Back from the Spirit 5/11 trip.

noahsmom

My DH and DS (4yrs old) and I just got back from the Spirit 5/11 trip. It was the Fl and Bahamas trip.

It was my DH and DS first cruise and my second. We took the NJ Transit in to Penn Station and then took a cab to the Port. Thanks to all for the info on the cab.

Boarding the ship was painless and quick. I was able to smuggle some wine and rum in my carry on (rum runners) Very easy. I had soda in my checked bags and it was delivered to our stateroom without a problem.

Our stateroom was typical (ocean view picture window).A lot of room for your clothes and other necessities. The shower is very roomy.

Spirit employee's are very polite, friendly and always there to help you. I never saw a frown or "bad attitude" from anyone.

The food was fabulous in Garden's, Windows and Shogun. Services was also wonderful. We ate at Garden's two nights, Window's one night and Shogun one night.

Garden's was very busy on the second night we ate there. It was a port night in Bahamas. We didn't really get the service we had on the first night. Understandably being as busy as they were. The waiters were still pleasant. I just felt a little rushed to eat.

Raffles was your typical buffet food. Average to good. DS loved the ice cream at lunch and dinner. Cookies in the afternoon. The Salad bar is really good and so are the waffles at breakfast. DH loved the Omelet Station.

Kid's Club was really awesome. My DS is a very shy child. They didn't force him to talk. He made a few friends and had a great time. They had arts and crafts with the kids. Watched some movies and the crew even took the kids to dinner one night to Window's. My DS loved the ball pit.

Entertainment wasn't on the great side. My DH and I saw only one show. Broadway. Typical cruise show. My DS went to see the Magic Show with kids crew. He loved it. I did see just the ending of it and it did look like a great show. Wish I didn't miss it.

DH and I spent most of our time in Henry's Pub. Randon is a great entertainer. If you like James Taylor, you will like him.

During the day, nothing really to do. Sat at the pool, went to Galaxy of the Stars and just hung out. Bingo was going on and everyone was having a great time but I'm not a Bingo player. Worked out in the fitness room. Not very big, but everyone took their turns on the treadmill. There was a few Yoga and Pilate's classes during the mornings but I didn't go. Should have since I gained 3 lbs.

Excursions - Florida - Wildlife Encounter Pontoon Boat - Very nice people. Did see some manatee and dolphins and a lot of different birds. Nice homes on the canals.

Bahamas - SEE & SEA - A little disappointing. We took a boat out of the harbor and that was nice hearing about the homes. We then were transferred to the "Submarine" boat. We were able to see quite a few fish but when I went up top to take my DS to the bathroom, I noticed we were in the same place as we were when we started the tour. They just drive in a small circle for about 45 mins.

We then went back to the shore for a "SEE" the town tour. BIG disappointment. The "tour guide" had no idea how long the tour was supposed to be. He showed us things that really weren't of interest. My DH,DS and I asked to get off at the public beach.

Grand Bahama Island - Just took a taxi to Lucayan Port. Went swimming at the beach and went to the shops. Beware of some of the taxi drivers. They will promise to pick you up and then never show back up. We paid both ways and we had to get another driver to take us back. The first driver did give us his card so we didn't pay for the ride back. Other's weren't as lucky.

My family and I had a great time on our cruise. I really love the "Freestyle" concept. If anyone has an questions please ask.

We received new pillows about the second night of the cruise. That's it as far as 2.0. Some did say they saw new mattresses going on board at our disembarkation but I didn't see that. They are probably weaning into 2.0 and should have it all in play in June.

Hi Stacia - it was good to meet you and i'm glad your family really enjoyed the spirit. your ds was very sweet! my dd loved the kids club too. i was pretty disappointed in their limited hours, particularly on port days. we didnt do any of the excursions because i felt like it would be a waste of $$ at my dd's age. but the ship was really boring for kids on port days. the kids pool was pretty useless for the 2-5 set, not to mention freezing cold. my gf and i were wishing they would at least open the ballpit for free play during off-hours. but other than trying to keep the kids amused, we had a good time. i think i'll wait till dd is a little older before cruising again.

take care and happy cruising!

Lori

Archived