Photos vs. Cameras

The 800 has a better “feel” than the 400 but seems kind of large (can’t display the whole picture on screen at one time). Can we use 600 or 640?.

You mean you can't see that whole shot on your monitor?? What kind of resolution do you have your display set at? Just curious, as that 800pix image takes up less than half the real estate of my screen. :confused:

A GREAT idea! I want to learn more and this could be the 'class' that will

keep my attention and keep my camera busy between vacations! :D

Count me in the group of not getting the hang of posting pictures directly - so my first assignment will be just that!

i'm in also, need to learn the picasa thing to upload, or whatever form is chosen. i'm a real amateur at this, need to have a fast learning curve for upcoming cruise:) i'll give it my best "shot":p

If everyone is in agreement on the first assignment being "Introduce Yourself", I guess I'll elect myself to do the step-by-step for setting up Picasa for linking and outline the nature of the photos we're looking for. I may also do (time permitting) a step-by-step for PhotoBucket as well so there's a bit of a choice.

Questions?

Comments?

Suggestions?

Tentative start this coming Sunday?

Dave

If everyone is in agreement on the first assignment being "Introduce Yourself", I guess I'll elect myself to do the step-by-step for setting up Picasa for linking and outline the nature of the photos we're looking for. I may also do (time permitting) a step-by-step for PhotoBucket as well so there's a bit of a choice.

Questions?

Comments?

Suggestions?

Tentative start this coming Sunday?

Dave

Sounds great. I have been swamped with work and bird rehab lately. Plus, I'm terrible at writing tutorials. Iwould have just linked to the respective site's page and said 'read the instructions'. :eek:

I'd also like to participate, as time permits. I do have some experience, but it is always nice to learn new things and get more practice. I have both p&s and dslr cameras.

• 1 month later...

I love these ideas and I'd love to participate.

The suggestion to upload only photos of a certain size will be one of those things I need to learn how to do! Specifically, is the sizing decided before you take the picture (related to quality) or can it be changed as one would change other formatting?

I would participate. There is no question that I have a lot to learn. A couple of thoughts.

1. I use Photobucket http://photobucket.com/?special_track=nav_logo to store images I post on the web. It is free and allows one to resize photos.

2. I agree with the 800 pixel size. Nothing like waiting for a photo to load.

3. What's the first assignment?

I love these ideas and I'd love to participate.

The suggestion to upload only photos of a certain size will be one of those things I need to learn how to do! Specifically, is the sizing decided before you take the picture (related to quality) or can it be changed as one would change other formatting?

You would make a smaller copy of the original for uploading. Do NOY reduce the original! Once reduced, it can never be returned to it's original size without loss of quality.

Dave

I would participate. There is no question that I have a lot to learn. A couple of thoughts.

1. I use Photobucket http://photobucket.com/?special_track=nav_logo to store images I post on the web. It is free and allows one to resize photos.

2. I agree with the 800 pixel size. Nothing like waiting for a photo to load.

3. What's the first assignment?

Photobucket is fine. Any online sharing site that supports linking is useable.

The first assignment is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007

Have fun!

Dave

You would make a smaller copy of the original for uploading. Do NOY reduce the original! Once reduced, it can never be returned to it's original size without loss of quality.

Dave

I wish I didn't have to show my lack of knowledge but...How, exactly, do I "make a smaller copy of the original"? (I'm actually pretty good with computers...a virtual "whiz kid" with Excel...)

I wish I didn't have to show my lack of knowledge but...How, exactly, do I "make a smaller copy of the original"? (I'm actually pretty good with computers...a virtual "whiz kid" with Excel...)

I always considered the practice of asking questions a virtue! :)

You resize the image in your editor of choice and choose Save As, giving it a different name or add an "a" or something as a suffix. Same as saving a copy of a spreadsheet.

Take a look at my article on batch resizing here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchResize.htm

It has a link to a utility called IrfanView that is an amazing file viewing tool.

You may also want to download Picasa from google. It is a powerful organizational tool and has many editing utilities, including an Export feature with resizing that couldn't be any easier and still need a human to run it!:D

Hang in there...if you can whiz with Excel, this will be easy!

Dave

Love it! I'm in for sure! I'm more of an artsy guy trying to get unique personal images of ports around the world, and I would love something like that. Right now im experimenting heavily with colour manipulations but would also love some discussion on technique, leading lines, rule of thirds, and all things digital! Looking forward to the first assignment. http://www.cruiseports.wordpress.com

Archived