1st Disappointment with Thomson

I was on the Celebration last June 2007 and Thomson invited passengers who had cruised with them to a cocktail type party to try and sell cruises for the following year.

As it is my 50th birthday this year we decided we would have a holiday on the Emerald in June 2008 as this was our first cruise.

We went and saw the young lady who was selling the cruises and asked her for the best room on the ship.

We did want a suite or balcony but they dont have them.

The best they had was a Premier room with a large window, so I asked to book this.

To make the booking secure I payed the whole package in full. ( Not a deposit)

Yesterday I thought I would call and check all was OK only to find that I was in a room with a port hole as all the other rooms were booked by people who called and paid an extra 35 pounds.

If I knew that I had to pay another 35 pounds when booking it would not have been a problem.

I now have this feeling that as soon as they had all my money I went down the list.

It may sound a bit petty not getting a window but that was a large part of the holiday to me.

I also have 6 friends who have booked the same cruise so I have given them a good bit of buisness.

This is the first time I have been dissapointed with Thomson.

Billy.

Billy,

I think I would have words with head-office and exsplain the situation and also tell them about the new buisness you have bought them.

I think after booking so far ahead and be let down the least they could do is offer you some discount or free drinks on board etc.

I think Thomson need to put just as much effort in there after sales service as they do in selling you there holiday

Hope all goes well though and you enjoy your holiday :)

Best wishes

Nigel

Hi there Billy...I would give Thomson a ring again and see if they can offer you a change to a Superior Outside Plus cabin (which all have picture windows) Perhaps not quite as spacious but we had one on Emerald and it was very roomy! I would let them know that you had specifically asked for a picture window in your Premier cabin and are not happy to have a porthole...and as it is a special occasion etc. etc. you are most disappointed....or it may be that they will have a cancellation of one with a picture window...I would definitely keep pushing them !!!! Good luck!!

Thanks to the 3 of you for answering.

I have sent a letter to Thomson, and also thats a good idea about changing the cabin.

Anyway I read ny own post and I am stating to sound my age, so there will be no more moaning as I will enjoy myself even if I am sleeping in one of the life boats.

I hope you all have a great cruise.

Billy.

• 1 month later...

I ve just received a reply from Thomson regarding my opening post.

They have told me that it is normal to pay an extra 35 pounds if you upgrade your hotel in Majorca.

What the heck that has to do with my letter I dont know.

I can just imagine someone who had a complaint about a hotel reading about a cruise on the Emerald.

Billy

Hi Billy

Sorry you had problems with your room. We are on the Emerald in June as well. When do you sail? We loved the Celebration and are hoping the Emerald will be just as good.

Regards

Taylaboo

Hi Talyboo.

We sail on the 27th of June and are doing 2 weeks. You will love the Emerald, it is my favorite Thomson ship. It was my 1st cruise though so maybe your 1st is the best. It is smaller but the ports are by far the best and the rooms are bigger than the Destiny or the Celebration. Have a great time and when do you sail?

Billy.

Hi Billy

We sail Friday 13th June. Sooo excited. Nine more sleeps. Doing the Pearls of the Aegean then a week with friends in Corfu (again!). The Celebration was our first cruise, we did the Red Sea to Jordan and Egypt. The trips were amazing. Hope the Emerald lives up to her reputation. So glad we booked as its her last season. Dedicated cruisers now. Have you done any of the other ships, looking to cruise again October time. Enjoy your cruise.

Taylaboo

Hi Billy,

We also sail on the 27th June for one week, we're spending the second week in Corfu. As I've not noticed that anyone else was going on the 27th I thought my husband and myself would be the only two on board, it's nice to know there will be at least 10 people going now (ha ha)

Hope to meet you sometime!!

Taylaboo - not long now, don't forget to do that report when you come back, looking forward to reading that.

Wendy

Wendy.

Where are you flying from? My wife and I are Gatwick but the rest are Glasgow. We will arrive onboard about 10am and our friends about 1 hour later. We will all meet on the deck bar. If you and your husband fancy a drink when you get on board come and join us. I often get mistaken for Brad Pitt so you will be able to spot me. I am the only who has actually spotted the likeness though. Just joking look more like Fred Elliot. Hope we see you on board. Wont be long now.

Billy.

Hi Billy,

We're on the 7.15 am flight from Cardiff, don't know what time we'll be on board. It's our first cruise so I expect it will take a while to find our way around, but I'm sure we'll be ready for a drink and will find our way to the deck bar. Once we find out what time we're due on board will let you know.

Wendy

Archived