"unplanned" vacation?

TRACE

Everyone plans this & that, would like to hear from someone who just played it as it came. What did you do? Is there any excursion you heard about that you wished you had done? An excursion to avoid?

Trace

I would suggest that if you would like to do any excursion from the ship you sign up the first day.

We went with only having planned horseback riding w/ Randi's Happy Horses. This excursion was not with the ship. The rest was going to be do as we go. We went on a very limited budget and I was so lucky as to win Bingo for $1000 and wanted to do the dolphin swim. We were unable to do this as it was full on Tuesday.

Kris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Trace,

I was on the Norwegian Star on Oct.12

Since my husband & I are not into water sports or beaches, we didn't book any shore excursions.

THe only excursion we booked was in Acapulco to see the cliff divers at night & the Fort of San Diego sound & light show.

Seeing the divers at night was great because they turn off the lights for the 10:30 pm show & the last diver dives with torches in each hand.

The sound & light show was like being back in school. You sit outside & watch a video of the history of Acapulco. I wouldn't recommend it.

For Cabo, we just walked on the walkway all the way around to the huge mall. It's brand new.

For Puerto Vallarta, we took a taxi into town $3, saw the Lady of Guadeloupe church, took a taxi back to the Wal-Mart Supercenter, stocked up on pop & candies & walked back to the ship.

For Acapulco, during the day, we did go ashore. Don't go with anyone who offers to take you to the flea market. It's 4 blocks away & after a few turns in there, you're totally disoriented when you exit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, YES it helps very much I'm on a tight budget, not ashamed to say, and deep down, I sort of knew we will have fun without spending alot. Thanks again!

No need to buy the cliff divers excursion in Acapulco. It is within walking distance of the ship if you don't mind one hill. Walk to the divers, pay the nominal fee as compared with the big fee- you can see just as well - stop at the central plaza for refreshments and people-watching on the way back. The ports are interesting enough without spending big bucks on excursions, except for something special. Hire a driver with other passengers for an hour or two. They'll be swarming all over the docks. Swimming with the dolphins was worth every penny, though, IMO. Will probably splurge on the canopy tour this Xmas.

You'll have fun regardless. Enjoy.

Bev

Archived