A Few Notes on Thrifty Car Rentals

MPM

I just got back from Hawaii yesterday. Information that I gained on Cruisecritic proved invaluable, and I wanted to return at least part of the favor.

We rented cars from Thrifty on three occasions, and had originally scheduled four. The first car we rented was in Honolulu. I had originally scheduled the car for 6:30 am, with a code of HP5 (cruise ship pick up). We got off the ship, and there was no shuttle. I called the Thrifty 800 number, and found out that there would be no pick up until 8:00 – 8:30. I had a LOT planned for that day, so we took a Taxi to Thrifty (about $25.00). While I had read this before, I found out that none of the Thrifty facilities we rented from were actually at the airport. This became plain I told the taxi driver I wanted to go to the Thrifty location at the airport, to which he replied “where are you going, to Thrifty, or to the airport?”. Needless to say, by the time I arrived at Thrifty, I was already feeling a little cranky, but was trying hard to remain civil. The Lady at the counter was apologetic (although the fault was partly mine for not looking into pick up times a little more closely). She gave us a discount on the car that almost covered the cost of the cab.

I had rented the GPS system with the car. I had used the Garmen 350 previously when renting from Enterprise, and absolutely loved it. All I can say about the GPS that Thrifty uses, is that I am glad I bought the extra insurance on it for $1.00, because after a few minutes with it, I was in the mood to inflict some serious damage. I was so counting on the GPS, that I had neglected to get a regular map. With this GPS, you mostly navigate by finding the location “code” on the map supplied with the GPS. I couldn’t find the code for the cruise ship dock, and didn’t have the address with me, not to mention Oahu wasn’t the easiest area to navigate around! After some trial and error, we finally made our way back to the ship to pick up our friends.

Returning the car was easy. At least the GPS did a good job of getting us back to the rental facility. We caught the shuttle back to the ship without further incident.

We rented another car from Thrifty the next day in Maui. Armed with the experiences of the previous day, we were good to go. The shuttle bus arrived shortly after eight. The shuttle bus driver did a great job of giving directions of how to get back to the ship, and where we could park overnight without getting towed. We even got a mini-tour on the way to the rental agency (again, in an industrial area, not at the airport). With Blue Chip, we were in our car, and driving off with in 30 minutes of getting off of the ship. We got the GPS again, but this time also got the Drive Guide map, and really didn’t use the GPS all that much. We attended Old Lahaina Luau that night, and I was concerned about finding parking upon returning to the ship. We stayed for the entire Luau, but didn’t waste any time when it was over. There was still plenty of parking at the sea wall when we returned. We used the car the next day, and returning to the ship was very smooth.

We rented a car again on Kauai to tour Waimea canyon. Again, we got a prompt pick up, and were rolling out the gate in fairly short order. By this time, I ditched the GPS, and just went with the Drive Guide magazine (along with my “Revealed” books). Again, the shuttle bus driver did a good job of telling us how to make our way back to the rental car agency. No issues, and we had a great day at Waimea canyon, and Poipu beach. The last shuttle left at 8:00 pm to head back to the ship, and after staying for the sunset at Poipu beach, we came in just under the wire.

Over all, other than the first day, Thrifty turned out to be a very good experience. As I mentioned, they tended to be in the “industrial” areas, and weren’t quite what I was used to when renting right from the airport, but they were efficient, and the cars were clean, and appeared well maintained. Blue Chip is a must! It is free, and they really do give you the red carpet treatment. I don’t know that I would rent the GPS from them again. Hopefully this info helps somebody!

-Mike

Thanks Mike for the info. We are going on the POAM in July and I was concerned about the overnight parking at the pier in Maui. We are also doing the OLL on the first night and then hopefully get up early enough for the sunrise at Haleakala crater. So your info about the parking eased my mind some ... hopefully we will have about the same experience. dpw

They gave us a drive guide and pointed out main roads etc. when we used Thrifty. Also, every pier except Kona (becuase it is a tender) has an area as you exit that has racks of brochures, Drive Guides, and other similar map books for you to pick up (or use for cutting up for a scrapbook like my DW has done).

We brought our own Garmin GPS along...but when we hooked it up at the Thrifty HNL site, we almost immediately lost the satellite signal when we were driving on Nimitz under the elevated highway...good thing we had backup mapquest directions printed out!

If you are into planning ahead of your trip, the Hawaii drive guides can be ordered ahead of time for $4 per island guide. We find it very useful and time saving to have them for planning our island days. Go to http://www.hawaiidriveguide magazines.com Their service is fast and price includes postage. Scroll down the page to righthand corner of this site to order.

Aloha!

If you are into planning ahead of your trip, the Hawaii drive guides can be ordered ahead of time for $4 per island guide. We find it very useful and time saving to have them for planning our island days. Go to http://www.hawaiidriveguidemagazines.com Their service is fast and price includes postage. Scroll down the page to righthand corner of this site to order.

Aloha!

That is what I was planning to do also ... print out mapquest directions to the places we want to get to. Do you think that would still be necessary if we get the driver guide map from Thrifty? Thanks dpw

Dougweaver,

I am a firm believer that "more is better", especially when you are planning ahead. I had several occasions where I had information I wanted, but I had left it on the ship, not thinking I was going to need it:( On several occasions, I was consulting several different maps in order to find what I needed - public parking for example.

Whalewatcher,

I has strongly considered purchasing my own GPS before going, but was concerned that it might not have much available pre-loaded on Hawaii. Did your Garmin come with Hawaii already fully loaded up?

-Mike

We bought the base model Garmin Nuvi 200, and almost all of the Hawaii destinations we planned to visit were pre-loaded already (with the exception of some very obscure nature reserves). We paid a little over 200 for ours, but they are now even less than that at Target.

Mike, How far away from the dock is the drive to the Old Lahaina Luau? Is it easy to find? If we don't rent a car do you know if transportation is available to the luau ? Thanks for your info...;) Carolchacha

Carolchacha,

The drive to Lahaina is an easy one. Just follow your map to Lahaina. It is about a 30 to 45 minute drive. Pass through town, Old Lahaina Luau will be on your left on the edge of town on the ocean side - can't miss it. We went about an hour early, and got parking at the Luau proper, and there is a shopping area right across the street to hang out for awhile.

I am not aware of any transportation available. One option would be to get on the posts specific to your cruise ship and date, and ask the question if anyone else is going, and if you can catch a ride with them.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice and link to the drive guides. I think I will still go ahead and print out mapquest directions to some of the places we want to go to ... especially restaurants and other non tourist places. I would rather spend a little time now planning than wasting time on the islands. So much to see and so little time to do it. dpw

PS - as far as GPS ... I am still kind of old-school and like to use maps (maybe some day I might change my mind and get one ... but then again maybe not. I do like mapquest though)

carolchacha

I have done quite a bit of research on getting from Kahului to Lahaina for the OLL. I have contacted limo services, etc. There really is nothing more affordable than renting a car. We were worried about having a designated driver, night driving, and parking when we return. Once I exhausted all the other options I could find, we are sticking with our rental cars. We have 13 going in 2 minivans. Wish we could offer someone a ride, but we'll be full! Good Luck.

Thanks, plan2go for your info too. We will be with another couple so guess we will rent a car to get there. I was just concerned that all of us be able to enjoy ourselves and still drive back safely.. and since it seems like an easy drive there should be no problem. Thanks to all who contribute so generously to these threads...it is so informative and helpful. :)

Archived