Trastevere restaurants for lunch

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, not too expensive, restaurant for lunch in Trastevere? While we are in Rome for a few days before our cruise, we thought about taking a day trip to Trastevere. I have Rick Steves' book, but thought someone would have some firsthand suggestions about some restaurants that had good food and not too touristy. Thanks.

We were in Rome for Easter and stayed in Trastevere for five nights. We ate in some excellent restaurants but unfortunately can't remember their names! However, if you head for the Church of Santa Maria in Trastevere (well worth a look it has beautiful mosaics) most of the restaurants are in the small narrow streets surrounding the church. We each had a starter, a main course, house wine (1/2 litre) and coffee and our bill never exceeded 50 euros for dinner. Presumably, for lunch, you will eat and drink considerably less. All the restaurants post their menus outside and you will find translations in English against each dish together with the prices. We ate excellent food and the service was brilliant. Enjoy!

Ros

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you would be able to occupy a whole day in Trastevere. But as others have said if you go into the centre you will find plenty of options for a nice al-fresco lunch at reasonable prices where you can watch the world walk by. A fifteen to twenty minute walk left or right would see you at the Colloseum or the Vatican. Might burn off the calories!

Here are a few that got good reviews on Trip Advisor......Al Fontanone....Osteria de Belli................Casetta di Trastevere.......also the May Issue of Travel & Leisure spoke highly of newly opened Bir & Fud for pizza by one of the best.....Marty

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, not too expensive, restaurant for lunch in Trastevere? While we are in Rome for a few days before our cruise, we thought about taking a day trip to Trastevere. I have Rick Steves' book, but thought someone would have some firsthand suggestions about some restaurants that had good food and not too touristy. Thanks.

Yes! But I have to find my card with the address. It's an inexpensive place near the Hotel Santa Maria where we stayed last year and will again this year. We had simple pasta on checker placemates and it was very good. Btw, my DH is a Chef (Italian and makes homemade ravioli & lasagna at home) and he said we needed to go back here.

When are you leaving?

This area is a 20 minute walk to St Peters or St Angelo Castle.

Archived