Cancellation for non-payment

PreciousJewel

Has anyone ever had their cruise cancelled because they didn't make their final payment on time?

We have a group of almost 30 going this year and there are several folks that haven't paid their 2nd deposit yet and final payment is May 1 and I'm wondering what will happen if they don't get all their money in before that time. Is there a grace period since we're traveling with such a nice-sized group?

Thanks

We went on our first cruise in 2000 and were so excited that I immediately plunked down $50.00 on one of the group cruises for my husband and me. It was pretty far in the future and as it became apparent that the time frame wouldn't work, I figured we had simply lost our deposit. One day I got an envelope in the mail from Carnival with a check for $50.00 refunding my deposit. I was shocked as I had never contacted them at all to cancel, but right after the next payment was due they refunded it to me. Don't know how it is handled now though, that was several years ago

Well it's probably different when you sail with a group. When I expressed my concerns to our TA after the 2nd deposit she said not to fret because there was more than enough money in our "group account" (because some of us have already paid in full others have paid more than the 2nd deposit) to cover those of us who didn't pay the 2nd deposit (which was due March 1st). Now that we are coming up on final payment, we were notified by the TA that there are some in the group who have only paid the deposit and now I'm concerned because that means they need to definitely get it all in in the next 2 weeks. I don't want anyone to be left out and I was wondering what happens if they don't get it in before May 1st.

Well it's probably different when you sail with a group. When I expressed my concerns to our TA after the 2nd deposit she said not to fret because there was more than enough money in our "group account" (because some of us have already paid in full others have paid more than the 2nd deposit) to cover those of us who didn't pay the 2nd deposit (which was due March 1st). Now that we are coming up on final payment, we were notified by the TA that there are some in the group who have only paid the deposit and now I'm concerned because that means they need to definitely get it all in in the next 2 weeks. I don't want anyone to be left out and I was wondering what happens if they don't get it in before May 1st.

I would ask the TA...she is your Agent and would be the best person to advise you on this issue.

I would imagine the date she gave you is probably not the same one Carnival has set for final payment, since most TA's give the group a little extra time to get all the money together.

Are the people that havent paid planning to pay at some point? Or do they plan to cancel? Find out if they cancel how that will effect your perks.

Im a little surprised your TA was so nonchalant about the March payment.

Also find out if there is a cancellation fee for those that dont make final payment. Some agencies have some funky policies.

Usually the cruise lines will work with you.

Find out if they cancel how that will effect your perks.

I guess this is why I am fearful of booking through a group. I know there are more good experiences than bad but I am always the one who seems to be in the group of bad experiences. I don't know why but it just happens that way.

I would ask the TA...she is your Agent and would be the best person to advise you on this issue.

I would imagine the date she gave you is probably not the same one Carnival has set for final payment, since most TA's give the group a little extra time to get all the money together.

Are the people that havent paid planning to pay at some point? Or do they plan to cancel? Find out if they cancel how that will effect your perks.

Im a little surprised your TA was so nonchalant about the March payment.

Also find out if there is a cancellation fee for those that dont make final payment. Some agencies have some funky policies.

Usually the cruise lines will work with you.

Jeff thanks so much for your answer! Yes, the people that have not paid have said they are still going, just needed more time to pay. I hate harassing grown people! I don't want any fall-offs to affect the perks either.

Thanks so much again!! I guess I just have to call her back and ask her to get specific with me.

As stated, I heard this secondhand so don't know how valid it is.

"25 couples booked on a GROUP cruise - two couples didn't pay by final payment day because they just decided they didn't want to go. The whole group was cancelled and refunded deposit." The individual I was talking to said that there was a real uproar over this but they were told that they booked as a group and was up to them to make sure it paid as a group. I sure hope they didn't do this through a TA because I think there would have been big time trouble. I get very ansty when I am involved in a group thing and am anal about checking things out and making sure everything is going according to Hoyle.:cool: :cool:

As stated, I heard this secondhand so don't know how valid it is.

"25 couples booked on a GROUP cruise - two couples didn't pay by final payment day because they just decided they didn't want to go. The whole group was cancelled and refunded deposit." The individual I was talking to said that there was a real uproar over this but they were told that they booked as a group and was up to them to make sure it paid as a group. I sure hope they didn't do this through a TA because I think there would have been big time trouble. I get very ansty when I am involved in a group thing and am anal about checking things out and making sure everything is going according to Hoyle.:cool: :cool:

:mad: I would be PISSED!!!!! I wouldn't think they could do that without notification though.

Tbay-eh, Maybe it was a rumor.....

Last year I cruised on the Carnival Conquest with about 62 ppl in my group. My husband and I were in charge of the group (it was my wedding) and we did not have any problems with two people who decided not come come after the second deposit was made. They called Carnival and told them that they were not going to be able to make it. They did ask for a refund of their second deposit, but as to my knowledge, it was never refunded. So to anwser your question, with my experience, I did not have any problems with a couple backing out kinda towards the last minute. Hope that helps out and GOOD LUCK!!! I know now, I will NEVER be the head organizer of a large group to travel on any vacaction....what a headache!;) ....but had a great time once we stepped on the ship!!!!:D

When we had a group in 2004 for our wedding we had three cabins cancel within 60 days but had no problems with the group reservation. The people who cancelled had to deal with the TA and I had no worries.

Archived