How long does Vertigo last?

Daisy2

Mine didn't last that long--only about a week or two. You need to see an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor--it's probably an ear thing at this point.

Agreed I had that problem with flying and no pain or anything...but I went to the doctor eventually and it turns out I had a raging ear infection...

Just maybe thinking inner ear problem as that seems to cause alot of similar symptoms even if it's not as simple as an ear infection.

Vertigo was one of my first symptoms of MS. I also suffer from Mal deBarquement Syndrome after I cruise, the longest was 3 months.

There are some differences in the sensations between that and straight Vertigo.

I agree your doctor is not helping you by assuming it is the result of your cruise, it might be but you need to be checked out further.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

For the past 3 months I've had severe attacks of vertigo, where I'm throwing up right after.

Also have tinnitus (ringing in ear) constantly in my left ear. Going to see ENT doctor next month which can't be soon enough. Did see a Neurologist and he thinks I might have Meniere's disease. I'm booked for a cruise late October and worried about how this will effect me as it will come on with no warning. Takes about 3 days to feel back to normal. Most days in between attacks I feel very off balance. Anyone out there have this? Wondering what I can do about it? Worried.............

Being subject to Vertigo, from MS and inner ear problems both is one of the reasons I gave up driving, you never know when it might hit and you honestly would throw the wheel in a spin trying to hold on and keep from flying off the planet.

People who have never had it and say I have vertigo when they are in fact dizzy or lightheaded don't understand. Nothing else feels like that, and it is scary!

My husband and I are first time cruisers - sailing March 21 on the Dawn. I'm really worried about seasickness because I do suffer periodically from vertigo (BPPV) and I certainly don't want to be dizzy on a vacation. I'm bringing seabands, bonine, gravol and was thinking of buying the trans derm V patch. An ENT is the way to go - he or she will know if it's from your inner ear. There is also a manouever that can be done for BPPV (has to do with crystals in the ears). My doctor lies me down and turns my head to each side - looks at my eyes afterward and can tell immediately. I've had a test where they put water in your ears to cause dizziness and you are monitored. I've also had 2 hearing tests - both were normal. They only thing the doctor told me to take was gravol if I was nauseous. it will go away - it's just so uncomfortable. As for mixing alcohol and bonine - I don't drink. (just love chocolate)!

arlee -

I also occasionally suffer from BPPV, so I'm a bit more used to bouts of dizziness than most folks, which means that I'm that bit more resilient to seasickness. Still, when high seas are forecast I take meclizine hydrochloride (Bonine) and so far I've always been fine even in storm force 10 winds and 25 foot seas.

So, if you have your BPPV under control, don't worry at all about seasickness, you'll be fine.

VP

Thanks vampire. Is your dizziness any better? For some reason, here in Canada, where I live, they've discontinued bonine - so I will get it in Miami before the cruise. I bought the sea bands, but don't know how well they will work.

• 4 weeks later...

I suffered from this as well. First cruise was 3 days and the feeling lasted 2 weeks. Second cruise was 7 days and the feeling lasted close to 2 months. I didn't think I'd ever consider another cruise, but here I am making plans again. (I must admit...reading these posts are making me nervous again....)

I don't think your doctor is right about the meds with the alcohol, I think this is something some people are just destined to deal with.

arubacassie.....My brother-in-law was diasgnosed with Meniere's this last year and your symptoms sound just like his. I feel for ya. It seems like a pretty miserable thing to live with. The most important thing you can do is dramatically reduce your sodium intake. Avoid processed foods and high fat meats. Focus on fruit, veggies, whole grains and lean meats like chicken or fish. Good luck!

My last cruise, my twentieth w/o seasickness, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling so dizzy and nauseated, I got up and was staggering around like a drunk. I couldn't turn my head left or right, up or down. I had to sit uo all night with the lights on and head facing straight ahead. Hubby propped me up in a chair with pillows and I sat that wya for hours. :eek:

I don't typically drink, but the night before at the captain's reception I had sipped a half a glass of champagne. It just couldn't have been that two ounces of champagne.

In the morning Hubby went to the infirmary and picked up Meclizine pills. They helped, but it took an entire day for them to help. I had to take them the rest of the cruise. I have been home a week and I still have bouts of the dizziness. Taking the advice given above, if this continues much longer, I will go to see an ears, nose and throat doc.

That was a pretty scarey event and I hope I never experience it again. My sympathies to anyone who ever has to deal with it.

Our cruise on NCL Dawn came and went (march 21-28) - it practically flew by! We had a few rough sea days because of wind. I didn't get nauseated, but I was walking "sideways" because the ship felt as if it was rolling around. When the ocean was calm, it was great, but someone told me that the eastern caribbean is much rougher than the western or southern parts. I tried seabands, but they were too tight and I couldn't wear them. I took Bonine (they sell it on board). I could even feel the ship "rolling" when we were in the theatre. Some people wore the patch, and of course, most people weren't bothered at all. Even so, I too am planning our next cruise for winter 2010. I wonder if a ship has more tonnage - would that make a difference?

Archived