Partial transit, Gatun Lake & Colon - private tours??

ncmomof2

We'll be on HAL's Zuiderdam making a partial transit of the canal from the Caribbean and returning to Colon. When possible, I like to schedule private tours as they tend to be more personal -- and often cost less too!! Right now, we are most interested in seeing an Emberra Indian village, although the waterfall hike offered as part of one of My Friend Mario's packages (with the Emberra! makes me wish we were docked at Colon all day!) sounds interesting too.

So here are my questions:

My understanding is that there is no way for private tour operators to meet pax in Gatun Lake, is this correct?

If private tours can and do start at Gatun Lake, can anyone recommend an operator that can pick us up there and drop us off in Colon later in the day?

Thanks for any and all help!

I don't have any direct experience with HAL, but you are only allowed ashore in Gatun Lake when you are booked on a ship's tour. Even if you were able to use private tour operators, because of the distances involved from the port of Colon, you really are better off taking a ship sponsored tour in this case.

Archived