Vertigo and sailing?

Do you have ? what do you use? Does the motion bother you?

thank you

I don't have it but my son does. Yes, it did bother him for the first few days and then he seemed ok. I have a friend that has it really bad and she was fine. Sorry, I can't help you with meds.

I have vertigo. I can not walk out on a normal size dock (for small boats) or assorted other places and not feel like I am going to pass out.

That being said, I have never had a problem on a cruise ship. The only problem I have is if we go on a tour and I have to get into a small boat to tender somewhere. It gives me that feeling for a second until I can get into the boat.

I hope this doesn't stop you from cruising, it hasn't stopped me.

My husband gets vertigo from time to time, but has never had a problem on any of our cruises (we've been on 4 cruises, 2 of them were 7 nights). We take dramamine or bonine everyday on the cruise regardless of what we're doing to ensure we don't get sea sick.

If you're still concerned, talk to your doctor and they may be able to prescribe something stronger in case you need it.

I have Benign Positional Vertigo.....what ever that means! :eek:

My Dr explained it to me and it is dizziness and the sensation of falling off the edge of something. Believe it or not cruising itself does not bother me, walking up to the railing does, walking along the promenade watching the water does. I have never had to take any meds, but get some from the receptions desk to keep on had in-case I do.

This condition also makes me lose my balance, like bending over to pick up something, or putting on shoes. It is very weird but have learned to live with it.....if I was ever stopped by a cop and had to do a road side test for possible DUI I would fail cause I can not walk a straight line to save my soul!!!

I have Benign Positional Vertigo.....what ever that means! :eek:

My Dr explained it to me and it is dizziness and the sensation of falling off the edge of something. Believe it or not cruising itself does not bother me, walking up to the railing does, walking along the promenade watching the water does. I have never had to take any meds, but get some from the receptions desk to keep on had in-case I do.

This condition also makes me lose my balance, like bending over to pick up something, or putting on shoes. It is very weird but have learned to live with it.....if I was ever stopped by a cop and had to do a road side test for possible DUI I would fail cause I can not walk a straight line to save my soul!!!

Oh my gosh, I had it too. Mine developed out of no where, hadn't been on a cruise in months. The doctor gave me RX form of Bonine and it worked GREAT. Went away in just a couple of weeks.

Now we take Bonine with us (you can buy it at Wahlgreens) when we cruise. It can make you drowsy, so many just take it at night before bed. Knock on wood ... haven't had to use it yet, but always have it with me.

My mom would have vertigo issues for weeks after a cruise. They tried all kinds of meds, tests etc and nothing worked. Finally she tried the Seasick Accuppressure bands (available at most travel stores) and she would put them on the morning of her flight and leave them on thru the cruise/flight back home. Then after 24 hours of returning home would take them off. Worked like a charm. She swore by them. Also can be purchased in maternity shops as they are used for morning sickness. Amazon.com has them too.

I am 26 and have had vertigo caused by an inner ear imbalance since I was 22. It even causes migraines for me. I have found I am fine on the cruise ship itself for the most part. Day 1 is usually a bit of a struggle getting used to the motion of the ship and walking down the narrow halls without bumping into them. Most people have this problem however with my condition it is intensified. At dinner try to not look out the windows while sitting, as the motion of the water tends to bother me. The tenders I just dont look out I just talk to my husband and the before you know it you are at your destination. Sometimes when falling asleep it bothers me but just lay in your bed and put your foot on the floor and it balances you out. I just tell myself I have these feelings on land and on water so when I am on the ship I just say oh its just the boat making me lose my balance and go on with the fun. Definitely try not to let it bother your trip.

I am 26 and have had vertigo caused by an inner ear imbalance since I was 22. It even causes migraines for me. I have found I am fine on the cruise ship itself for the most part. Day 1 is usually a bit of a struggle getting used to the motion of the ship and walking down the narrow halls without bumping into them. Most people have this problem however with my condition it is intensified. At dinner try to not look out the windows while sitting, as the motion of the water tends to bother me. The tenders I just dont look out I just talk to my husband and the before you know it you are at your destination. Sometimes when falling asleep it bothers me but just lay in your bed and put your foot on the floor and it balances you out. I just tell myself I have these feelings on land and on water so when I am on the ship I just say oh its just the boat making me lose my balance and go on with the fun. Definitely try not to let it bother your trip.
Actually, I think my body assumes that the motion of the boat is nothing more than my normal imbalance and I rarely notice anything more than what I usually feel or experience... bumping into walls, motion from looking outside windows (water or no water), moving beds, moving everything. So, I'm assuming the vertigo works to my advantage on the ship cuz I'm already use to being dizzy;).

