Just Returned from Destiny Cruise - Questions anyone?

saundedj

Hello all,

Family just returned from cruising on the Destiny (April 6-13th). I'll post a review soon. We had a great time.:D:D I'd be happy to answer any questions while my memories are still fresh.

Hi,

My thoughts and opinions. Didn't do extensive shopping.

St. Thomas - Lots of shops at port with really nice stuff. Didn't check prices or buy anthing.

Dominica - Flea market atmosphere at port. Lots of the same type of trinkets at every table. Don't know how much was made in China. Purchased a beautiful wood bracelet from a guy who said he was a local artisan and he was working on a wood piece when we stopped at his tent. Looks like the place to get beads in your hair (lots of woman did).

Barbados - Husband loved the local booze (cream something..) but he didn't buy (just sampled). After we left port he wished that he had purchased. Parents purchased vanilla (huge bottle for $5.00 us). Lots of spices and sauces at the port. We didn't go in to the city area.

St. Lucia - Didn't look

Antigua - window shopped. Shops appeared to be filled with clothes, some were maybe a little higher end (quality) than I remember from other ports - didn't buy.

St. Kitts - Took all day excursion and didn't shop.

This might be a stupid question but on the first night since we leave so late do they have dinner in the dining room that night? We leave in 3 weeks and just wondering what to plan for that night. Also did you buy alcohol at the shopt at the port and take it on? Do they sell 12 packs of coke there? Thanks!

I hope that you had a great time on your cruise. I love the Destiny.

In my opinion the best shopping on this itinerary is St. Thomas.

There is dinner service on the first night even though the ship sails at 10 pm. The first night is open seating. The dining times will be in the caper in your cabin. You can buy the alcohol in the shop right before you walk through security. It must fit in your carry on. You can not just walk it on. I have done this previously. I honestly do not recall that they sell sodas. They may, I just was not looking for any either time that I was there.

Creole Girl is correct. The dining room was open for open seating dinner starting at 5:30 pm (this was Sunday, April 6th). Also, dress was very casual because Carnival understands that many guests will not have their luggage delivered until later (we were told it may be 9:30 pm).

I did not see sodas while I was purchasing alcohol at the port shop. Lots of yummy samples outside to try.

Thanks you 2 for the replies. I guess we will wing it and see if we are hungry. The samples sound nice, get a buzz before you even get on....lol!

They had sodas in the liquor store but the were behind the cash register and you had to ask.....;) BTW, checked on to the ship and then I grabbed the back pack and went on a stroll of OSJ... Made our liquor purchase coming back on the ship... Just do it before 7PM... Liquor store closes....:(

Hello,

We are sailing June 15. Tenders to the ports or are you docked? I've read mixed reviews about the food. I have always liked Carnival's food and service, what did you think? And the pictures of the ship look nice, not old like some people have said.

Food is hard to rate because everyone has a different frame of reference. Foods that I loved:

Sushi Bar

Lobster - Formal Dinner

Center Cut Pork Chop - Dining Room

Dinner Salads - Dining Room

Cold soups - Dining Room

Ice Cream - dining room

Chocolate Cake - room service

Smoked Salmon - Dining room and room service breakfast

Rasberry danish - breakfast (dining room and lido deck)

Cookies - lido deck

Ship Impressions:

Overall good. Crew works very hard at keeping it clean. Some rust spots (didn't look too close). Bathrooms were in good condition and always kept clean. We started out on the 6th floor and were moved to the 9th. Carnival crew said that room on the 6th needed work - I didn't see anything out of place but I didn't argue - we were mere steps from ice cream and pizza.

Hi,

Dominica - Flea market atmosphere at port. Lots of the same type of trinkets at every table. Don't know how much was made in China. Purchased a beautiful wood bracelet from a guy who said he was a local artisan and he was working on a wood piece when we stopped at his tent. Looks like the place to get beads in your hair (lots of woman did).

HI,

May I ask what you paid for your wooden bracelet? It is something I have been looking around for. Also, in what vicinity of the flea market can his table be found? Thanks.

We are wondering if US Airways is one of the airlines which allows you to participate in the Express Luggage program on debarkation day in San Juan.

I've heard of several of the other airlines that do, but no mention of US Air.

Thanks in advance!

Two questions:

1. What would be a good place for a cc group to meet on the ship the first evening?

2. Do you know which dock the Destiny used in St. Lucia (Point Seraphine or La Place Carenage)?

Thanks

We are wondering if US Airways is one of the airlines which allows you to participate in the Express Luggage program on debarkation day in San Juan.

I've heard of several of the other airlines that do, but no mention of US Air.

Thanks in advance!

Queen B1,

They did NOT participate as of last May..... Hopefully it has changed....

When does the Destiny move from SJU to Miami? I am thrilled that Carnival finally has a newer ship doing 4-5 day cruises. Will be great to have a balcony that isn't at the suite price!

Will the Destiny have a drydock before it starts sailing out of Miami?

tnsail....... thanks for your response......I really hope US Air will be participating in July......what a difference it would make for me ......I'm traveling with my precious 82 year old mom and that would sure make things so much easier.....

Maybe some of you more recent Destiny cruisers can remember if Express Luggage included our airlines. Thanks!

This might be a stupid question but on the first night since we leave so late do they have dinner in the dining room that night? We leave in 3 weeks and just wondering what to plan for that night. Also did you buy alcohol at the shop at the port and take it on? Do they sell 12 packs of coke there? Thanks!

Our first cruise onboard the Destiny, we purchased liquor, put it in our carry-on and took it to our cabin. This was approximately 2:00 in the afternoon. At this time, they had not scanned our carry-bags. For some reason the scanner were not on. Met up with my sister a couple hours later, she wanted to make purchases just to bring home, she made purchase and her's was confiscated.

Second Destiny cruise, we were on board around 12:30. Got off the ship to go to Marshall's and Walgreens. Took items upstairs and came around 5:30 to make purchase of liquor. Our liquor was confiscated.

Sailed on the Valor last year, purchase liquor in Nassau (which actually has some good prices). We were able to bring two boxes (with three bottles of liquor each) right to our room. We never opened them the entire trip because someone had sent use two bottles to celebration our 10 year anniversary.

Unfortunately for this question, you will always get a different answer.

Enjoy your cruise. :cool:

Archived