Passengers beware

Clipper T

Wow, I am surprised. I work in and live near Baltimore, so I rarely take cabs here, but I thought smaller cities would be safer on scams like that. It did happen to me in New York City one night, after dark, when a cabbie told me (to go 7 blocks) it would be $20 because that was the "arrangement" that he had made with the friend who had hailed him and then put me in the cab.Fibber. I paid him $10 and was done with it.

Same thing is happening in Fort Lauderdale. I did not catch that the meter was not turned on. He tried to charge us $21.00 from the pier to the Marriot Marina. This is normally a $10 to $12 ride. We argued him down to $15. The two elderly ladies in the cab behind us paid $22.00. The police say it is not their problem and it is a civil matter.

I agree on FT Lauderdale even gave the driver written instuctions to our hotel he sd he knew right where it was, took us to the same hotel chain on wrong side of town dropped us and our luggage in drive got paid tipped and left. Inside we found we were on wrong side of town. Yellow cab appoligised sent another cab and $80 later we got to right hotel. 2 letters and numerous phone calls later suprise NO ACTION AT ALL. We wont be staying at our favorite hotel in ft laud again because the only way to get there is by cab. learned that lesson well.

Archived