PS: I'm twice your age so maybe I've had longer to as assimilate.

I've had Benign Positional Vertigo for about 16 yrs. It is triggered by moving my head to the left and having it tilted some; happens to me even lying down. The good thing is it comes and goes; the bad thing is it has been coming more often and staying longer! Cruising doesn't bother me any more than just walking or driving or even trying to sleep. Besides sudden movement, I have determined over the years that much of my vertigo is triggered by dehydration--which happens a lot on a cruise. :) You'll need to find your own tolerance for the movement of the ship, but don't assume that it is the ship that will trigger it.

I have have had vertigo for almost 20 years. I was always afraid to cruise and missed out on many cruises due to fear. About 10 years ago I finally decided to try cruising and I am hooked. I have been on 7 cruises and havent gotten sick. The first time I tried the "patch" recommended by my doctor. The only side effect was difficulty reading print. The second time, I wore the patch again and it affected me totally different. I felt like my head was somewhere else. From then on I take bonine and it works great. I take it daily whether I feel symptoms or not. This is what the ships give out for seasickness. I start taking it 2 days before we cruise. I have also taken ginger capsules and have given them to my children if they feel queasy. You will feel the motion from time to time depending on where in the ship you are. Sometimes you can really feel it in the dining room. Like the previous poster said, don't look out the dining room window. We have had balcony cabins and I enjoy sitting out there -- I just don't "stare" at the ocean. You will be fine. Also, drink plenty of water. The bonine does not make me drowsy either.

I've had Benign Positional Vertigo for about 16 yrs. It is triggered by moving my head to the left and having it tilted some; happens to me even lying down. The good thing is it comes and goes; the bad thing is it has been coming more often and staying longer! Cruising doesn't bother me any more than just walking or driving or even trying to sleep. Besides sudden movement, I have determined over the years that much of my vertigo is triggered by dehydration--which happens a lot on a cruise. :) You'll need to find your own tolerance for the movement of the ship, but don't assume that it is the ship that will trigger it.

I have a friend, retired from the USCG, who stated to me that some water and a little food, like a few saltine crackers, was the best cure and one they used for new sailors.

You can use meclazine (sp) you can get it at walmart but have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter, it use to be by prescription only, but is now available over the counter. It was perscribed for vertigo. My anut has vertigo and even flying bothers her, it works well.

I haven't been diagnosed but I do need to take Dramamine for flying and I have to close my eyes during the initial climb or else I'm done!! Cruising doesn't bother me until I come home! We've been home for 2 weeks and the "falling" sensation was driving me crazy! but I think I was coming down with something & that really brought on the symptoms. after spending a few days in bed sick they seem to have gone away. On the big ships it hasn 't bothered me (I cruised a lot when I was younger with my parents and I just remembered being claustrophobic and nauseous, probably vertigo but I didn't know it) but last November, we went on Sovereign and I immediately noticed a tilt in the ship. totally freaked me out!! I carry Dramamine with me all the time and I take it after the attack comes on and it always works . I also try to get a bunch of water in my system and chew some spearmint gum!

You can use meclazine (sp) you can get it at walmart but have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter, it use to be by prescription only, but is now available over the counter. It was perscribed for vertigo. My anut has vertigo and even flying bothers her, it works well.

Its free at the reception desk! ;) We get some every other day, just to keep stock.

if you miss work because of vertigo issues, be sure to have an explaination as to how you can function on a moving ship but couldnt show up for work .. its hard to make people understand

i ve been suffering for 4 years with vertigo issues, the only time i feel normal is on the ship...only time i dont feel like my world is spinning

i take the meclizine and wear a transderma patch that i put on several days prior to the cruise -- so far no problems --knock on wood

go and enjoy :D

Archived