Accessibility at Canadian Ports

lemonaid

We are travelling on the Maasdam from Montreal, Canada to Boston, MA in June/July. I'd like to get advise on accessiblity at each of the ports. We stop in the following ports: Quebec City, Charlottetown PEI, Sydney, Halifax and Bar Harbor.

My DH can't walk long distances because of a spinal injury so we have a scooter that he will be using. Does anyone have experience with wheelchairs or scooters in these ports? How far is it from the ship to tour buses, taxis or the port towns?

We've booked several of HAL's excursions that are listed as "easy" walking. Most are only 2-3 hours in duration. Does anyone know if bringing the scooter on these excursions is worth the effort? My DH can walk up and down stairs and walk short distances comfortably. If 2-3 hour, easy walking tours are mainly driving around on tour buses with a few short stops then I'm thinking that taking the scooter would be too much trouble.

:rolleyes: Any information you can provide would be appreciated. I posted similar questions on the Ports of Call-Canada Forum and received a few responses. I'm hoping for more information on this "special interest" forum from people that understand our situation and have 1st hand experience. Thanks very much!

lemonaid

We are travelling on the Maasdam from Montreal, Canada to Boston, MA in June/July. I'd like to get advise on accessiblity at each of the ports. We stop in the following ports: Quebec City, Charlottetown PEI, Sydney, Halifax and Bar Harbor.

My DH can't walk long distances because of a spinal injury so we have a scooter that he will be using. Does anyone have experience with wheelchairs or scooters in these ports? How far is it from the ship to tour buses, taxis or the port towns?

We've booked several of HAL's excursions that are listed as "easy" walking. Most are only 2-3 hours in duration. Does anyone know if bringing the scooter on these excursions is worth the effort? My DH can walk up and down stairs and walk short distances comfortably. If 2-3 hour, easy walking tours are mainly driving around on tour buses with a few short stops then I'm thinking that taking the scooter would be too much trouble.

:rolleyes: Any information you can provide would be appreciated. I posted similar questions on the Ports of Call-Canada Forum and received a few responses. I'm hoping for more information on this "special interest" forum from people that understand our situation and have 1st hand experience. Thanks very much!

lemonaid

Our first cruise after I became a quadriplegic was to Canada on the Norwegian Sun. We did serious research on how best to get to NYC as it was round trip for it's North American inaugural. After trying Amtrak we decided driving would be better even with parking fees. Then 9-11 happened. Norwegian sent out a notice allowing a no question asked full refund for those in the tri-state area. If a family or friend was possibly involved the same. My DH is an Army Retired Vet and I'm an Army Vet. No damn terrorists will win by making us change our plans. So we did the cruise out of Boston.

We were told that Bar Harbour was not accessible for non-walkers due to tendering and high tides. We had spent a week pre-injury on Gran Manan Island in the Bay of Fundy so knew this was not an excuse. It was great back then to walk 150 yards out onto the the ocean floor. We had a balcony cabin and it was a warm sunny day so we read and bird and seal watched. I understand some ships do allow tendering but from quite aways out. Being able to take a few steps into and out of the tender would be a plus. As an American port I assume curb cuts are the norm in the small town. Might want to get more info if you plan on a trip to Arcadia National Park.

Oh, I use a manual Quickie when cruising with floam filled tires. While the wheels pop off, arm rests come off and the gel seat removes; the main body folds forward so we need a large car or taxi for the 2 of us and the lead sled.

Halifax is a breeze for getting on and off any ship no matter the tide. Why all ports do not have these adjusting towers is beyond me. The port area is a wonderful mix of colonial warehouses turned into shops, markets and restaurants and modern condominiums and more restaurants and outdoor cafes. On a first visit I'd explore the town down near the port and skip the excursions. There are monuments to the Titanic victims and the Norwegian sailors who helped maintain the supply lines in WW2. Oh, and there is a large exhibit style building as you enter and leave the dock area with area crafts and souveniors. Can't remember any places where a scooter would be a problem and there are benches along the main pedestrian areas and gardens.

