International Transaction Fee

LynnSD

Just want to remind everyone to call the Credit Card issuer about their current Foreign Transaction Fee schedule.

I have an AMEX that will charge 3% per their Customer Service people. When this discussion came up several years ago, someone reported that AMEX never charges a fee. SOOOOO - not all AMEX cards are equal.

I'm certain that the same holds true with other Credit Card companies. (I haven't been charged a Foreign Transaction Fee on my Chase Credit Card, eventhough their Customer Service People, the Conde Nast article and quite a few posters said I would be. I used the card for a Final Payment because it had the highest credit limit.)

...(we are so old fashioned we don't even have a debit card)....

Betsy is still getting used to the idea of a debit card, also. It's all I use for everyday transactions. If I don't have the money in the bank, I don't spend it. Fortunately, we got used to the idea of having a fairly high checking balance years ago, when I couldn't be bothered to record the checks I wrote, and the only defense was to have enough in the bank to cover my impulses. ;)

The only thing I miss out on is the rewards benefit -- if I used a credit card instead of the debit card, I could probably get some nice rewards. But, I'm to the point that I carry very little cash -- and when I do need cash, I just make a small purchase at the supermarket or home supply store, pay with the debit card, and get cash back whenever I need it -- up to $100 -- with no fees -- no matter where I am. I can remember the days when we had a second home in the mountains, and I had to maintain a checking account up there just so I could occasionally get some cash when I needed it. Today, with national banks an debit cards, things are a lot easier.

Archived