Princess "Tie the Knot" & "The Wedding Experience" - are they the same?

This mom/mom-in-law-to-be has questions as plans begin for an embarkation "harborside" wedding on the Crown Princess out of Fort Lauderdale for my son and his betrothed next April 2009.

Are "Tie the Knot" and "The Wedding Experience" the same company?

I called Princess and they transferred me to the "Tie the Knot" people/department. Then, when I did some research, I see that "The Wedding Experience" has its own website - confusing!

If they are different, do those of you with experience have a preference?

They want a harborside ceremony with some guests cruising and some guests will just be attending the ceremony - not more than 20 people.

They only want a ceremony onboard the ship, so a beach ceremony or one at sea is not an option.

I understand that the Captain cannot marry couples while docked - only at sea!

HELP - what are we getting ourselves into? :rolleyes:

Yes, "Tie the Knot" and "The Wedding Experience" are the same company.

Wedding Experience, The

2600 SW 3rd Ave., Suite 200

Miami, FL 33129

Phone: (305) 421-1260

Other DBAs: Wedding Experience, The

Imagine Wedding & Events Internaitonal

Tie the Knot Weddings <-----

Royal Romance Weddings

Wedding Aisles

The Wedding Experience

Tie the Knot has a C- rating at the better business bureau of South Florida.

They dont give details of the complaints, but here is a summary:

No. of Cmpl Type of Response

0 Making a full refund, as the consumer requested

3 Making a partial refund

18 Agreeing to perform according to their contract

1 Refusing to make an adjustment

0 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement

1 Unanswered

1 Unassigned

24Total

WOW!

Okay, I looked up TWE's BBB rating to see if it was the same as Tie the Knot. Last time I checked, TWE's BBB rating was a B-. this was only a month, or two, ago...

NOW the BBB rates TWE as a C-.....

Doesn't surprise me!

Here is the link for the BBB of south Florida, in case anyone wants to poke around....

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/Home.aspx

WOW!

Okay, I looked up TWE's BBB rating to see if it was the same as Tie the Knot. Last time I checked, TWE's BBB rating was a B-. this was only a month, or two, ago...

NOW the BBB rates TWE as a C-.....

Doesn't surprise me!

Here is the link for the BBB of south Florida, in case anyone wants to poke around....

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/Home.aspx

Wow C- seems quite high to me!!!

We did an at sea wedding on Princess and used TWE and had no issues with them. While many different cruise lines use TWE (under many different names), based on feedback on this board those on Princess don't seem to have nearly as many issues as some of the other cruise lines.

If I had it to do all over again I would use TWE.

BTW, as far as the captain not being able to marry them, TWE arranges for an officiant for the ceremony and also for the license (they won't do the license for FL residents because of stupid laws that apply specifically to residents of FL).

We did an at sea wedding on Princess and used TWE and had no issues with them. While many different cruise lines use TWE (under many different names), based on feedback on this board those on Princess don't seem to have nearly as many issues as some of the other cruise lines.

BTW, as far as the captain not being able to marry them, TWE arranges for an officiant for the ceremony and also for the license (they won't do the license for FL residents because of stupid laws that apply specifically to residents of FL).

Me too. I had some problems with the wedding license but that was on Princesses' part and TWE took care of it for me.

Thanks for all the insight into TWE. I checked out the BBB and they certainly don't have a very good reputation based on the rating.

There are 11 categories from A+ to F and with their C- rating, they are #9 on the list.

Well, guess there aren't too many other options. I'll have to see how things play out.

Again - thanks to all you CC experts! :)

Thanks for all the insight into TWE. I checked out the BBB and they certainly don't have a very good reputation based on the rating.

There are 11 categories from A+ to F and with their C- rating, they are #9 on the list.

Well, guess there aren't too many other options. I'll have to see how things play out.

Again - thanks to all you CC experts! :)

Is it an option to get married prior to embarkation on land? That would allow them to use their own wedding coordinator, and then they and their guests who are sailing can board the ship and cruise away:) I realize this would be a lot different than getting married aboard the ship, but it is an option. I'd rather get married in the midst of a gang fight while standing in a dumpster and dodging bullets than use TWE to coordinate my wedding. But, that's just me:D

FLHokie, can you elaborate on what the situation is for the license for Florida residents? :eek: We're Florida residents and they haven't mentioned anything different for us.

FLHokie, can you elaborate on what the situation is for the license for Florida residents? :eek: We're Florida residents and they haven't mentioned anything different for us.

uh-oh.....:eek:

http://marriagelaws.info/regional/u_s__states/florida/index.shtml

When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write that name on the application.

ID Requirement: Picture ID such as a driver's license and your Social Security card or a valid passport number or I-94 card.

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Florida. The waiting period does not apply to non-Florida residents.

Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying.

Waiting Period: No waiting period for Florida residents who have both completed a state sanctioned marriage preparation course within the last 12 months. There is a three-day waiting period for Florida residents who have not taken the course.

If Divorced: If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be supplied. If the divorce or spouse's death occurred within the past 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is required.

Fees: $93.50 - cash only. Couples who have completed a state-sanctioned marriage preparation course within the past 12 months are entitled to a discount of $32.50. The provider of the class must be listed with the Clerks office.

The Florida Premarital Preparation, is a course provided by a qualified instructor registered with the Clerk of the Circuit Court consisting of not less than 4 hours. The course may include instruction regarding conflict management, communication skills, financial responsibilities, children and parenting responsibilities on actual case data compiled from information reported by married couples who seek counseling. The course may be provided by personal instruction, videotape instruction, instructions via other electronic medium or a combination of these methods. A roster is available in any Clerk's Office issuing marriage licenses.

Other Tests: No blood test requirement.

Proxy Marriages: Not allowed in Florida.

Valid: License is valid for 60 days.

The license can only be used within the State of Florida.

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

maybe the above will give you an idea -- that's all i could find that was somewhat informative -- the florida state website went to a dead page...:rolleyes:

Pattycakes pretty much covered the laws for FL Residents...Unless you complete a state sanctioned marriage prep/pre-marital counseling you have a three day waiting period for your marriage license to be valid and you pay more money (than if you complete the marriage prep program). This only applies to FL residents. I'm sure this (stupid) law is why TWE does not (or at least did not when we got married) handle the license for FL Residents.

hmmm...so why would we get a Florida marriage license anyway if we were At Sea off the coast of Alaska. I filled out all the paperwork for a Bermudean (sp?) license since it will take place at sea. I don't see how where we reside matters...should be where we are married and who does the marrying. I certainly have a few calls to make ya'll!!!

We did provide all the paperwork about marital status, etc.

hmmm...so why would we get a Florida marriage license anyway if we were At Sea off the coast of Alaska. I filled out all the paperwork for a Bermudean (sp?) license since it will take place at sea. I don't see how where we reside matters...should be where we are married and who does the marrying. I certainly have a few calls to make ya'll!!!

We did provide all the paperwork about marital status, etc.

If you're getting married at sea the only license you need is the Bermuda license which TWE handles.

I was referring to the original post which is looking for information on a harborside/embarkation wedding in Port Everglades which would require a FL license.

We got our Bermudian Marriage Certificate about 3 weeks after the wedding from TWE. While they kind of did a double take when looking at the license at Social Security and FL DMV, I've had no problems using it for all of my name change "stuff."

WHEW! You had me scared. OK, then we're good to go! Onward with the packing. I have to move my whole house, with 2 kids in with my fiance' next weekend, then get un-packed and re-packed for the cruise...nothing like pushing myself!!

Archived