Bio Bay-Vieques/Mosquito Bay

patches12

From the moon calendar, it looks like the night I want to go see the Bio Bay will be perfect! Has anyone gone on this trip WITHOUT doing the kayak thing? I hate things hanging over my head....snakes and other critters, so kayaking in the Mangrove forest is out for me. I watched a video and that was enough. You could even see the guide up front carefully watching to the left and right. HE knew there could be something there! :D

Anyway, I found a tour in a boat instead. More expensive, but the kayak thing is out! I think the tour group is East Island Catamaran or Island Adventures....$109.00 each including dinner, drinks, boat ride.

Has anyone gone on this one? They allow you to swim in this bay since it is deeper than the other Bio Bays. I will not be swimming because I hate not seeing what is under me in the ocean. Swimming in a dark ocean with no moon is not my idea of relaxing.

So, my questions are 1. has anyone done this tour? 2. How expensive was it to go to the marina on the east end of Puerto Rico? 3. Did you take a taxi or rent a car?

Thanks!

I did it and it was fantastic.

Your best way to get to the marina is with a rental car. The taxi ride would be about $80 each way, a car rental could be as low as $30/day.

I did a review of the experience, with directions etc.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/04/02/eastwind-vieques-biobay/

Definitely rethink the swimming (even if only for a minute!). It was one of the best parts- like little lights all over your skin.

I am interested in doing this tour, but I am skittish as well. I have issues with frogs and snakes. Since you have done this, were there any of these around? I imagine this is pretty close to the rainforest and my imagination has run away with me!

I am interested in doing this tour, but I am skittish as well. I have issues with frogs and snakes. Since you have done this, were there any of these around? I imagine this is pretty close to the rainforest and my imagination has run away with me!

For the Fajardo BioBay, you are passing under low branches in the mangrove. I did not see any frogs or snakes, but the iguanas do live in the branches at night. When they get scared,they jump into the water. All you hear is a splash in the dark. Sorry if that freaks you out.

The Vieques BioBay is open, you aren't near any branches or anyhing but open water.

• 3 weeks later...

Coquishideaway, I read your review of the Bio Bay Tour with East Island quite a while ago and finally booked with them. We'll be there Aug. 2, which the calendar says is the best night to view!!

We're flying in Friday, renting a car and driving to the Ceiba Country Inn near Fajardo where we have reservations for 2 nights. We'll tour the rainforest on Saturday and do our bio bay tour that night, drive to SJ on Sunday morning for our cruise. Do you know anything about the Ceiba Country Inn? Did we make a good choice?

Coquishideaway, I read your review of the Bio Bay Tour with East Island quite a while ago and finally booked with them. We'll be there Aug. 2, which the calendar says is the best night to view!!

We're flying in Friday, renting a car and driving to the Ceiba Country Inn near Fajardo where we have reservations for 2 nights. We'll tour the rainforest on Saturday and do our bio bay tour that night, drive to SJ on Sunday morning for our cruise. Do you know anything about the Ceiba Country Inn? Did we make a good choice?

I have never been there myself, so I can't comment on the rooms etc. I met the owners a few weeks ago at an inn-keepers get-together, and they were nice.

The place is located on the east side of the island, so it is about 30mins+ from the rain forest and about 1.5 hrs to SJ. It is only about 15 mins from marina you will go to in Fajardo.

It is in the country, so you will enjoy the sounds of the coquis and the greenness of the area.

Enjoy!

coquishideaway - Duh, me - I just put two and two together and realized you are Coquis Hideaway. I checked out your rental place and was really interested, but unfortunately it's not available on the Friday we'll be there. Your place looks wonderful for a family visit!! Uponn further search I found the Ceiba Inn, which will be close to the marina. I'm sure we will love the country view.

Thanks for the info.

coquishideaway - Duh, me - I just put two and two together and realized you are Coquis Hideaway. I checked out your rental place and was really interested, but unfortunately it's not available on the Friday we'll be there. Your place looks wonderful for a family visit!! Uponn further search I found the Ceiba Inn, which will be close to the marina. I'm sure we will love the country view.

Thanks for the info.

Not a problem. I try to be unbiased when it comes to answering.

I know a number of the other rental places in the rain forest region (we looked at buying a few of them before we found our place). Each one offers slightly different amenities, so there is a place that fits everyones needs.

That east coast area is more isolated, which offers some benefits (like less traffic and a real country feel!) but also means it is a longer drive to some of the sites/tourist activities.

From the Ceiba Inn, you can do either side of the rain forest. The South side is very quiet, but it doesn't have a trail map or ranger station yet. The North side is busier and where most people go to visit- with a number of marked trails and maps etc.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Its been ages, but when I was in college I spent a January term sailing in the Caribbean on a 95 foot sailboat. One of our stops was in Vieques, and I did not think there was any way the Bioluminesence could be appealing. I too am squeamish about frogs, snakes and other things in the water with me. Today, I am so glad I got in and swam. It stands out as one of the most memorable things I have ever done.

Have lots of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Our Holland America cruise (Eurodam) will be docking in San Juan on Jan. 6, 2009, 10 a.m. - 11 p.m.

There are three things we'd really like to do while there:

Walk through Old San Juan

Visit the Rainforest

Experience the Bioluminescent phenomena

Questions:

Is Three-Kings Day (Jan. 6) widely celebrated? Will places be closed and will there be the normal rush hour traffic?

What would be your recommendation for doing this? Is it too ambitious?

We plan to rent a car. Do you know if the Holland America ships dock at the Old San Juan pier? What is the best car rental office to use when you're coming off a cruise for the day?

