stockholm to oslo-train vs. plane

elin

Hello, I will be sailing from London to Stockholm on the Regatta, Aug. 17, 2005, finishing up in Stockholm Aug. 31. At the end of the trip, we thought we might spend an extra day in Stockholm, and then spend some time in Oslo. Has anyone taken the train from Stockholm to Oslo? The high speed version does the trip in just under 5 hours. The flight is about 1 hour (and about $200 Canadian per person more then the train). The cost is not that much of an issue. If the train ride is something wonderfully scenic, it might be fun to do. However if it is dull and boring, the flight would definitely make more sense.

Anyone out there done either? What would you recommend? Also what suggestions do people have for both Stockholm and Oslo (I've heard that the "Norway in a Nutshell" is really great).

Thanks (I have this also posted on the Oceania board, but thought I'd try here also.

Elin

Trains in Scandinavia are expensive, but that 5 hours means downtown to downtown, as opposed to having to get out to the airport and than back into town from the next airport (especially if that airport is "Oslo Torp", which will definitely eliminate the time savings of air vs. train and should only be used for lower budgets). Some discount airlines fly this route:

http://www.attitudetravel.com/swedishlowcostairlines.html

I would spend at least a day in Stockholm, checking out the city centre -- great for walking -- including Gamla Stan (old town), the Vasa Museum, etc.; also an outing to Drottningholm Palace is nice.

Thanks YOW!

When I did the search on airlines that went between the two spots, I could only find SAS. I will take a look at the other options. Any that you would recommend for price, service, convenience? Are there any airports that are closer to the city then others?

Elin

Norwegian Airlines and Nordic Airlink serve the main airports of both cities (Oslo Gardermoen, Stockholm Arlanda), though I've not yet flown with them. SAS are good but expensive as you've noted, though check with http://scandinavian.net periodically as they do have sales. For Stockholm I think Bromma airport is the closest, while Vasteras and Skavsta airports are about 1hr15min by bus from central Stockholm.

Also look at the Rick Steves guidebooks, and http://www.ricksteves.com as well as Lonely Planet, their books are good and their discussion board is quite active and helpful ... http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com.

• 3 weeks later...

My cousins took the train from Oslo to Stockholm this summer and said it was great. They figured time was about the same considering checking in the airports, luggage etc. They said the scenery was beautiful and they should know as they are from Alaska. When we go next summer, we plan on using the train.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks NNY, what did they like about the scenery? As I've never been to either country I'm not sure what to expect. Have read some mixed reviews so I would like to hear some positives. Not sure about the high speed train (there were some reports that it was being pulled, but my TA said that it was still available).

Sorcel posted a reply to my same question (that I had posted on the Europe board). Here was that response:

Firstly - the high speed train Linx is being discontinued (www.linx.se) - so if you go by train you will need to take the ordinary train. I have taken the trip several times and it is not all that exciting.If you want to book a seet try www.nsb.no

Flying is very simple. There are 2 lowcost airlines that go to Stockholm - www.norwegian.no and www.flynordic.com. The train from Arlanda airport leaves ever 15-20 minutes and uses 20 minutes in to Stockholm City. The train from Oslo City to Oslo airport takes 30 minutes.

I found when I did a quick search on the prices that they were about 1/4 of what SAS had listed ($70 CDN vs. $300 CDN for SAS, one way).

e

I found when I did a quick search on the prices that they were about 1/4 of what SAS had listed ($70 CDN vs. $300 CDN for SAS, one way).
That could well be because SAS only sells cheap round-trip tickets, so that you have to pay a full fare if you only buy a one-way ticket. (Sometimes you can get around that by buying a cheap round-trip ticket and then throwing away the second half.) Many of the low-fare airlines price all their flights on a one-way basis.

Archived