Photos vs. Cameras

Hey, Mac,

I took those lion pix as well...when the triplets were quite small...they must be adolescence now :) But my pictures weren't very good - the little ones didn't cooperate - somehow wanted to either sleep out of range or tumble in the grass out of sight!

I got some pics while one of them was actually holding it's head up! Those cats are just as lazy as my cat at home!

Saturday was a beautiful weather for the zoo, a perfect day.

MAC

800 on the long side will allow for different aspect ratios. I mentioned 800x600 simply because 4:3 is a common aspect ratio for a P&S (though many are moving toward HDTV's 16:9).

A thread per assignment sounds like a good idea. We could use a common naming convention and a combination of assignment number with a descriptive name so, as you mentioned, latecomers could climb aboard and follow along.

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #01 - Introduce Yourself!

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #02 - Rule of Thirds

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #03 - Magic Hour!

...etc.

I agree the first post should lay out the assignment and include any reference links.

This brew is fermenting quickly!

Dave

If you restrict this to point & shoot users, you're prohibiting a lot of other people from participating. Don't think that DSLR users automatically take better pictures than point and shoot cameras. I compete with a Sony H5 at my camera club and frequently win over more experienced DSLR owners. While there are certain circumstances where a DSLR can take pictures that a point & shoot couldn't, for general purposes, when posting a 800 x 600 pixel image you can't tell which kind of camera took it. Also, with the advent of cheaper DSLRs, a lot of beginners are jumping right up to the DSLRs without knowing a lot about photographic terms or techniques, and would probably benefit from participating.

Secondly, by excluding DSLRs, the more experienced members with vast knowledge aren't going to be able to participate and probably won't be inclined to comment much either. While we learn from our mistakes, we can also learn from good examples.

Oh, I don't think we should restrict ourselves to any type of camera. I'm sorry that wasn't clear. I just don't want p&s users to feel excluded or daunted. P&S users are probably the majority on this board, as opposed to more 'intense', for lack of a better term, photo boards. I definitely hope dslr users will participate. Several, including myself, are already on board.

The idea is for this friendly community to discuss photo technique and skills in a way that helps everyone advance. I also think it's important to avoid even the aura of competition.

I have to admit, I'm starting to feel a little daunted by the task, though.

I have to admit, I'm starting to feel a little daunted by the task, though.

Please don't feel that way.......I don't think this should be anything but fun and a learning experience for everyone! Looking at your pictures, I see you have a lot to offer.

#1 rule..........relax and have fun. Right?!

In the spirit of brainstorming: One of the online classes I've taken had the instructor's lesson in one post and assignments and comments for that lesson in another. This may not be practical here, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case.

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #02A - Post photos and comments here

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #03A - Post photos and comments here

In the spirit of brainstorming: One of the online classes I've taken had the instructor's lesson in one post and assignments and comments for that lesson in another. This may not be practical here, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case.

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #02A - Post photos and comments here

PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - #03A - Post photos and comments here

IMHO

Because of the date-centric order of posting, the instructive/announcement post and the response post will surely get separated. I would still recommend a single post per assignment, or at least including the subject in the post name for easy identification.

Dave

I've been mostly lurking on this board and have enjoyed the educational context of many of the conversations. I have recently come back to photography after a several-decade absence (work/life got too busy and not as much fun, so time to put the fun back in!). I've always considered myself an avid amateur photographer and I love capturing the special as well as the mundane events around me. I've had my Olympus SP500UZ for about 1 1/2 years and still have only explored a smidgen of its potential. I'd love to participate in something like this. Since I'm still working on decreasing the work/life busy thing and increasing the fun part, I will take part as I am able, but will at least keep reading, learning and adding my two cents when I feel I have something to add to the conversation.

Great suggestion!

I would love to participate in something like this. i am a pretty new DSLR owner, and really a beginner photographer. I have some of the basics under my belt, but only because I am a graphic designer, so as a result I know what I like in a picture, and it's my goal to try to recreate myself some of the stuff that stuns me when I am doing photo composition graphic design work.

Not all DSLR owners are professionals. :) I am eager to learn more and try to get the most out of my camera.

I’ve been mulling over our options for the photo assignment activity. Some random thoughts:

Perhaps a 800 pixel size for the longest side is too big. I think 600 might be better. I think Sheila’s concern about endless scrolling is a good point, especially since people will often be ‘quoting’ the picture when they comment on it, causing lots of repetition. I’ve looked at a bunch of pictures at 600 pixels and I think they are probably big enough for us to discuss them. (The photos (full photos, not thumbnails) on my website are standardized to 600 pixels, if any one wants to look)

I am leaning toward thinking that people should only submit one photo per assignment. Again, we may have a scrolling problem with people submitting three. Also, I think one of the most important ways to advance as a photographer is learning how to make difficult editing choices. We often take multiple shots of the same subject with small differences and end up throwing a bunch of them in a slide show. Learning how to pick the best one from a group of similar ones is a very important skill, IMO. This is just my my current thinking. Maybe we can start with multiple, say 2-3, submissions, and work towards just one. Choosing gets easier as you learn more about how to evaluate a photo.

Thoughts?

