Buck, back from the Star today, May 11th

buckspc

I am not going to write a report but will take questions if any one is interested, pretty standard cruise, a few problems but over all I would say a 98. One point, its real cold and windy, take warm clothes, gloves, hat with ear covers, like a stocking cap, big jacket, we did and are sure glad, everyone saying this is real cold for this time of year, hopefully it will warm up for next cruises. Buck

The daughter thing worked out fine, dress up nights shoes were worn, other nights in the dinning room you saw everything, food was great, lots of good seafood, crab legs, lobster, and all kinds of fish, portions were big, I didn't feel the need to visit the special rests. and every time I passed they were not very full, dinning room food was so good no one saw the need to go there.

Paxs coming from shore had on such warm clothes of all kinds, so the dress in the dinning room was super casual except on dress up nights and then some worn the same things as they had on during the day. The notice only said, no ts or shorts in DR and thats all.

Alaska was great, still real wild, don't miss any of the talks that Allan Cortage gives, (the ships naturalist) he is great, coffee is undrinkable after a couple of days, had to go to the Lobby Bar in the morning and pay for fresh brewed, it was only $1.25 for a large cup but if you like coffee like me, go there.

Had some problems with our cabin attendant, keep the room clean but would come in on us even with the do not sign out, he would say he had 18 cabins to clean and had to get started, he did not get an extra tip.

Tired of writing, any more questions will be happy to respond, it was a great cruise and I do really like Princess, they do a great job most of the time, it was my first with them and I will return. Buck

......for the report -

I can't get an answer altho posted on 2 threads - Is there Chef's Table on the Star??? - We are going in Aug. and would like to try the Chef's Table if it is oferred............

I'm hoping weather will be a bit warmer when we sail - being 'southern' we feel the cold ..........

How were the beds and bedding?? We are in a mini but some in our group have a Balc. and the kids are Insides.....

Do all the cabins have the Duvets?? How about the Mattress'? I've read a lot - (mostl do not like the mattress' )- but nothing specific to the Star now......I plan to fax for egg crate matress toppers for all.

Thanks for your comments............:)

Had some problems with our cabin attendant, keep the room clean but would come in on us even with the do not sign out, he would say he had 18 cabins to clean and had to get started, he did not get an extra tip.

OMG! Wow. :eek:

Buck~

Glad you had a good time on the cruise. My family and I will be on the Star June 8. We are on the dolphin deck in a mini - can you comment on the bedding (I know that they will get upgraded in Sept)? Is there anything you wish you had done but didn't get to? If I understand correctly, my hubby only needs a "sports" jacket with a couple of ties and a few button down shirts, otherwise, shirts and sweater vests? What did you do in the ports?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am really getting excited about our first Alaskan cruise. We have always been in the caribbean. Anything else you can suggest is very welcome.

Elizabeth

In ports we didn't do to much as the weather was so cold, we did take the train to White pass, took a tour in most ports, depends on what you are interested in.

As for dress, most wore dark suit but you see everything from not dressed up at all to most dresssed up, I worried about so many things before, it begins to take the pleasure out of cruising, just have a good time, do what pleases you and dont worry about all the little details, it all works out for the best.

If Libby Riddles comes on the ship don't miss her talk, she is the first woman to win the Ididarod dogsled race, very interesting talk and show. Take warm clothes, hopfully the weather will be warmer when you go, but it was so cold and windy for us, we were sure glad we had them, you can always take off a layer if it gets warm.

Have a good time and don't worry about little details, Buck

Buck~

We are on the dolphin deck in a mini - can you comment on the bedding (I know that they will get upgraded in Sept)? Is there anything you wish you had done but didn't get to? If I understand correctly, my hubby only needs a "sports" jacket with a couple of ties and a few button down shirts, otherwise, shirts and sweater vests? What did you do in the ports?

We just came off the same cruise as Buck. We had a mini suite on Emerald deck. It was a big surprise to find that the bed was very comfortable; didn't even need an egg crate. I peeked under the sheets and the mattress looked brand new. It seems that they load on new soft goods at many of the embarkation ports. We saw huge stacks of lounge chair pads being put aboard in Seattle. These are nice, thick pads. Of course, the only lounge chairs used much were those in the covered pool area, and the popular conservatory balcony above it.

The coffee, on the other hand, WAS as horrible as others have stated.

I made good use of my coffee card at the 5th floor lobby bar.

The first formal night my husband wore a black suit, dress shirt, and tie.

The second formal night he just put a sport jacket on over slacks and a polo shirt. We saw only a very few men in tuxedos. Several just wore slacks and long sleeved shirts...no jacket or tie. Everyone was neat and tidy, and at no time did it seem to matter to anyone what folks were wearing. Like Buck, I spent too much worrying about a non-issue.

BTW, I'm sorry to hear his daughter put shoes on. I was on the look out for someone in flip flops, so I could say "Howdy".

Archived