clothing for kayaking

kellig

Do any of the Kayak companies provide Waterproof jackets/pants/gloves/shoes?

I have a pair of rain pants and a softshell jacket that I could wear, but I really don't have any waterproof gloves, just fleece gloves or ski mittons that aren't waterproof either.

I could either wear my hiking shoes that are supposedly water resistant, or bring a pair of water-slippers that don't mind getting wet, but wouldn't be all that warm. Any thoughts?

What have you worn before?

We went kayaking with Southeast Kayaks in Ketchikan. I do not recall being provided with anything other than a life vest. I wore my low-top mountain shoes and yoga pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt and fleece vest. I took the fleece vest off though because it was so beautiful outside and frankly, rather bulky with the life vest on top.

We didn't get wet all..the only threat of getting wet was trying to get in and out of the kayak at the dock! ;) My hands were not blistered afterwards so I didn't mind not wearing gloves.

Don't forget the sunscreen for your face! :)

I also went kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan, but when I went, it was a fairly rainy day. They provided all of us with complete rain gear - pants and hooded jacket - as well as life vests. Even in the rain, it was a great experience! I agree that the rain was the only reason we needed the foul weather gear, so on a nice day, with no threat of rain, you wouldn't need it.

You might want to pose this question to the folks at the kayak tour company (or companies) you are actually planning to book with.

Southeast Sea Kayaks told us just to wear regular clothes. The only request they had was that we wear sneakers or the like rather than heavy hiking boots, which are sometimes too large to fit comfortably in the footwells of the kayaks.

I also went kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan, but when I went, it was a fairly rainy day. They provided all of us with complete rain gear - pants and hooded jacket - as well as life vests. Even in the rain, it was a great experience! I agree that the rain was the only reason we needed the foul weather gear, so on a nice day, with no threat of rain, you wouldn't need it.

You might want to pose this question to the folks at the kayak tour company (or companies) you are actually planning to book with.

Southeast Sea Kayaks told us just to wear regular clothes. The only request they had was that we wear sneakers or the like rather than heavy hiking boots, which are sometimes too large to fit comfortably in the footwells of the kayaks.

We are kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks next week in Ketchikan and you are exactly correct. They will provide rain gear if necessary.

We also kayaked the Tatoosh Islands twice with another outfitter and they also provided us with rain gear.

We went with SE Kayaks last week and they provided a rain jacket, rain bonnet (fits over you like an overall skirt, and covers the hole in the kayak) and a life jacket. You didn't have to wear the jacket--my husband took his off because it was too hot, and so did our guide. But I think the skirt/bonnet/whatever it's called (obviously, a kayak expert here) is something that is always on, to keep water out of the kayak. They discouraged bringing your own gortex jacket because of the salt water, and I expect that is a good idea. It was a beautiful sunny day and we saw 20 bald eagles on the shore. It was a great excursion. 2.5 hours was a perfect amount of time.

We are doing the Pennock Paddling tour with them in July. I emailed them with the same questions regarding clothes. They said just wear sneakers and the usual layers as recommended by everyone, and they will handle any necessary raingear....Anita

We are doing the Pennock Paddling tour with them in July. I emailed them with the same questions regarding clothes. They said just wear sneakers and the usual layers as recommended by everyone, and they will handle any necessary raingear....Anita

This is from their web-site.

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips.html

Rain gear, jackets and pants, are provided for your comfort. Our guides carry binoculars to share with the group and also hydrophones so we can listen to marine life beneath the water. We encourage you to dress in warm comfortable layers. Sneakers are ideal for foot wear rather than large hiking boots – we step into the kayaks from our boat so you will not get your feet wet

Thanks all, I decided just to wear my lowtop hikers. I did bring along some gortex ski gloves, may be overkill, but who knows. Hope the weather is nice that day, only supposed to be 60 there this week.

Archived