Southampton England

tu, Scott, for your answer. We ARE NOT hiring a car. :-) As far as using the train, we are in our late 60s and John has had back surgery.

SO, I'm back to asking if anyone knows a service to get us from Heathrow to South Hampton, via Stonehenge. We're arriving the morning before the cruise leaves (7/02 on QE2), so we have all day to explore.

Would like some recommendations. We have tried 2 that were listed and they said they were full up, but would recommond us to someone else. We never heard from the "someone else". Does anyone know a hotel in SH that would offer tours? We tried a B&B, but they were full. They also recommended another B&B. I emailed them & got no answer. HELP!

Thanks for any info you can give us.

Joann & John

Pondhopper I think you've mis-interpretted Globaliser's reply.

There is a direct train from Gatwick airport to Southampton every hour throughout the day on weekdays and Saturdays. Globaliser recommended taking that direct train to get to the hotel and then catching the Winchester train after checking in. He was recommending that a stop at Winchester on route to Southampton was a bad idea. Trying to do that would mean taking a different train journey and requires a train change at Clapham Junction.

On Sundays trains are much less convenient and the prefered route would, indeed, be via Clapham Junction.

I've flown the 'red eye' many times back from the USA. Even as a Brit I don't not feel safe having to drive, jet-lagged, straight off the plane. I would advise caution particularly to those unfamiliar with British driving conditions and laws.

There are 3 fast trains an hour between Southampton and Winchester (taking less than 20 minutes) to save having to drive once in Southampton.

Archived