Bolt Bus - Philly to NYC

Deb1113

This bus service which is a subsidiary of Greyhound just started to compete with the Chinatown buses. The buses leave from 30th Street (between Market and Chestnut and go to either Canal Street or 34th and 8th in NYC. There are seats for $1.00 on each bus. Check their website and join the rewards program. You don't have to do anything, but you will get priority (first) seating and after 8 trips, you get a free trip. I actually just made reservations for my Sept. 1 cruise. I even made two at different times on the return. I'm not sure if I will make the 8:30 bus, so I figured for $1.50 (incl. service fee), I may as well make one for the 10:30 bus as well.

https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

I've heard about this bus. I know people who use it to get to Washington DC from New York City. They swear by it and you can't beat the price (although it's $30 or $40 round trip to DC from here).

Not necessarily - if you purchase tickets far enough in advance (from Mid-July on) they are still available for $1.00. There are only a set number for each bus, which is why I bought my Sept. tickets now.

• 1 year later...

Megabus, part of Coach USA, also offers a similar service, with some seats also available for $1.00 each. See http://www.megabus.com.

Of the two I prefer Bolt Bus because I like the Prevost X3-45 coaches that are being used: best north American coach manufaturer, nearly top-of-the line model (only the H3-45 is better), one row of seats removed, sufficient overhead luggage storage, and standard underfloor baggage compartments. On the other hand, Megabus is using Van Hool TD925 coaches that might provide nice views from the first row of the upper deck (these are double decked coaches), there is very little headroom on both decks, seats are tight, there is no overhead storage, and baggage is transported in a rear compartment. Van Hool is a distant third as a north American coach manufacturer (the middle manufacturer being Motor Coach Industries, which I rank not far behind Prevost).

In addition, Mega only stops downtown/Chinatown in NYC (which is good if you are leaving from Brooklyn). Bolt has buses to both midtown and downtown.

I've now used Bolt several times for theater trips.

In addition, Mega only stops downtown/Chinatown in NYC (which is good if you are leaving from Brooklyn). Bolt has buses to both midtown and downtown.

Actually, Megabus itself only picks up in Midtown, near Pennsylvania Station. Another subsidiary of Coach USA, Eastern Travel, picks up primarily in Chinatown, but also in midtown at the Megabus stops. Eastern Travel is sold at the Megabus website. The Bolt Bus service to lower Manhattan is not very frequent. It picks up at an isolated bus stop on Sixth Avenue near the Holland Tunnel.

In most any case cruise passengers destined for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal would likely be best served using the midtown stops, near Penn Station, of either Bolt Bus or Megabus.

• 2 months later...

Their internet and electrical outlets NEVER work! The only reason I ever chose Bolt Bus is because not only do they claim to have internet, but they also have electrical outlets. But they are very, very unreliable and I will never give them another dollar of my travel money. Additionally, I've found their drivers to be rude and unapologetic and their customer service reps to be confrontational and unhelpful. If you have to take a bus, never count on any of the amenities working.

Their internet and electrical outlets NEVER work! The only reason I ever chose Bolt Bus is because not only do they claim to have internet, but they also have electrical outlets. But they are very, very unreliable and I will never give them another dollar of my travel money. Additionally, I've found their drivers to be rude and unapologetic and their customer service reps to be confrontational and unhelpful. If you have to take a bus, never count on any of the amenities working.

Wow - I used Bolt Bus quite frequently. I don't care about the internet service so I can't comment about that, but I find their service and drivers from Philly to NYC and back to be top rate and very reliable.

Archived