About the rainforest, can you tell us if the paths for walking are paved, or if they're uneven/exposed tree roots/rocky? Our mother has vision problems... she can walk well, but she can't see to navigate and avoid a fall in these conditions.

Is it possible with our timeframe to be able to experience the bioluminiscent and be back with a reasonable cushion of time and return the car before our ship leaves?

Our Holland America cruise (Eurodam) will be docking in San Juan on Jan. 6, 2009, 10 a.m. - 11 p.m.

There are three things we'd really like to do while there:

Walk through Old San Juan

Visit the Rainforest

Experience the Bioluminescent phenomena

Questions:

Is Three-Kings Day (Jan. 6) widely celebrated? Will places be closed and will there be the normal rush hour traffic?

What would be your recommendation for doing this? Is it too ambitious?

We plan to rent a car. Do you know if the Holland America ships dock at the Old San Juan pier? What is the best car rental office to use when you're coming off a cruise for the day?

About the rainforest, can you tell us if the paths for walking are paved, or if they're uneven/exposed tree roots/rocky? Our mother has vision problems... she can walk well, but she can't see to navigate and avoid a fall in these conditions.

Is it possible with our timeframe to be able to experience the bioluminiscent and be back with a reasonable cushion of time and return the car before our ship leaves?

Three King's is one of the big holidays here (like Christmas). There will not be rush hour traffic. But MANY places will be closed. The Forts will be open, but other museums will be closed. You will probably find some restaurants and some stores open. It is still lovely to walk around and see the scenery. The trolley will be running.

The rainforest will be open. Paths are mostly paved, but there are some that have rocks. They are all kind of uneven. The pavement can be slippery, so wear shoes with tread. You can stop along the car ride up and see a waterfall and an observation tower right on the road etc. if you decide your Mom can't do the trails. She can sit in the cool forest (there are benches) while you go on a short trail. Here is some info on El Yunque:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/19/el-yunque-rain-forest-an-overview-of-the-carribean-national-forest/

I don't think you will have time to do the BioBay. The drive takes about 1.25-1.5 hrs and you have to be aboard 30 mins before the ship leaves.

You can't make it to Vieques- that ship onlt gets back at 10p.

For Fajardo, the first tour finishes at about 8:30p. It will be cutting it close timewise. But call some of the companies and ask if they can get you back sooner.

Thanks for your help! Regarding Fajardo, will that just be kayaks or are there boats? We understand that Fajardo is closed to swimming currently; is this true? Where can we find companies for Fajardo?

Fajardo has mostly kayaks, but there is a guy that has a motorboat.

There is no swimming allowed in Fajardo's BioBay.

For info on Fajardo Biobay and contact numbers :

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/04/07/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to this site. I hope I am following the instructions. You are just a book of knowledge, so I am taking this opportunity to ask a few more questions about Bio Bay. Anyway, I am just downright AFRAID!! The bio bay sounds like a once in a life time opportunity and I won't take this away from my daughter who is 21. Is there a possibility of teaming up with someone else to kayak with? Meaning, do the guides offer up the second seat in their boat? Thank you so much!!

Hi, new to this site. I hope I am following the instructions. You are just a book of knowledge, so I am taking this opportunity to ask a few more questions about Bio Bay. Anyway, I am just downright AFRAID!! The bio bay sounds like a once in a life time opportunity and I won't take this away from my daughter who is 21. Is there a possibility of teaming up with someone else to kayak with? Meaning, do the guides offer up the second seat in their boat? Thank you so much!!

They put 2 people in each kayak, so you won't be alone in it. They will team you up with your daughter or some else who is alone. If there is an odd number and no one wants to kayak alone, you can go with the guide.

But the guides usually are alone in theirs, so they can zip around and help out other people. But you can talk with them about your concern.

We will be there in November on the Eurodam. I was looking at the Bio Bay Kayak shore excursion through the ship and they say it's 2-2.5 hours. However, it leaves at 3:45 pm. That means we'll be back at the ship by 6:15-6:30 p.m. (ship doesn't even leave until 11:00 pm). Will it even be dark enough to get the full effect of Bio Bay at 5:00pm?

The sun sets between 5:45pm and 5:51pm throughout the month of November 2008. I wouldn't expect it to be "dark enough" to see anything in the biobay until at least 6:30pm (given the moon is in your favor).

Looking at the times you posted for the tour is confusing to me.

There's no way they can offer kayaking in the biobay as a 2.5 hour (total) excursion.

The biobay you'll be going to is in Fajardo. That's 1 - 1.5 hours drive depending on traffic. Late afternoon traffic with be bad due to rush hour.

So let's say you're actually on the road by 4pm (you said departure is 3:45pm). So you get to Fajardo 5:00 - 5:30pm.

By the time they get you unloaded, give you some basic kayak "training", and get you into your kayak it's 6:00 or 6:30pm. The actual time spent kayaking is usually 2 or 2.5 hours. So you're finishing around 8:30 - 9:00pm. Back on the bus for an hour ride back to your ship (the ride back will be quicker -- no traffic).

That puts you back on the boat around 10pm.

I think your cruiseline's description of the tour is a little "inaccurate"! LOL

• 3 months later...

Sheeps Hugs,

What did you hear from Holland America about this tour. I called and the guy who answered was very snippy and said the kayaking is 1 1/2 hrs and the travel time to the site is aprox 15 to 20 mins each way. I told him the travel time alone would be an hour each way but he says no. I also asked how we could do a tour that shoud be conducted in the evening/night during the day, but he never answered that question for me. I want to do the tour even though I know it will not be a great night for it because I don't know when I will get a chance to come back. I also thought of waiting till I got on board to book when I could get information on the correct departure time and tour length, but I also don't want to risk it being sold out.

Archived