Queen Mary 1 photo album

desirod

link to photos

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=3134

Ad_3134_9.jpg

Notice the marquetry in the corner where perfectly fit wood triangles meet in the curve.

Partner and I spent 4 days there. She is basic as a hotel but makes up for it in her unquantifiable feel. Some say she is haunted. It does make sense since there are hot and cold areas of the ship that change and she makes strange noises sometimes. Some of the wood panels make evil faces. We toured some of the private areas and it felt like Herman Munster or Jack Dorrance would pop out.

We had a former first class cabin B-419 with most of the original fittings. It is a spacious room clad in fine woods, latching closet doors, and air through Punkah louvers. Ship is quirky especially with the unusual slope of the bath tub. The fine woods, brass and linoleum give the ship a fine aroma. No 2 panels are alike anywhere.

There are 3 restaurants on board. The engine room is open for tours. It is great to stroll the decks of a ship of the past.

The ship is a little worn but one gets a sense of what she has been through.

There is no other place in LA I would rather stay.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay aboard Mary. Hopefully the next time you visit her you will see improvements with her up-keep.

Even though I LOVE the QM2 nothing takes the place of the original. She's something very special.

And Ed, I do hope you make it out to visit her one day. :D

Betsy

As my username suggests you´ve just visited my favourite ship of all times.

If there is THE ship, its the Queen Mary.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It has been 15 years since I´ve been there (well, from Germany its more than a weekend trip), and it appears that her condition hasn´t changed much since. Fairly ok, but a few millions of $ would help. Isn´t the current operator heavily indebted to the City of Long Beach? I hope, they sort it out.

As you are writing about the stunning woodwork, have you seen that fantastic panel where all the different types of wood are displayed? Unbelievable, and highly likely unique in world. Can´t think about any place in the world where so many different types have been used, probably only in a "wood museum". If I remember right, its close to the shops.

The Queen Mary, as the sole survivor of the times when ships ruled international transport, must be preserved for generations to come. If it comes to historic worth, the QM surely ranks equal to the Chrysler and Empire State buildings (who are actually "just" two of a number of surviving top buildings). And no one would want to bring these buildings down (except Bin Laden Unlimited).

Thanks for sharing. We stayed one night on the Queen Mary nearly 25 years ago. The QM1 was my first cruise ship (ocean liner) experience. Last fall we went on the QM2 Canada/New England cruise. Time flys doesn't it. QM2 is almost 70 years newer than QM1.

Catch her direct successor while you can... one ship which is directly connected to the QM and still sails the seas! For 5 months more anyway... the feeling of a ship being underway when you know she'll be another static museum piece all too soon - absolutely unmissable.

I've been on both, the similarities are striking. Long live the Clyde Queens.

We stayed on the Queen Mary last November before boarding Princess. Thank you for the photos, it brought back good memories. Such a wonderful stay, isnt it? There is so much to see, it brings you back in time and gives you a real taste of history.

Would highly recommend the stay.

Archived