Review of Private tours in Athens, Turkey & Naples

We just returned from the Galaxy's 5/19th cruise. In Istanbul and Ephesus we used Ekol Travel. Our guide in Istanbul was very nice and personable but he gave us too much free time at the sites, we felt a lot of what we did with him in Istanbul we could have done using the ship's shuttle and a good guide book. Other passengers did not encounter this with their Ekol guides. Our guide in Ephesus however, was exceptional. He was with us at all times, very informative and a delightful young man. He took us to a typical turkish restaurant where we had a fabulous meal. He was a big part of Ephesus being one of our most favorite places. We are sorry we didn't use Ekol travel in Rhodes instead of the ship's tour. In Athens, we used Jordan the taxi driver. He is a very nice person. He gave us a lot of information before and when we arrived at the different sites, inspite of the fact that he is not a guide. We covered a lot during our day with him. We really enjoyed watching the changing of the guard and he also took us to a typical greek taverna away from the Plaka where the meal was exceptional and not too expensive. In Naples we used Marcello Maresca along with a family of three from Canada whom we met here in CC. We knew ahead of time that he talked a lot and does not like shopping and we really enjoyed our day with him. Yes, he talks a lot but we learned a lot from what he had to say. Since we didn't stroll or go shopping on any of the towns, we drove further up the Amalfi Coast delighting on the magnificent views. He took us to a 12th century village where we had an amazing lunch with an amazing view and as an added bonus on the way to the ship we visited a very interesting archeological site (free of charge). If you want to be dropped off and walk around the towns to browse and shop, then he is not the one for you. However, if you want to enjoy the views of the Amalfi Coast and visit out of the ordinary sites, then you will love him as we all did. We highly recommend Ekol Travel, Jordan and Marcello. Hope this helps:)

chuly,

Thank you for the review. We are using Jordan in Athens on our upcoming cruise and really looking forward to that tour. Did you vary on the itinerary at all with him or did you just show up in Athens and he took you around as what is outlined on his website?

Chuly,

Thank you for your review...it was helpful.:)

We've booked Jordan in Athens (for a Peloponnese tour) and looking forward to it!

I'm still up in the air re Istanbul ... we enjoy touring on our own whenever possible, but I don't want to miss important sights and details in Istanbul, so am leaning towards a guide. We're there from 11 a.m. one day until 7 p.m. the next .... any thoughts on taking a good guide book and doing it on our own?

Thanks,

chuly,

Thank you for the review. We are using Jordan in Athens on our upcoming cruise and really looking forward to that tour. Did you vary on the itinerary at all with him or did you just show up in Athens and he took you around as what is outlined on his website?

Hi, we did all of what was outlined on his website tour plus other things. He was very accomodating and will change things around for you. We decided not to stay long in the Plaka and instead had that wonderful lunch elsewhere.

Chuly,

Thank you for your review...it was helpful.:)

We've booked Jordan in Athens (for a Peloponnese tour) and looking forward to it!

I'm still up in the air re Istanbul ... we enjoy touring on our own whenever possible, but I don't want to miss important sights and details in Istanbul, so am leaning towards a guide. We're there from 11 a.m. one day until 7 p.m. the next .... any thoughts on taking a good guide book and doing it on our own?

