Diabetes packing and cruising questions?

My husband starting taking insulin for Type II Diabetes in October. We haven't been on a long vacation since he started. Do any of you have any tips on how to pack his syringes, insulin, etc. We will have to take some insulin and a few syringes in our carry-on bags. And do you have any tips about disgarding used syringes while on board and storing his insulin? Any help would be appreciated.

My son takes Growth Factor injections. I called RCL to make sure there is a refrig in the room and requested a red box for needle disposal. They said that the red box will be available in my cabin and there is already a refrig in the stateroom. I have to provide a note from his doctor stating the reason he needs his injections. This is the first time we are sailing since he started his injections. Have a good trip !!!! :)

Hello, we carry our insulin in a small thermus type container, and just put the syringes into a small bag. They go through airport security just fine. When you get on board just ask your room steward for a Sharps container. I believe all rooms have a small fridge, so you could put the insulin in it. Another thing we go, is have the steward empty the fridge so you can put diet pop/ water in it for yourself.:)

I have been diabetic for over 30 years and take multiple shots each day. While traveling by plane, I pack all the syringes, insulin and testing equipment in my carryon. There has never been a question by the TSA. I also get a current letter from my physician stating that I am diabetic and need the items to care for myself. Also, the room steward can supply a Sharps container for you to discard the syringes and lancets. I also carry a clipper to clip the needle off of the syringe just in case I am not near the container.

Good luck and Happy Cruisin!!!

My husband starting taking insulin for Type II Diabetes in October. We haven't been on a long vacation since he started. Do any of you have any tips on how to pack his syringes, insulin, etc. We will have to take some insulin and a few syringes in our carry-on bags. And do you have any tips about disgarding used syringes while on board and storing his insulin? Any help would be appreciated.

Call RCI, they prepare you you for needle disposal. The advice one of our members got last year was to pack them in one of those travel kits and keep them in the carry on. I don't know about refrigaration because the person had a travel cooling kit (just required ice).

I have been diabetic for over 30 years and take multiple shots each day. While traveling by plane, I pack all the syringes, insulin and testing equipment in my carryon. There has never been a question by the TSA. I also get a current letter from my physician stating that I am diabetic and need the items to care for myself. Also, the room steward can supply a Sharps container for you to discard the syringes and lancets. I also carry a clipper to clip the needle off of the syringe just in case I am not near the container.

Good luck and Happy Cruisin!!!

I used to work in a hospital so I've had my share of infection control and sharps safety instruction but I've never heard of clipping the needle off of the syringe. I've always been taught to stay away from the needle, don't even re-cap. What is the purpose of that?

I used to work in a hospital so I've had my share of infection control and sharps safety instruction but I've never heard of clipping the needle off of the syringe. I've always been taught to stay away from the needle, don't even re-cap. What is the purpose of that?

I try to guess. While with a clipped needle other can still poke themselves but I would say that the infection possibility is lessend because the part which enters your skin is clipped off.

But like I said just a wild guess.

As stated by a previous poster you need to carry everything you might need for the cruise with your carry on. Never trust that your other luggage will arrive when you talk about medication. As for clipping needles, this was done on a regular basis in yesteryear so you then only had to be careful with the needle and the syringe could be just thrown away.

B-D makes a device that is pocket size and I clip my needles daily so that I can dispose of them in my regular trash without worry that someone will get their hands on them and use other drugs. There is a small hole on the side of the device that the needle goes into and then you close it and the needle stays inside. It could last a couple of years before needing replacing and only costs a few dollars. I don't find it unsafe to use but very helpful.

You may want to double check with your doctor about refringerating your insulin. My father is insulin dependent (Novolin N & R), and his nurse informed him that the insulin does not need to be refrigerated after being opened for use; it only needs to be refrigerated when being stored. For trips, my father uses either the NovoPen or the OptiClik pens. These are pen-sized dispensers with short needles (about the size of a lancet) and don't require refrigeration.

Thanks for all of your advice. I was wondering if we should put all of the syringes in our carry on. You have answered my question. He is hoping to have his insulin already opened so he doesn't have to worry about refrigeration.

My husband was insulin dependent on our last cruise and I sure do wish I had known that they would provide us with a sharps box. We always carried a 20 oz coke bottle with us for sharp disposal. I too would suggest that you get an insulin pen if the doctor will write a script for it. Much more convenient. Have him check his sugar more often as you don't know the amount of carbs in most of what you eat on the ship and if you are like us your activity level will not be the same as at home which will also affect the amount of insulin needed. I would ask the doctor before leaving if there are any special recommendations if sugars go crazy on the ship.

Archived