Quebec was cold and wet the day we were there but we docked right at the bottom of the Old Quarter. We were prepared with ponchos and wandered the bumpy cobblestone streets of the lower town. People we're very nice about making it as easy as possible to deal with a step or two down then the same up to enter shops and the cafe where we ate lunch. DO NOT eat mussels mixed with blue cheese, white wine and garlic and plan on sleeping with anyone with a nose. LOL My DH still hears about that. I had a croque monsieur and we both started with French onion soup that was soooooo good. Added a bottle of red wine and we were warm again. Oh, the hostess took our ponchoes when we entered to hang to dry and offered us paper hand towels to dry off. I found out later that wheelchairs can go up the funicular and they have accessible taxis, touring cars and the like. Like I said the Old Quarter is right there. But the sidewalks are narrow in places and due to past flooding most shops have the 2 step down, space of a sidewalk square then 2 steps up and in to deal with. During summer the lower streets should be mainly pedestrian but there are a few places that he may need to move into the street to pass a pole or things get narrow so do keep an eye out for delivery vehicles. I'd say, with how you describe your DHs abilities if you take a bus tour you might want a fold up wheelchair stowed below if part of the walking is going up or down the main hill on a winding road instead of using the cog train. Cobblestones can be difficult to handle for many walking SCIs. A chair would work better on those sidewalks also if he tires out.

I made a reservation for a large Mercedes taxi for Sydney. Part of the post 9-11 problems associated with NY Harbour closed for the recovery/morgue ships was the huge amount of rerouted Fall cruise ships. There is one road from the dock area opposite Sydney and probably 4 ships came in ahead of us. There was a huge line of people waiting in a line in the open waiting for tour buses that just dropped people in town and then picked them up the same way on the return. My taxi? Most likely hijacked by a passenger off an earlier docker that offered a lot more than his regular fare. Back on the ship as the road to town looked to be about 5 miles. I did read a review by a powerchair user who took some great photos of the historic area in town. He must have had help because curb cuts were not the rule back then at our other stops.

We went to Cornerbrook, Newfoundland instead of PEI so can't help you there. BTW, the city was borrowing their one paratransit van for shuttles into the main part of town. The $6 fee each way was going towards another vehicle for residents so I understood that those who used it got a calendar of ship dates to avoid making doctors appoints on, etc. Also as freezing and thawing buckled sidewalks they were replacing the cement with composite brick that handles colder temps, is smoother than real brick and added a lot of charm. Curb cuts were being added with each area renovated. Great scenery as we sailed up the fjord to Cornerbrook. We took a car tour of the bay area by one of the former fishermen. Seems the average size family in that area is like 20 kids. Cold winters and Catholic dogma. LOL

Oh, do get your camera ready the night before Sydney because you will be piped in. Yep, bagpipes. In summer you'll probably get the high school band too. In Cornerbrook a Constable and Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman were in the ship's lobby for pictures. The local ladies tourist guides were there with maps also wearing their clans tartan plaid scarfs. The federal government of Canada has given the Maritimes a lot of money to help tourism as the Grand Banks have been fished out.

The worst part of our trip? Returning to Boston a day early, it was to be a stop when this was originally R/T NYC, and not being able to leave the ship due to longshoreman who don't work in the rain. So the ship staff had to send down a gangplank but couldn't do anything to it on the dock. A couuple of elderly ladies did get off when the tide was in and there were a lot of ship staff at the hatch. They were in a rightfully angry mood when they returned with the tide out and tried to climb up a slippery stainless steel plank with a center section without the slip proof stuff on it. Funny how they managed to tie us up properly for disembarkation the next morning and it had drizzled all night.

Best part? We all received a free 5 X 7 picture of one our ship's protecters as we left Boston with our free ship 8 X 10 along with any formal picture in a great inaugural leather frame. Our protectors were at every port. Two small 3 man Coast Guard Zodiacs or the like .50 cal machine gun boats were with each cruise ship at ports. No other water craft were allowed within 100 yards of us except pilot boats. Our service members work no matter the weather.

Have a great trip.

PEI has a wonderful and dependable wheelchair accessible transport service called Pat and the Elephant, 902 894-3339, ask for Trent. You can get a ride to anywhere in Charlottetown from the pier for $6. They will also do a 2 or 3 hour tour out of the city to Cavendish/Brackley areas. But book in advance.

The pier is only a few blocks from downtown as well. I live in P.E.I. and I would recommend a tour. Don't think you will find any accessible taxis or tours other that Pat and E. You could use the scooter to get from the ship to downtown easily. On a tour with Pat a E you can take scooter as well to have for any stops. Have fun.

NorthernLite (Sue),

Thanks for all the information. Halifax sounds especially intriguing! Of the cruises we have been on I don't believe we have landed at a port with adjusting towers. We have an excursion booked in the morning but can spend the afternoon exploring the town and port area.

