Thinking of cruising from New Oreans...HELP

We just sailed on her April 28. My husband is VERY prone to motion sickness and we experienced quite a bit of rocking even though the weather was AWESOME and he never got sick. We both took Bonine and that worked great. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, French Quarter New Orleans on Magazine St. Beautiful hotel, the front desk arranged for a 15 passenger van to pick us up (there were 6 of us with waaaayyy too much luggage) at 11 am. He arrived a few minutes early, took us right to the port, knew the traffic cops at the drop off zone so he passed the long line and drove us right up to the curb. They picked up our luggage, we entered the building and were on the ship within 30-40 minutes. The drivers name was Paul and they use him a lot at that hotel. He was so nice (heck, everyone was nice). This was my second cruise (first was two years ago on the Celebration for my daughters senior year with the show choir, we LOVED it) and my husbands first to see if he could handle one without getting sick.... Thank God he didn't get sick, he LOVED it and we are now planning another for April/May 2010 with Carnival again. The service and staff are outstanding, our waiter, Arnell, was absolutely fantastic, he was so much fun, we loved him (I should have brought him home, LOL). Leaving was just as easy as getting on. We stayed on the Lido deck after breakfast with our group until they called our number. We waited in line for about 15 minutes to get our luggage, paid a porter to gather and wheel the luggage with us through customs (don't carry your own luggage through customs as the line is about 5 times longer that if you have a porter, they take you through the fast customs line). We were through customs and getting our bus transfer to the airport within 30-40 minutes. Got an earlier flight out of New Orleans (with Stevie Wonder on our flight even). So it was just a really smooth experience all the way around!

we went out of NOLA last august and doing it again this year. i loved it. we stayed at the drury also. took a taxi to the terminal and got straight in line. i love leaving out of there...it was so beautiful. i dont want to go on the ectasy because the price is so much higher for the same amt of time to drive.

i took bonine the night before we left and only one night on the cruise. and i really think that was because the bailey shot after dinner lol.

so i say book your cruise-you wont regret it.

I didn't have any problem or even notice any real unusual movement leaving N/O but coming back it was a bit rough. Woke me up in the middle of the night and I was convinced I spinal meningitis . . . my head hurt so bad with all the rock and rolling. Weeellll, I guess it could have been the martini's though. Just maybe. But anyway, it was rougher coming back into port than it was leaving.

Drury Inn is about 4 blocks from terminal, towards the Superdome. It is on Poydras Street, and the Charles Streetcar is really close. They give you snacks in the evening, full breakfast in the morning. It is in a restored building and is ranked #1 on tripadvisor.

There are other hotels that have free parking. I found the site where to get the discounts on the New Orleans board here. Drury fit our needs the best (there are 5 of us, so a two room suite is cheaper than 2 complete hotel rooms.)

We are also going on the Fantasy in July and staying at the Drury Inn. When in July are you going?

we are on the July 21 sailing. We are driving down on sunday, hopefully to be there around 3 or 4. DH is hoping to let the kids swim, order them pizza, then leave them to go walk around the French quarter and have a bite to eat ourselves. By kids, we mean our 18, 15 and 5 year old, so one of them is actually an adult!

Be sure to look at all the boats that are dry-docked as you are leaving. A few are old cruise ships. It takes 5-6 hours to make it down the river.

For those of you traveling during Hurricane season, I highly encourage you to buy travel insurance. We were on the Conquest's last sailing out of NO. We literally tried to out-run Hurricane Katrina. We were diverted to Galveston. Our travel insurance paid for our emergency flight home. Carnival was not paying for flights unless you had booked directly through them., We made it back the day before the Hurricane hit land. It took two months to get my car back (long story). If anyone wants to hear all the crazy stories from that cruise you can e-mail me at : msublonde1@yahoo.com

We are sailing on the Ecstacy on September 15th (great prices if anyone is looking for a good deal on a 5 day cruise). We'll be buying travel insurance again.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the stories. Now that we've actually booked our cruise I cant get anything done today besides read and post on these boards. They helped so much with our first cruise last summer on the conquest!! We've never been to NO so this is extra exciting!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the stories. Now that we've actually booked our cruise I cant get anything done today besides read and post on these boards. They helped so much with our first cruise last summer on the conquest!! We've never been to NO so this is extra exciting!!

I hope you plan on spending a few days in New Orleans. It's a wonderful place.

Donna

Thanks Magic!

The "Katrina" cruise was our favorite so far. Not because of the places we went, but because of the awesome folks we met on CC. I still keep up with two of the four families that we met.

The thing about cruising is to make the most of it. We have the best time on a cruise. I"m actually digitally scrapbooking our cruise pictures right now. I took my first cruise alone on the Holiday when I was 26. That ship will always have a special place in my heart. It literally changed my life and my outlook on things. So, despite the bad weather or rough sea, have fun everyone! There is no reason not to have a blast on a cruise. After all, it is what YOU make of it!

ugh..four more months til my cruise!

I know we are still 11 months (ugh) but I am excited about going out of NO once again. It is not a bad drive from Memphis. Straight shot. We were suppose to leave out of there on the Conquest when Katrina hit and was moved to Galveston. Love NO. We plan on staying over night after the cruise to hit some of our favorite spots.

Anyone have pictures of the Fantasy? Would love to see them.

Hi people, Bull Dog here! I am with Sally May and we are going to be sailing out of NOLA on April 18, 2009, on the Fantasy! Can't wait! We have sailed her type of Ship before the Sensation and it was fantastic. The food in NO is awesome. Mud buggs by the bucket, oysters on the half shell, cold frosty beers, NOLA is very friendly place and people are happy to see you. I forgot Binyeas (spelling) and coffee, thats just homeboy good food. Well people Bull Dog must get back to work. I be back after a while....Y-ALL be safe!

Bull Dog gone!

Archived