Cruise of a lifetime

My DH retires next Fall after 42 years of active duty Army, civilian Army and civilian Department of Defense. We're looking at some long or B2B itinieraries and new lines--for us. As far as the cruise lines/ships, how wheeler friendly and accessible are Oceania (Regatta), Seabourn (Oddyssy) and Regent (any)? Regatta has the best deal so far with ports, prices and air but the 3 HP cabins are in the basement. Seabourn's newest has HP cabins all over and with verandahs (the DH loves his balconies, ok, so do I) but would be pricey minus all the things most lines nickel and dime us for. I'm still looking at Regent and we know about Azamara. I so wish the Oceania itienararty was on Azamara.

Any help appreciated.

Sorry, I can't give advice on any of these lines, but I wanted to thank your dh for his service. Congratulations on his retirement. Hope it is long, healthy and happ.

Since the only accessible cabins on all three Oceania ships are inside (or as you said, in the basement) and your husband enjoys the balcony so much I would go with a ship where you can get an accessible balcony cabin so that he can really enjoy the fruits of his retirement.:)

Sorry, I can't give advice on any of these lines, but I wanted to thank your dh for his service. Congratulations on his retirement. Hope it is long, healthy and happ.

I'll pass on your appreciation. He's had a long, storied and mostly classified career. But he crashed on a helicopter into the Mekong. Suffered from malaria in a country we weren't in according to Nixon. Was exposed to TB and had to salute Halie Sallasie and his dog in Ethopia. Was on that last bus of military civilians out of Panama. Can say that many of our guys and gals are safer in Iraq and Afghanistan from what some of their comrades in arms have learned from him the last decade or so.

Now it's time to cruise; read great books with a single malt in hand; walk the 75 pound pup and plan some road trips with friends.

Since the only accessible cabins on all three Oceania ships are inside (or as you said, in the basement) and your husband enjoys the balcony so much I would go with a ship where you can get an accessible balcony cabin so that he can really enjoy the fruits of his retirement.:)

He agrees with you! We looked at deck 4 of the Oceania Regatta versus deck 4 of the Azamara Journey and what a difference. Oceania has 4 cabins on the inside of which 3 are HP and one is not. Azamara has 2 HPs and 2 regulars in the same space. Our TA spoke with Oceania and they want a doctor's letter (no problem I've done it before) with the deposit then THEY'LL decide if I can travel with them. Our TA got a bad feel and so did we. She went back to ask the size of the cabins, doorways and what about the 2 tender ports. First they said 160sf then 174sf. The stand up shower has a 56 inch handheld shower head and the bathroom is 50sf. She's getting clarification on the 'stand up shower' and that both doorways are 'standard wheelchair width'. I asked her if she could request digital photos be emailed to us.

After a lot of talking we decided yesterday to go with Azamara and their great balcony cabin. They have 2 on deck 6 and both are the size of the penthouses on deck 8. Oceania just had such a great itinierary. But even if the cabin without the bath is 174sf that will be so tight with my manual chair. If anyone does travel Oceania and has a chance to check out those 3 HP cabins I'd love some details. I have the feeling they are for people who can walk some and use a folding wheelchair or scooter.

You're so right that he deserves his balcony. Other than a few special places like Malta, Tunis and Sicily he'd rather stay on the ship. Why he joined the Army instead of taking that slot at Annapolis I'll never know.

Now I have to figure out how to live without my dog for 27 days. She and I barely handle 14 day cruises.

Archived