Water on Labadee

Now I know like many cruisers that private islands offered by cruise lines are a great place and this island was the best I've ever had the pleasure to visit. The sand is so clean, and the water is just perfect. Tender service is a dream back to the ship and vice versa. The straw market I did not visit sorry. The lunch offered was comparable to any BBQ just not that great BBQ you hope for. The only real issue I found on this island is that if you wanted a glass of water you had to buy a bottle. Now I understand they need to make money and thats fine, but when your making ice tea and red beverages with gallon bottles of water and you can't get a glass unless it's been mixed with some kind of additive seemed wrong to me. And of course you don't want to drink the tap water on the island as they told you along with the signs all over and the color. I'm not saying this ruined my experance but, come on folks your using bottled water to make ice tea and red fruit drink can't you just fill a few glasses with straight water. If anything they would be saving money buy not using as much mix. Other than that It was a great cruise and I booked for next year already in LA.

We all know the cruiselines try to make as much $$$ as possible - they are a business - it's their job.

However, I can see how this could be a necessity on a place like Labadee. My first thought would be that if people saw passengers drinking water from a glass - they might believe that the signs warning about water were just overkill and the water wasn't that bad. Everyone knows the lemonade and fruit punch is ok to drink - but not everyone might pay as much heed to the warnings about the water if they see anything besides bottled water. I could see - particularly youngsters - not heeding the warnings.

Now I know like many cruisers that private islands offered by cruise lines are a great place and this island was the best I've ever had the pleasure to visit. The sand is so clean, and the water is just perfect. Tender service is a dream back to the ship and vice versa. The straw market I did not visit sorry. The lunch offered was comparable to any BBQ just not that great BBQ you hope for. The only real issue I found on this island is that if you wanted a glass of water you had to buy a bottle. Now I understand they need to make money and thats fine, but when your making ice tea and red beverages with gallon bottles of water and you can't get a glass unless it's been mixed with some kind of additive seemed wrong to me. And of course you don't want to drink the tap water on the island as they told you along with the signs all over and the color. I'm not saying this ruined my experance but, come on folks your using bottled water to make ice tea and red fruit drink can't you just fill a few glasses with straight water. If anything they would be saving money buy not using as much mix. Other than that It was a great cruise and I booked for next year already in LA.

I completely agree with you, but they had trays out at the BBQ area of ice tea and fruit beverage why not a tray of water. And I understand that young children might get confused about what to and not to drink, but any responsible parent should be able to ensure that doesn't happen. My entire point was they had bottled water for other drinks for free why couldn't they give some water for free also. Even when asked while they were pouring water into a bucket to mix ice tea for a glass they said go to the bar they will give it to you. Once at the bar it was a bottle for a charge. Please don't take this the wrong way at all. I loved my cruise and my visit to the island and i would go back tomorrow, but a glass of water isn't too much to ask for.

I was in Labadee last summer and had no issue getting a glass of plain water to drink. They weren't "pushing" water as much as the mixed juices and iced teas, but after I asked, there was no problem getting me the water. And there was no charge.

I would think that they are trying to protect your health and safety first and foremost. I was also wondering if the other drinks are made with water from the ship and not the island. Knowning that Haiti is a very economically depressed island and getting worse by the day, maybe they don't use the island water any longer.

Just a thought!

Archived