Thanks,

Hi,

As I outlined before, in Istanbul we were picked up by a driver at the port (he was a very nice young man who explained some of the sites as we drove in "terrible" traffic to meet our guide). Our guide was waiting for us in front of the Blue Mosque and walked us over to the Haigia Sofia where he gave us a brief explanation and left us for 30 minutes on our own. We then walked to the Blue Mosque and basically did the same thing. Even though the Topacki Palace was also within walking distance, he decided to leave that for the next day. We then walked to a ceramic shop, were picked up by the driver who left us near the Grand Bazaar. The guide took us to a carpet/jewelry store and then asked us how long we wanted to stay at the Grand Bazaar. We told him not long and gave us 45 minutes again on our own. We didn't stay long, found him outside and then we met the driver who drove us back to the ship. It took a long time because the traffic once again was terrible. The next morning the driver and guide picked us up, took us to the Underground Cisterns where he stayed with us and then took us to the Topacki Palace where he paid for our entrance fee and left us alone for over an hour. Our tour description said that we were supposed to go to the Hipodrome and he said that it was nothing and he just drove us past it. That is why we felt we probably could have done Istanbul on our own with the ship's shuttle. With a good guide book and they also have audio equipment for rental at the sites. Others who used Ekol told us their guides basically stayed with them at all times except at the Topacki Palace. Our guide was very nice and personable but we felt he gave us too much free time. You will enjoy Jordan, he is a very nice and decent person and gives you a lot of information although he is not a licensed guide. Hope this helps

Chuly:

Did Marcello take you to his family farm? Did you get to stop in any of the towns? I don't want to spend the day in a car. I don't like to shop, but was hoping he would point out some local arts and crafts or specialties that we can buy to bring home then take us to a place to buy them if we want. Also, if we don't stop and wander around, how do I take the 1000's of photos I plan to take?!

Thanks Chuly,

I decided to book a guide in Istanbul ... Kagan, who gets very good reviews here on CC. We're there for 2 days and will do the first day with him. With it being our first visit to Istanbul and such limited time, I wanted as much info on the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace as possible...and to do them efficiently. We'll also go to the Spice Market with Kagan.

Sorry, disregard, I am using a different driver. I first considered Marcello then decided to go with Mariano Fiorentino.

Chuly:

Did Marcello take you to his family farm? Did you get to stop in any of the towns? I don't want to spend the day in a car. I don't like to shop, but was hoping he would point out some local arts and crafts or specialties that we can buy to bring home then take us to a place to buy them if we want. Also, if we don't stop and wander around, how do I take the 1000's of photos I plan to take?!

Chuly:

No, he did not take us to his family farm (we wish he had) I'm sure that if you let him know in advance that you would like to visit some arts and crafts stores and wander around a bit in the towns he would accomodate you. Except for the 12th century village, lunch, and the archeological site, were we spent some time, we had many photo stops but were mainly driving along the Amalfi Coast. Email him and plan an itinerary that works for you, I'm sure he will be most accomodating.

Thanks Chuly,

I decided to book a guide in Istanbul ... Kagan, who gets very good reviews here on CC. We're there for 2 days and will do the first day with him. With it being our first visit to Istanbul and such limited time, I wanted as much info on the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace as possible...and to do them efficiently. We'll also go to the Spice Market with Kagan.

That sounds like a great plan. Hope you have a wonderful time in Istanbul!!!

Hi, we did all of what was outlined on his website tour plus other things. He was very accomodating and will change things around for you. We decided not to stay long in the Plaka and instead had that wonderful lunch elsewhere.

Chuly,

Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to know.

We just returned from a HAL Rotterdam cruise that docked at 3PM. We had booked an evening tour and an all day tour the next day with Gulgun Asutay (guidegulgun@hotmail.com). She is great!

Thanks Chuly,

You will love Kagan! We had him May 20th and 21st and I think it made all the difference in the world in appreciating Istanbul. He will give you some history and culture as you are seeing the sights and, except for the Bazaars, will accompany you into the sites to fully explain what you are seeing. You can see so much more this way instead of being on your own and trying to read a guide book as you go.

Nancy

I think that the big negative on Ekol is that you can't control which guide you get. Some are definitely better than others. We were disappointed with our Ekol guide in Ephesus because, due to physical limitations, she was unable to accompany us into the Terrace Houses, the Amphitheater and the House of the Virgin Mary. Instead she tried to give us all the information about what we would be seeing before we went into these sites. We did this tour several days after the Istanbul tour with Kagan, so she suffered in comparison.

Also, on Ekol, my understanding is that the guides get their payment from hefty commissions on purchases you make at stores they take you to. That's why they're always anxious to get you into a rug store or a pottery store. Kagan and other private guides, on the other hand, have their own business and are not dependent on commissions.

