Need interpretation for "Top Physical Condition"

robbandjoni

Would like to to the Canopy Tour, but cruiseline info has listed this as the fitness level necessary for this excusion. I'm not in too bad of shape for 46- year-old woman, but would never classify myself as being at the "top." Thoughts from anyone with experience? Thanks.

If you're not going before December, I can let you know how it goes! I found the link to 2 separate Canopy Tours in PV and their websites don't make it sound challenging (maybe psychologically, but not physically). The minimum age is 6 to book through them so it can't be too hard! My mom (mid 60's) and I (almost 40) are doing it in Dec. We're not in great condition either, but from the threads I've read I think it's more walking on uneven terrain, and the rappel at the end that require any "strength". Let us know when you're going and I'll let you know how we do!

We went on the canopy tour and I'm in my 40's too! The part that requires good physical conditioning is the walking, mostly up! I had severly injured my knee that morning and could barely even bend it, so the walking was really difficult, plus I was in extreme pain, but I didn't let it stop me from going! It was sooooooo much fun! I hope you go and hope you have a great time!!!

Yes, we're there the week before you. My mom recently hurt both her knee and broke her hand (her dog took off after a squirrel with her attached to the leash and she landed on the concrete). Her knee is pretty much better, but she's concerned about how much hand strength she needs to hold on to the grabbar thing (not sure what it's called). Fortunately her left hand is hurt. Meredith, did it require a lot of strength - ie., did you need 2 strong hands, or is it mostly just balance with your hands? I'm hoping balance since I've seen pictures people took and figure they had to have taken one hand off! Thanks everyone!

We (Dave & Sally) are also going on the 12/4 Diamond Mex. Riv. Cruise and I am interested in the Canopy Tour also. I'm 62 and in OK condition, but by all means not an exercise addict or in prime shape. I looked into it earlier, but decided not to do it because of their comment on being in "top physical condition". I have seen photos from people on this site and they are in harnesses and it appears quite safe. The only thing I can tell from all this is that if you have a fear of heights it might be a problem - one person said that at one point they were 300' above ground. The other consideration is the hike up to the spot you embark on this. I might re-consider and book it anyway. It really looks like a lot of fun! In just editing this this email we decided to just booked this excursion anyway! (8:30 am) Hope to see ya. Booked for cabin B107 for 12/4 cruise - personal email dtslb@aol.com.

Dave & Sally - if you haven't been to our roll call, please come on over there!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2194679#post2194679

(I think this will take you to the last post).

We'd love to have you along with us on the tour - doing the 7:30am one so we have more afternoon time hopefully at the beach. Mom is 64, and I'm not sure I've entirely convinced her! She wants to do it, but is also concerned about this warning. I'll see later if I can find the actual website and post it and see if it makes you feel better!

Okay - here's one for reference with a lot of good pics, but not the actual one Princess uses:

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/index.html

Okay - here's the other one that shows all the exact stuff. This (from what I've read on the boards) is the one you go to:

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/english/canopy_tour.html

(Click on "tour data and area map" for details). Hope this helps!

In September my hubby (53), sister (49) and brother (44) did the canopy excursion (I went to swim with the dolphins). They had an excellent time. Of the three, I would say only my hubby is anywhere near "in top physical condition" and he has a knee problem. From what they said my sister had some difficulty climbing all the stairs, but she made it OK. That was the only difficult part, according to them.

As far as your Mom's hand problem, if you don't make it all the way to the next platform, you have to turn yourself around and pull yourself along the cable, hand over hand, close enough for them to grab you and pull you in. This never happened to my sister or hubby but my brother had to do this a couple of times and from the video it didn't look all that easy. They can't help you, you must do it yourself.

Bottom line, I think any normal active adult in any age bracket could do this and have fun. If you can't do stairs well or if your upper body strength is poor, you might want to reconsider.

Margie - thanks for the info. We've looked at the websites and my mom was wondering what happened if you "stopped". We booked the excursion already, but I guess we'll wait until closer to see how much hand strength she actually has by then. I'm doing it either way, so Dave & Sally let me know if you're going and I'll tag along! ;)

You use your dominate hand to stabalize yourself in a forward position and control your speed along the zip line, also when you are getting to the next platform you have to be able to pull down hard on the cable to stop yourself (otherwise you will BOUNCE back out, only did that once!)

Archived