Daughter just got pickpocketed - how is it

lakeluvr

in Nassau?
She and 3 friends arrived in Barcelona yesterday, and the first thing she did was use her check card to purchase Euros at the airport ATM. Then, on to the train to Madrid, where she had all her luggage in front of her, her zipped-up purse across her chest and her hand on top of the zipper. The next thing she knew, after people boarding, etc., everyone was staring at her unzipped purse! :mad:
She never felt a thing! Someone had unzipped the purse, reached in and got her wallet and was gone! Within an hour, they had used her card to the tune of $2000.
In her wallet was $40 USA cash, $110 in Euros, copy of passport , apartment key, an expired driver's license (?), and her check card.
Luckily the bank states that she won't be liable.
We are leaving on our Celebration cruise on Tuesday, Oct. 12, and now we are paranoid... We've been to Key West and feel comfortable there, but what about Nassau? :confused:

US Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Washington, DC 20520

[b]CRIME INFORMATION:

Crime is increasing, and visitors should exercise caution and good judgment when visiting The Bahamas. While most criminal incidents take place in a part of Nassau not usually frequented by tourists (the "over-the-hill" area south of downtown), crime and violence has moved into more upscale tourist and residential areas.

In the last year the U.S. Embassy has received several reports of sexual assaults, including against teen-age girls. Most assaults have been perpetrated against intoxicated young women, some of whom were reportedly drugged. To minimize the potential for sexual assault, the Embassy recommends that young women stay in groups, consume alcohol in moderation, and not accept rides or drinks from strangers.

Travelers should avoid walking alone after dark or in isolated areas, and avoid placing themselves in situations where they are alone with strangers. Be cautious on deserted areas of beaches at all hours. Hotel guests should always lock their doors and should never leave valuables unattended, especially on beaches. Visitors should store passport/identity documents, airline tickets, credit cards, and extra cash in hotel safes. Avoid wearing expensive jewelry, particularly Rolex watches, which criminals have specifically targeted. Use only clearly marked taxis and make a note of the license plate number for your records.

[/b]

[quote name='bicker']US Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Washington, DC 20520

[b]CRIME INFORMATION:

Crime is increasing, and visitors should exercise caution and good judgment when visiting The Bahamas. While most criminal incidents take place in a part of Nassau not usually frequented by tourists (the "over-the-hill" area south of downtown), crime and violence has moved into more upscale tourist and residential areas.

In the last year the U.S. Embassy has received several reports of sexual assaults, including against teen-age girls. Most assaults have been perpetrated against intoxicated young women, some of whom were reportedly drugged. To minimize the potential for sexual assault, the Embassy recommends that young women stay in groups, consume alcohol in moderation, and not accept rides or drinks from strangers.

Travelers should avoid walking alone after dark or in isolated areas, and avoid placing themselves in situations where they are alone with strangers. Be cautious on deserted areas of beaches at all hours. Hotel guests should always lock their doors and should never leave valuables unattended, especially on beaches. Visitors should store passport/identity documents, airline tickets, credit cards, and extra cash in hotel safes. Avoid wearing expensive jewelry, particularly Rolex watches, which criminals have specifically targeted. Use only clearly marked taxis and make a note of the license plate number for your records.

[/b][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, Bicker!

Hi I am from the UK and am a regular visitor to Barcelona - Barcelona has a bad reputation for pick pockets I have however never been that unlucky in that city but was in Paris. I took my wallet from my bag to pay for metro tickets and within 5 minutes of putting it back it was gone not one of the four of us noticed anything but obviously someone observed where I had put it it is the only time I have suffered a crime while travelling it is a ver sad fact of life that there are criminals everwhere - I am sorry this happened to your daughter.

now has money safety pinned inside undergarments, etc.... At 20 years old, this was a very good lesson for all three of these kids! :eek:
If they had any innocence about them before this trip, it's all gone now!:(
Lisa

check out security purses:

[url="http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com"]www.corporatetravelsafety.com[/url]
[url="http://www.travelsmith.com"]www.travelsmith.com[/url]

They have a clasp that goes through the zipper pulls on the purse, she could probably rig something with a safety pin or something. These purses also have steel cables in the strap so they can't be cut.

[quote name='lakeluvr']in Nassau?
She and 3 friends arrived in Barcelona yesterday, and the first thing she did was use her check card to purchase Euros at the airport ATM. Then, on to the train to Madrid, where she had all her luggage in front of her, her zipped-up purse across her chest and her hand on top of the zipper. The next thing she knew, after people boarding, etc., everyone was staring at her unzipped purse! :mad:
She never felt a thing! Someone had unzipped the purse, reached in and got her wallet and was gone! Within an hour, they had used her card to the tune of $2000.
In her wallet was $40 USA cash, $110 in Euros, copy of passport , apartment key, an expired driver's license (?), and her check card.
Luckily the bank states that she won't be liable.
We are leaving on our Celebration cruise on Tuesday, Oct. 12, and now we are paranoid... We've been to Key West and feel comfortable there, but what about Nassau? :confused:[/QUOTE]OK..Totally off topic.But by your post,I am assuming that Celeration has left Galveston already?

You can get pick pocketed anywhere you go. My SIL had her wallet lifted right out of her purse in Vegas a couple of years ago. We never did figure out how that happened...being as she had her purse with her at all times.
My FIL was pick pocketed in Poland.
Be careful where ever you go!!!
CaribbeanCrazy

• 4 weeks later...
Many years ago I learned that you put your wallet in your front pocket and keep you hand in that pocket as much as possible. After two navy cruises I never lost anything out of that pocket, oh, and two trips to Mexico across the border, no problems.

Jim

Our city is eagerly waiting on the Celebration. We enjoyed the Miracle last march, took a short cruise on her, and have one scheduled for the Celebration in January. Celebrity is also selling one ship out of Jacksonville.

Jim

Archived