Delta - 2nd checked luggage

Dave - I just read the restrictions and I am not reading them the same way as you. I am looking at the meaning of "excess baggage" as bags that DON'T meet the SIZE requirements, only. ;)

For instance, our church takes several extra large suitcases and boxes filled with medical supplies, on a mission trip to Mexico every year. This year, they had to pay $1000 in extra fees to get those supplies to the mission destination. Some of the supplies did not make the original flight with the church members. The supplies came in a couple of days later and really caused a change in plans (and care) for the group.

Good luck when you call Delta, trying to get an answer. Just like the cruiselines, you can call three different people and get three different answers. :rolleyes:

Charging for weighty passengers:

Just because a person weighs over 150, does not mean that they are always overweight. A persons height is something that plays a factor in their weight and a trait that can't be helped. How about taking out a row or two of seating to lessen the weight, and give us tall people some leg room for once.

Spoke with my TA today when booking my next cruise and was told that the 2nd checked bag which has a charge of $ 25. is considered on a "standby" basis. On the smaller Connection flights this could be a problem and the 2nd piece of luggage could be sent on the 2nd flight. This, of course, could be a problem when heading down to the cruise not getting all of your luggage at the same time and having to wait for the next flight to come in.

Checked Delta's website and confirmed this information. Anyone had any experience with this?

Dave

We flew Delta 3 weeks ago to San Juan for our cruise. The policy of the 25.00 charge for a second bag changed in the middle of our vacation. I thought we would be claused in since we purchased our tickets in November but noooo we had to pay for the second bag on the way back but it was only 25.00 so we were ok with it. We did the luggage express from the ship and were never charged the 25.00 for the extra bag so if your cruise offers that program do it. We checked 3 bags and they made the connection in Atlanta and were in San Antonio when we arrived.

We flew Delta 3 weeks ago to San Juan for our cruise. The policy of the 25.00 charge for a second bag changed in the middle of our vacation. I thought we would be claused in since we purchased our tickets in November but noooo we had to pay for the second bag on the way back but it was only 25.00 so we were ok with it. We did the luggage express from the ship and were never charged the 25.00 for the extra bag so if your cruise offers that program do it. We checked 3 bags and they made the connection in Atlanta and were in San Antonio when we arrived.

Thanks for the info. On the $25 on the 2nd bag, same thing happened to me. Sailed Liberty while you were on the San Juan cruise during the change over period. Did the vallet debarkation like you did and was only out the cruise charge of $20/person and didn't get charged the Delta fee of $25. We actually came out ahead didn't we(smile). Glad to hear the bags made it back fine, mine did also. Will just call Delta at the Knoxville airport where I'm flying out when it gets close just to be sure. I'm sure it'll be fine, guess with the changes the airlines are making want to be sure.

Dave

Archived