I fully agree with you. When booking a guide for Turkey I scoured these boards thoroughly and decided against Ekol for the two main reasons you have given above.

Kagan comes highly recommended, but if he is not available try Levent Solmaz. His prices are very reasonable too & again, I've not come across anything negative about him, just positive comments.

http://leventsolmaz.com/

Edit: Whoops, I think this has ended up on the wrong thread...the review, not the one where someone was looking for a guide. Sorry folks!

I would like to recommend :D www.chauffeurgreece.com and liasion Dimitris Tzanakis for a well-run and responsive guide group. The tour (5/17) went perfectly with all goals reached. All my e-mails were promptly answered, the guide Natasha was terrific; driver Leonidis also very helpful. Comfy 12-person minibus was great; everything we asked was accomplished. No language problems; it went 100% perfect. I recommend to keep close contact via e-mail (I e-mailed them before leaving home and also from ship 2 days before to re-confirm) and be sure you have your tour guide/drivers cell phone # for last minute glitches. It was easy to find us at Athens port... it is away from streets (but the previous port experience in Istanbul was bedlam due to Queen Eliz showing up, :confused: )...so get a phone number.

You will love Kagan! We had him May 20th and 21st and I think it made all the difference in the world in appreciating Istanbul.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the great feedback! I was glad that Kagan is available on one of the days we are there (he was already booked for the other) and I really like the idea of a walking tour. We had considered Ekol but I wasn't aware of the 'shopping stops' which I have no interest in.

Hi, as you all know from our review we felt our Ekol guide in Istanbul was not the best. However, in all fairness he asked us if we wanted to go to a carpet store or a ceramic store and he did not push us to go and said it was ok if we didn't want to go. Our guide in Ephesus who was great, also asked us if we wanted to go to a leather shop or ceramic shop and we only chose to go to do a "toilet" stop. Neither one of them pressured us into going shopping or into buying anything.

Hi chuly,

I didn't mean to imply that we were pressured into shopping by our Ekol guide, but the shopping suggestions were always there. The guides will suggest a visit to a carpet making demonstration which we've heard (from previous postings on CC) often turn into high-pressure sales pitches that make the customers feel very uncomfortable. We said no to all of her offers to take us into shops and she accepted that gracefully. At the end of our tour the guide wanted to drop us off a restaurant she thought we'd like. When she said her own store was right next to the restaurant, we suddenly decided to go back to the ship to eat. The link between guides and retail stores just makes one wary.

Hi chuly,

I didn't mean to imply that we were pressured into shopping by our Ekol guide, but the shopping suggestions were always there. The guides will suggest a visit to a carpet making demonstration which we've heard (from previous postings on CC) often turn into high-pressure sales pitches that make the customers feel very uncomfortable. We said no to all of her offers to take us into shops and she accepted that gracefully. At the end of our tour the guide wanted to drop us off a restaurant she thought we'd like. When she said her own store was right next to the restaurant, we suddenly decided to go back to the ship to eat. The link between guides and retail stores just makes one wary.

Hi, I undersand your point of view perfectly. The only thing I guess with our Istanbul guide was that just as he didn't seem too interested in staying with us at the sites he didn't seem interested either in taking us shopping anywhere (except the Grand Bazaar where he left us for 1 hour) and some other bazaar where he took us on Sunday and dropped us off for another hour. Never recommended any particular store unless we asked him. The shopping we did was done per our request. That's why since we have not given him such a good review, I felt I should be fair and say that at least him in particular did not seem (or was not interested) in getting commissions from any particular store. He seemed to be more concerned about taking us places, leaving us there and meeting us some time later. The Ephesus guide, whom we thought was great did take us to a ceramic. leather and jewelry shop for toilet stops and when I asked him about a pashmina store he recommended a friend's store which was extremely expensive and we just walked out when his friend rudely told us the prices and seemed offended that we thought they were high!:)

Archived