2 pm. My questions are will we be able to get a cab ride from the ship on our own? How much would that be..there are 3 of us. The encounter said it would last 1 hour so give a lil bit extra and say it ends by 12:30 noon...will we be able to get back to the ship on our own easily before our reembarkment time? Any help is appreciated :)

you will have no problems at all the dolphin centre is 10mins by taxi, the taxis are located in the port area when you disenbark the ship, there are literally hundreds of them. i would advise you to get one in the port secure area as they are all offical registered taxis, there was 4 of us and it was 3 dollars per person, there, the same return. i would advise that you ask them to collect you as we did ours as there didnt seem to be any taxis waiting at the dolphin centre, our taxi driver gave us his card and the dolphin centre happily phoned him when we needed collecting, he was there pronto.we book direct with dolphin discovery and they run on time. we docked earlier than was antisipated our dolphin swim was booked for 12pm but asked at a tourist info centre if they could phone them and put us on an earlier swim which they did so we swam at 10am this gave us the rest of the day to go to the beach. did u book the gold swim? if so this was fab, but it all looked really good, we did the gold swim, dont think the kids will ever forget it, so much cheaper than booking with the ship. u will have plenty of time, try not to stress, but book your return taxi ride and dont pay until he collects you, they seem to expect this anyway.

you will have no problems at all the dolphin centre is 10mins by taxi, the taxis are located in the port area when you disenbark the ship, there are literally hundreds of them. i would advise you to get one in the port secure area as they are all offical registered taxis, there was 4 of us and it was 3 dollars per person, there, the same return. i would advise that you ask them to collect you as we did ours as there didnt seem to be any taxis waiting at the dolphin centre, our taxi driver gave us his card and the dolphin centre happily phoned him when we needed collecting, he was there pronto.we book direct with dolphin discovery and they run on time. we docked earlier than was antisipated our dolphin swim was booked for 12pm but asked at a tourist info centre if they could phone them and put us on an earlier swim which they did so we swam at 10am this gave us the rest of the day to go to the beach. did u book the gold swim? if so this was fab, but it all looked really good, we did the gold swim, dont think the kids will ever forget it, so much cheaper than booking with the ship. u will have plenty of time, try not to stress, but book your return taxi ride and dont pay until he collects you, they seem to expect this anyway.

where is the port secure area vs the not port secure area?(1st time on cruise not sure what all lingo means) what is the difference between the offical registered and the other. Will we know its a registered 1 vs 1 that is not?:confused:

when you get off the ship you are automaticaly in a secure area, there are gates that you pass through out of this and anyone who wants to re-enter this area will have to show their cruise card, taxis in this area have passes so are all legal registered taxis, u do not need to check their cards for dates etc. they may be a dollar or two more but we felt safer this way, as once when we were outside a port area a taxi man was hasseling us to have his taxi and when he produced his offical card it was 1 year out of date - i wonder why they hadnt renewed it.the ship will give you a daily paper of things to look out for like what letter the taxi should have on its number plate if it is offical.we always used the taxis in this area, sometimes other people came too as the taxis are quite large and seat up to14.do not worry, you will get in the swing of it, but still barter your price as ours always came down a few dollars.prices are quoted per person per trip, hope this helps, if you want to know anything else please feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
TammyLynne - we are on the same ship as you and booked for the same time w/the Dolphins (and I think we both have Dd's the same age... ;-)) We could probably all cab together, LOL!

Dottie :)

Did you book through the cruise..I cancelled my ressie cause I got to nervous but I am thinking of rebooking .

• 4 weeks later...

DH and myself are sailing on Carnival Miracle 06/02/08 (3 days) and booked the royal dolphin swim through Carnival. I checked the web page about the dolphin experience and they are charging $139 for adults, and Carnival is charging $163 for adults. Their web page says transportation is extra. Carnival includes the transportation to and from. So for an additional $24 booking directly does not appear to me to be a hugh savings. Just my opinion.

DH and myself are sailing on Carnival Miracle 06/02/08 (3 days) and booked the royal dolphin swim through Carnival. I checked the web page about the dolphin experience and they are charging $139 for adults, and Carnival is charging $163 for adults. Their web page says transportation is extra. Carnival includes the transportation to and from. So for an additional $24 booking directly does not appear to me to be a hugh savings. Just my opinion.

if you go to both carnival website and dolphin discovery you will see they are NOT the SAME program. the 1 with carnival is not as invloved as the 1 from dolphin discovery .The royal swim through dolphin discovery does more than carnival .for the price you are paying at carnival you would only get the dolphin swim adventure which cost $99.00 through dolphin discovery or dolphin discovery swim which cost 79.00 the royal swim is more interaction and swimming with the dolphins:)

Archived