Snorkel from the beach or by boat??

CruisinCandy

I've never been to Roatan and I've seen rave reviews about how great the snorkeling is. Which is better? To snorkel from shore/beach or to snorkel by boat? I'd really appreciate if anyone has done both to be able to compare and contrast.

My question assumes that money is not the issue, but the quality of snorkeling and seeing the most and diverse types of wildlife, coral, etc.

I also assume that water conditions are equal for both as well. Thanks

Andy

I've done a great deal of snorkeling and scuba in Roatan's waters, both from shore and from boats. I generally prefer snorkeling from shore, but it's really just a personal preference, not due to any big differences in what you might see. When snorkeling, I prefer shallower water (you're closer to the reef) and the ability to come & go as I please instead of being tied to the boat's schedule.

There's not a great deal of difference in the quality. Pretty much all the way around the island, the reef is very near shore - close enough to swim to without a great deal of effort. By boat, you might get to some spots that you wouldn't ordinarily get to from shore, but some of the ops will take you to pretty much the same areas that shore based snorkelers go to. By boat you'll likely start further out, by the shelf where it drops from 20-30 feet deep into deep-water ocean. This might provide an opportunity to spot some bigger creatures, but that's pretty much a "luck of the draw" issue.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you recommend a good location for shore snorkeling? I read from one post on the boards that Bay Island Beach Resort is great. Any opinions if you only have one day for shore snorkeling - what is the best bet?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you recommend a good location for shore snorkeling? I read from one post on the boards that Bay Island Beach Resort is great. Any opinions if you only have one day for shore snorkeling - what is the best bet?

There are a number of great places for shore snorkeling; which is best for you depends somewhat on what you're after overall. If you care primarily about the snorkeling, don't want to be around crowds, and don't need a fantastic beach area:

Bay Islands Beach Resort or Cocoview Resort are both great. Cocoview has phenomenal shallow water snorkeling, with tons of small animal/fish life if you take it nice & slow. BIBR has nice shallow water reef & an interesting spot known as "Spooky Channel."

If you want a great beach in addition to excellent snorkeling, go to the West Bay Beach area (this is where Tabiyana Beach Resort, Fosters, etc are located). The snorkeling is excellent at the far end of the beach, where the sand turns to rocky iron shore.

The snorkeling is also good in Half Moon Bay area (the little bay in West End community). There's a smaller beach area here - nicer than what they have at Cocoview or BIBR but not as pretty/scenic as West Bay. There are also a number of little shops, bars, and restaurants in the community.

Tabyana Beach was great for snorkeling. We had 2 persons in our party who have done alot of snorkeling and said it was some of the best snorkeling they had done. I had only snorkeled once before somewhere else and it wasn't good but I want to go back here just to snorkel. We saw all types of fish - big and little. The parrot fish was beautiful. Also there were lots of fish that would swim right up to you and touch you. Nice coral too.

Just a suggestion, we had a fantastic day with a young man named Brett, we booked him through Captain Vans. He was ours for the day and provided great service. Our package included a welcome drink at Banannarama resort at West Bay, a lounge chair, and use of the facilities there. They have a nice clean shaded area to eat lunch and a large bar with really good live music. The snorkeling was very good if you travel down the beach to the iron shore and swim out to the coral shelf, not far, and snorkel your way back to Bananrama. Bret kept our things secure and watched our chairs the entire time.

You won't go wrong either way, but this is one place where I actually think snorkeling from the beach is better. The quality of the snorkeling so close to shore is amazing! We were in Roatan in April and went to Tabyana Beach and it was excellent: pristine, calm waters, and amazing scenery. My boyfriend and I have spent a lot of time snorkeling in a lot of different places, and this ranks up with the best we've ever done. The good thing about the beach is you can spend as much time out there as you want instead of having to adhere to the boat's schedule. We literally spent about 85% of our time there out in the water. I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Just a suggestion, we had a fantastic day with a young man named Brett, we booked him through Captain Vans. He was ours for the day and provided great service. Our package included a welcome drink at Banannarama resort at West Bay, a lounge chair, and use of the facilities there. They have a nice clean shaded area to eat lunch and a large bar with really good live music. The snorkeling was very good if you travel down the beach to the iron shore and swim out to the coral shelf, not far, and snorkel your way back to Bananrama. Bret kept our things secure and watched our chairs the entire time.

Cruisecrzy - I found the Captain Vans website and it looks like a great idea. I have a couple of questions....where did they pick you up? Were they waiting for you when you got off the ship? Did he talk about the island and tell you a little about what you were seeing on the drive to the West Bay? On the way back will he stop at shopping/etc before heading back to the ship? :D

THanks!!!!

Holly

I've done a great deal of snorkeling and scuba in Roatan's waters, both from shore and from boats. I generally prefer snorkeling from shore, but it's really just a personal preference, not due to any big differences in what you might see. When snorkeling, I prefer shallower water (you're closer to the reef) and the ability to come & go as I please instead of being tied to the boat's schedule.

There's not a great deal of difference in the quality. Pretty much all the way around the island, the reef is very near shore - close enough to swim to without a great deal of effort. By boat, you might get to some spots that you wouldn't ordinarily get to from shore, but some of the ops will take you to pretty much the same areas that shore based snorkelers go to. By boat you'll likely start further out, by the shelf where it drops from 20-30 feet deep into deep-water ocean. This might provide an opportunity to spot some bigger creatures, but that's pretty much a "luck of the draw" issue.

We'll be cruise ship visitors and want best snorkel experience from shore - what do you recommend? What about Bananrama area? Don't want a ton of people there....

• 2 months later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! Bret picked us up right outside the gate at the port, and that is where he dropped us off at also. Bret was very informative about the island and the life and culture there. He was great to answerall our questions and knew just where to take us to give us the best possible day! He will take you where you wan tto go and where you want to shop, he knew the best places to get the "deals". They do have set tours at a bit lower cost, but this personal service was worth every $!!

Archived