HAL Ship Shuttle in Venice?

rich8468

This summer we are on the Zuiderdam that has an overnight in Venice. Does HAL provide a shuttle from the port to San Marco (as some guidebooks suggest that some cruise lines do) or is it really a short walk to Piazzale Roma where you can connect with the vaporetto system?

We will be arriving in Venice by ship with an overnight stay. My understanding is that the ship will provide transportation but at a cost. I think we are going to take the vaporetto to the airport and hope it isn't too much of a pain in the neck.

We will be arriving in Venice by ship with an overnight stay. My understanding is that the ship will provide transportation but at a cost. I think we are going to take the vaporetto to the airport and hope it isn't too much of a pain in the neck.

We were in Venice last week, after our Noordam cruise (took the train from Rome). The vaporetto system is really easy to use; just be certain to ask the vaporetto crewmember on the dock if it's going where you want to go because some of them, particularly the No. 1 line, only cover part of the route and it's sometimes confusing about which direction the boat is going. Also, note that the route listed in most guidebooks as No. 82 is now just the No. 2.

Cost has recently increased to 6.50 euro. You can get a 12 hour pass for (I think?) 12.00 euro and a 24 hour pass for 14.00. They also have a 48 hour pass, but I don't recall the cost of it. Note that you need to stamp your pass in the yellow box on the dock before boarding the boat.

If I recall correctly, vaporetto do not go to the airport, but another water bus service does.

Check the ports section of CC and search for Venice transportation. - you should find name of that other water bus service.

Venice is one of our favorites - you'll love it! (Except the prices.)

I just received an email from Venice Card, directing me to their new site. The link is attached below if anyone is interested.

High time they updated the process for booking this - I find it is well worth it if you are hanging around Venice for a few days - you get unlimited access to the Vaporetto system as well as "no-line" access to Doge's Palace, St. Marks and some of the museums in the square and elsewhere (although not Accademia).

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/venicecard/index.jsp

I received the update as a result of reserving a hold for Venice Card, which was a royal pain, because you had to indicate on the old site what date and location (of only three places) you wanted to pick these up - seems they have expanded the availability to make this easier to get. Their email indicated that this was cancelled and I would have to reserve using the new site which I will do now.

I haven't reviewed the prices (it is Venice, so I am sure they have gone up again) but I wanted to post this so others on this thread could see for themselves and make an informed decision.

Enjoy all!

Archived