Judging by the number of cruises that you have taken since becoming a quadriplegic, it appears that cruising is a good vacation choice for the physically challenged. I would agree. Our first cruise was prior to my DH's accident. The 2nd one was booked after his accident. We thought it would be a good way to see lots of interesting places in relative comfort. We're looking forward to our 3rd cruise (2nd one since my DH became a quadriplegic).

I noticed that you have been on Celebrity cruises many times. Are they a good line to use for the physically challeneged or do they just have the itineraries that you like?

Thanks again for all the useful information.

lemonaid (Sherry) :)

PEI has a wonderful and dependable wheelchair accessible transport service called Pat and the Elephant, 902 894-3339, ask for Trent. You can get a ride to anywhere in Charlottetown from the pier for $6. They will also do a 2 or 3 hour tour out of the city to Cavendish/Brackley areas. But book in advance.

The pier is only a few blocks from downtown as well. I live in P.E.I. and I would recommend a tour. Don't think you will find any accessible taxis or tours other that Pat and E. You could use the scooter to get from the ship to downtown easily. On a tour with Pat a E you can take scooter as well to have for any stops. Have fun.

New Cruise r,

Thanks for the information about PEI. I should have asked these questions prior to booking my excursions. But, it was getting close to our sail date and I needed to get things organized. I hadn't built up enough courage to post anything on these boards yet. :(

We just have a morning excursion booked for PEI (Panoramic Island Drive) so I am going to look at the link you provided for our afternoon explorations. Thanks again for the information! :)

Lemonaid (Sherry)

NorthernLite (Sue),

Thanks for all the information. Halifax sounds especially intriguing! Of the cruises we have been on I don't believe we have landed at a port with adjusting towers. We have an excursion booked in the morning but can spend the afternoon exploring the town and port area.

Judging by the number of cruises that you have taken since becoming a quadriplegic, it appears that cruising is a good vacation choice for the physically challenged. I would agree. Our first cruise was prior to my DH's accident. The 2nd one was booked after his accident. We thought it would be a good way to see lots of interesting places in relative comfort. We're looking forward to our 3rd cruise (2nd one since my DH became a quadriplegic).

I noticed that you have been on Celebrity cruises many times. Are they a good line to use for the physically challeneged or do they just have the itineraries that you like?

Thanks again for all the useful information.

lemonaid (Sherry) :)

The first two cruises on Galaxy were because it was based here in Baltimore...a 20 minute drive. The food was wonderful; we met great people at dinner our first night and still cruise with 2. The husband of the 2nd couple was yanked back to active duty and Iraq and she's an RN at Walter Reed. One of my docs is there too. The Baltimore to Rome we went with a group of 8 old friends and 2 new ones.. Talk about cheap..the price for our inside fell to $800 before final payment for a 14 day.

The ships, especially the Millineum class are very accessible and have all sorts of cabins while the Century class has 7 ocean views and 1 inside. Oh, the Century added 2 sky suites during its renovation but they are no longer marked so like Norwegians BA suite on the Sun may now be considered either/ors. Great bars and dance areas that are easy to manuveur although the main theater acts are not my thing but are improving. The other venues do have pretty good entertainment. Again food is excellent as is service. Only the Century and Constellation have lifts to a pool and hot tub. Big drawback are shore excursions. I swear they go out of the way to make things inaccessible. But with boards like this you can get a lot of help on cheaper better tours on your own. Great cinemas too for chair users. Always places to sit next to your spouse.

I do keep my eyes roving for good deals and good itineraries. We use a TA so we never, now that e all know what we need and what to ask, forget things like buying insurance with 14 days. Assigned seat flights and to reduce stress we like to hit the embarkation city the night before. Like Bayonne we rent a car and the DH drops me and the luggage at the Newark Marriott, lots of points, and then drops the car at the airport. Next day we grab a big cab although the front desk can call you a ramp equipped taxi van also. We have used the ship's transfers but it means going to the airport to catch it. Our TA would list an incoming flight for a good time for them to pick us up.

We really loved the new Azamara off shoot. The rooms are very big. Country club casual is the dress code every night. The gangplank is small and bumpy and I have yet to try one of their tenders. But then tendering to Villefranche and Santarini was no joy by the looks on the crews faces on the Galaxy. But hey, those are our life boats so I look at it as practice for the crew if the weather cooperates.

Open seating and lack of formal nights are great when you're new to post-injury vacations. Less stress of deadlines for dinner and still figuring out things to wear besides sweats. So there are some other lines we've tried and liked parts of but overall Celebrity/Azamara are our favorites.

I don't know how to describe the thing for getting on and off ships in Halifax better. Maybe you can post a picture on your return.

Archived