Naples: private tour - problems making it back to ship?

Has anyone taken a private tour or know someone who has that due to traffic or problems didn't make it back to the ship in time?

We have booked a very reputable driver for our tour of Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor give him rave reviews. Someone said that since we are going to be in port on a Saturday June 28, 2008 that it's a busy time of year and we are silly to do a private tour because of traffic....

Now I'm getting nervous...it's the first stop on our 12 day cruise and I don't want to get left behind right from the beginning.....

Anybody experience timing problems with a private driver?

Has anyone taken a private tour or know someone who has that due to traffic or problems didn't make it back to the ship in time?

We have booked a very reputable driver for our tour of Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor give him rave reviews. Someone said that since we are going to be in port on a Saturday June 28, 2008 that it's a busy time of year and we are silly to do a private tour because of traffic....

Now I'm getting nervous...it's the first stop on our 12 day cruise and I don't want to get left behind right from the beginning.....

Anybody experience timing problems with a private driver?

I think you will find tour drivers fully appreciate need to get you back on time to maintain their reputation. They probably over compensate to allow for any traffic problems.:)

Most private tour operators carry cell phones. They keep in contact with those that know what is going on concerning the roads and traffic conditions etc. and IF there were to be a problem.....they will inform you and advise you if a "tweak" in your schedule needs to be made. They know the main routes and alternate ones like the back of their hands.

This is why it is so important to use a reputable company (I have and would never use one of the many "locals" waiting at the dock for "rides" just because of this reason) as they know about Cruisecritic, Tripadvisor as well as the other forums and a bad experience would definately put a dent in their business.

That being said..... I always take a copy of our passport, the # for the port contact for the cruiseline (posted in your daily flyer on the ship) and a credit card that can and will get me to the next port if needed.

If you are worried, I could suggest you do Pompeii in the afternoon so you are closer to the ship. Herculaneum is also closer and I think better due to how you can view the ruins from above.

I also always assume if there is a traffic jam, the ship buses are stuck in line also. You can read when the ship tours plan to return and plan accordingly and use that as a guide for when to return.

Have a great trip.

If you are worried, I could suggest you do Pompeii in the afternoon so you are closer to the ship. Herculaneum is also closer and I think better due to how you can view the ruins from above.

I also always assume if there is a traffic jam, the ship buses are stuck in line also. You can read when the ship tours plan to return and plan accordingly and use that as a guide for when to return.

Have a great trip.

Please list the ports you are going to be in and you will get replies as to specific guides folks have used.

Archived