TA or Princess Vacation Planner

Cathconnie

Just a couple of questions...:confused:

Any advise on booking a cruise using a TA or princess' vacation planner...I do not have a personal travel agent but there are many to choose from in the city or is just as easy to call Princess' Vacation planner??

I've been on a couple of cruises but have never been the one in charge of booking them.

Also, is the Princess Travel care something that would be an asset??

Any advise would be great!!

Thanks!!!:)

Just a couple of questions...:confused:

Any advise on booking a cruise using a TA or princess' vacation planner...I do not have a personal travel agent but there are many to choose from in the city or is just as easy to call Princess' Vacation planner??

I've been on a couple of cruises but have never been the one in charge of booking them.

Also, is the Princess Travel care something that would be an asset??

Any advise would be great!!

Thanks!!!:)

To me, I use online TA's. If you are unsure of what you want, need a little hand holding use a local TA. In my experience, PVP's are higher in price (there are exceptions as to promotions etc.). I opt for a third party provider for insurance as cruise lines' insurance do not cover yuor own flights etc. if not booked through them. I would certainly buy insurance, not just through them. Sources are:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ or http://www.insuremytrip.com/index-1000-0-30294-0.html

Good luck and get back with us with any questions....

You should shop around before booking with anyone. Prices on Princess vary greatly depending on the agency and their discounting policies. I'd suggest picking a company that sells just cruises as often large companies are so diversified that their cruise knowledge is limited. Yes travel insurance is a must. There are many agencies so again, do your homework.

Welcome to cruise critic.

You should shop around before booking with anyone. Prices on Princess vary greatly depending on the agency and their discounting policies. I'd suggest picking a company that sells just cruises as often large companies are so diversified that their cruise knowledge is limited. Yes travel insurance is a must. There are many agencies so again, do your homework.

Welcome to cruise critic.

I agree with you. One thing though, is to continue to watch fares up until you make final payment. If you have the right TA and the prices go down, he/she will try to get you the lower price. Insurance is a must in case you have to cancel. We always have done the Princess insurance because with airfare on our own we can always change flights for a fee. We did use insurance once when my mom got sick on board and yes, there is a charge for using the ship's medical center.

I agree with you. One thing though, is to continue to watch fares up until you make final payment. If you have the right TA and the prices go down, he/she will try to get you the lower price. Insurance is a must in case you have to cancel. We always have done the Princess insurance because with airfare on our own we can always change flights for a fee. We did use insurance once when my mom got sick on board and yes, there is a charge for using the ship's medical center.

True on getting a good TA. Ours always passes the price decrease along to us, plus totally can match the discount websites.

Insurance is a must. I got sick and had to be evacuated once. They not only paid our immediate flights home, we were reimbursed for the days we missed. That was a total surprised to us. Plus, we have had to cancel 3-4 booked cruises, so always get the insurance. Read the policy, as different cruiselines and ins. companies provide different types of coverage. Some cover cancellation, whereas others cover cutting the cruise short.

Can't give the name on CC but we always use the online site that has TA's compete for your business. Just plug in the ship and date you want and TA's bid for your business. Saves us hundreds of dollars over Princewss site!

We used a TA that "bid" for our business, as well... I'm very happy with the deal we got. I did have to contact them twice about the insurance, though. An online TA may or may not provide "personalized" service, and selecting the lowest price MIGHT get you less service, though not necessarily.

You could try a local, face-to-face TA, if for nothing else, to get a quote, and see if the online TAs can beat it! When flying, I usually book local, as they get me the best flight/schedule for my needs.

We did insist that we wanted Princess Travel Care Gold... it is our first cruise, and DH and I just feel better about it. After this, we may do more shopping around, research, etc., and select a different travel insurance carrier, but for this trip, we are pretty paranoid! :)

I prefer to book directly with the cruise line. If you give up your reservation to a TA the cruise line will not speak to you. I have read about people being upset they couldn't reach their TA's on week ends or after 5PM and wanted to jump on something. If a TA was offering something i thought was worthwhile i would give them my booking a day before final payment was due to get that perk. By that point everything in my booking would be as i wanted anyway.

If you prefer to book directly you can always transfer existing booking to a ta up until final payment. That way, as stated abouve you have access to changes and can book as you wish then transfer and have discounts appplied. This will probably require a fax from you but is simple.

Archived