Cruise Insurance Advice, please

LoyHAL

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this [although I'm sure I've seen it somewhere!]. Anyhow, what do you all do about cruise insurance. When I book a cruise, I'm encouraged to purchase the insurance.

Is it possible to wait until just before you make that final payment and then buy the insurance? I'm booking cruises over a year out now, and if we decide not to go after all -- for whatever reason -- I'm stuck for the insurance.

Any advice?

Thanks,

LoyHAL

I use insuremytrip dot com and look for the lowest price for the coverage I want. For what I need, that is much cheaper than HAL's coverage. The advantage to purchasing early (within 14 days of initial deposit for most companies, 21 days for a few) is that the coverage is better -- pre-existing conditions are covered, for example. So the timing of your purchase depends on why you want the coverage -- are you just concerned about weather delays or are you worried about a health condition or elderly parents.

Some people don't buy trip insurance at all, but I like the peace of mind. It would be so sad to have to cancel a cruise -- I couldn't stand taking a financial hit too!

Another good site is www.tripinsurancestore.com There's a lot of good comments on CC about them.

Not to pick over words, but it's trip insurance, not just cruise insurance. The point is there's a lot more at financial stake than just the cost of the cruise itself. Also consider that you can insure for a lot of "heaven forbid" situations that you might expect to come up during the next year...loss of job, serious illness of family member, accident, job commitments, etc. Another reason I'd buy sooner rather than later is protection against bankruptcy of a provider. Although there are limitations and fine print, I'd expect the limitations and/or cost to increase as more travel providers and operators go bankrupt. Better to lock in terms and price now!

FYI, I don't have any financial interest in any insurance company...in fact, I generally avoid "consumer" insurance. But I always buy trip insurance since the financial loss far exceeds the modest premium. Once, my son went OTB on his dirt bike the day before a cruise....he was OK and we made the cruise. But dodging a bullet made me glad I had bought insurance and I'm a definite believer....life happens!

I usually buy the insusrance around final payment time. I don't like payiing it a year ahead. Last year I had to use it. My husband got sick on the cruise and we had to come home early. We were supposed to come home from New York by bus instead flew home from San Juan--expensive.

I usually buy the insusrance around final payment time. I don't like payiing it a year ahead. Last year I had to use it. My husband got sick on the cruise and we had to come home early. We were supposed to come home from New York by bus instead flew home from San Juan--expensive.

Archived