I’ve been mulling over our options for the photo assignment activity. Some random thoughts:

Perhaps a 800 pixel size for the longest side is too big. I think 600 might be better. I think Sheila’s concern about endless scrolling is a good point, especially since people will often be ‘quoting’ the picture when they comment on it, causing lots of repetition. I’ve looked at a bunch of pictures at 600 pixels and I think they are probably big enough for us to discuss them. (The photos (full photos, not thumbnails) on my website are standardized to 600 pixels, if any one wants to look)

I'd vote for smaller for the reasons given, but 640 is a standard in many editing programs (including Picasa), so it gets my vote for simplicity.

I am leaning toward thinking that people should only submit one photo per assignment. Again, we may have a scrolling problem with people submitting three. Also, I think one of the most important ways to advance as a photographer is learning how to make difficult editing choices. We often take multiple shots of the same subject with small differences and end up throwing a bunch of them in a slide show. Learning how to pick the best one from a group of similar ones is a very important skill, IMO. This is just my my current thinking. Maybe we can start with multiple, say 2-3, submissions, and work towards just one. Choosing gets easier as you learn more about how to evaluate a photo.

Thoughts?

See..? It's just this kind of wisdom that forces me to recommend you as the arbiter whenever the subject comes up! :D

Dave

More Suggestions:

Read, and understand, the documents that came with your camera.

Learn how to turn the flash on or off.

Everyone has great ideas.

What are the men going to do during that assignment?

;)

Dave

Well, who wants to volunteer to write up a tutorial (or find a link to some good existing info) on how to post a photo.

I actually just tried picassa web and was able to creat an album there, but couldn't get the linking to work here. But I didn't try very hard, yet.

;)

Dave

Hopefully they don't throw the camera! :eek:

My dad -- before he got old & mellowed a tad -- was FAMOUS for those stunts...short fuse & incredibly little patience! Oh yeah, grinding his teeth was another M.O. of his!

-- Renée

Well, who wants to volunteer to write up a tutorial (or find a link to some good existing info) on how to post a photo.

I actually just tried picassa web and was able to creat an album there, but couldn't get the linking to work here. But I didn't try very hard, yet.

Here are two standard link sizes offered by picasa (other than thumbnail):

800px:

Alaska%202006%20-%20Day%208%20-%20Talkeetna%20123.JPG

400px:

Alaska%202006%20-%20Day%208%20-%20Talkeetna%20123.JPG

I'll do a step-by-step since there's a tricky bit with the string that Picasa generates.

I'll see if I can post it tonight as I am flying out in the AM. Otherwise, I'll post over the weekend sometime.

Dave

First of all, amazing shot - seriously, just gorgeous. Of course you will be writing up the golden hour primer.

Photobucket, webshots, image shack and the like all have very direct ways to link photos, as well as 600 or 640 standard sizes. Are you sure picassa is the way to go...?

Oh what the heck, whats another 160 pixels... As long as people can link their images, it doesn't really matter.

First of all, amazing shot - seriously, just gorgeous. Of course you will be writing up the golden hour primer.

Photobucket, webshots, image shack and the like all have very direct ways to link photos, as well as 600 or 640 standard sizes. Are you sure picassa is the way to go...?

Oh what the heck, whats another 160 pixels... As long as people can link their images, it doesn't really matter.

First of all, thank you!

Maybe not.

I'll play with a few of them over the weekend and see if there's an easy one.

Exporting sized photos from Picasa and uploading them to another site would give practical experience...

Dave

I already had a PhotoBucket account (with one photo from a trial) so I looked at it first. It allows easy direct linking, but requires the image to be sized exactly how you want it displayed.

BWH-3.jpg

Looks pretty good. I won't be switching to it, but for assignment links, it may work out as a standard (read as free).

Dave

This sounds very interesting. Was an avid photographer and made good money, BUT the fun left SO I put the cameras down. I recently decided to take picture for fun again and bought a new Nikon D80. Not very familiar with digital photography BUT so excited to learn. This sounds great.:o

;)

Dave

Tisk, Tisk, Tisk...

Very funny, Dave. I happen to believe that you have pretty well memorized yours. (DH hasn't read his, he just asks me!)

I have offered to take photos of folks who have no idea what their controls will do.

One lady even argued with me that her flash did not need to be turned on because it was on automatic. My answer was OK, but you will remember this when you see the photo of the glacier behind your (underexposed) faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great idea and I would love to participate, as time permits. I am currently using a Canon A70 which is 4 ½ years old, so I guess that makes it a genuine antique (like myself). I like it because it can take better pictures than I can and in addition to the standard modes it has aperture or shutter priority or manual settings.

I agree with Photodoodle that composition should be an early (and frequent) lesson, but first I have to learn how to upload pictures. I also agree with Pierces that it would be a good idea to use Picasa because in addition to his arguments, I’m already successfully using it (at his suggestion). I just figured out what Gmail is and have opened an account. Now I have to begin using Picasaweb.

Pierces that’s an amazing shot. The 800 has a better “feel” than the 400 but seems kind of large (can’t display the whole picture on screen at one time). Can we use 600 or 640?

When we get around to editing, if we ever go beyond Picasa, I would like to suggest ArcSoft PhotoStudio. You can get it free in “Digital Photo Editing for Seniors” by Addo Stuur which you probably can check out of your local library (free is good). Of course if someone wants to spend the $ go with PhotoShop.

Archived