Which Cruise In Med?

Mango1

Hi - you will love the Med!

Which one is best depends very much on what you are looking for. We have done 2, both 7 days, both on RCL Splendour of the Seas.

The first sailed out of Venice and stopped in many Greek ports and Turkey. We enjoyed the beaches in Greece and Ephesus in Turkey, and the ship, though an older one, was quite good. We arrived in Venice 5 days early and loved our stay there.

The second was our favorite. Also the Splendour but this time sailing from Barcelona. This time we stayed 5 days after the cruise for some R&R before we headed home. This cruise was rather port intensive, but perfectly timed, I think. We visited Marseille and Nice France, Florence, Rome and Naples Italy, and Malta. I think they have dropped Malta from their itinerary now. The time in each port allowed us to see Monte Carlo (we stayed aboard for Marseille), the cathedral, and the David in Florence, the Vatican including St. Peter's and the Sistine Chapel, along with the Colliseum in Rome, the Isle of Capri, and the quirky island of Malta. At each port save Rome we also had time for lunching and shopping. We took the train from port to Rome and Florence. We didn't book a single excursion and simply went armed with good maps of each city. We managed fine.

We had a sea day, too, so all the sunshine and shipboard activities were great, too.

If you take any Med cruise, especially one that visits Rome or Florence, I would highly recommend LATE seating dinner. That way you won't feel rushed.

This cruise had about 40% Americans, 30% Brits, the rest pretty even among Germans, French, Spanish, and a few eastern Europeans. They tried to do the dinner seating according to language spoken so we dined with Americans and Brits on both cruises. Our cruises were in July and September, but both times there were quite a few, probably 15 to 20, recent high school grads who chose these cruises as HS grad gifts. There were very few young children, but many high school and college kids who were cruising with their parents and/or grandparents. I'd say the average age was 40-45. There were a few singles, a few honeymooners, and a few older passengers.

No matter which line you choose, I think you will love the Med!

Courtenay

I think the med is a great place to go and usually i would recomend thomson but they tend to fill up quickly you might have to book now! You must get a cruise that goes to Malta, it is a beautiful place and the taxi's take you everywhere you need to go and are very friendly.

Archived