Beijing, Great Wall Sheraton??

BLS

Wife and I stayed at Sheraton Great Wall many years ago on a previous trip to China; therefore, my comments might be "outdated", and I would assume that the hotel has upgraded its facilities since our previous visit. We felt that one of the major advantages of this hotel was its location; i.e., outdoor markets and other points of interest. Service and restaurants in hotel were okay but not as good as some of the 5 star hotels. Depending on your type of room (standard, deluxe, jr. suite, suite, tower room, etc.), the acommodations were okay but not outstanding. Again, many of the rooms might have been renovated since our last stay at the Sheration. Basically, it is a Sheraton Hotel; i.e., nice but not outstanding. We will be in Bejiing next week and have opted to stay at the Pennsula. One additional point: upgrading to a higher level of room at the Sheraton Hotels at a reasonable cost is often difficult even though one is a member of thier hotel program. It basically depends how much you want to spend on your acommodations at the Great Wall Sheraton. Enjoy your visit.

Has anyone stayed at this Hotel? How are the rooms ,food, location?

We're doing a 2 night precruise stay and are a bit curious.

Thanks bunches

You are quite a distance from Beijing attractions: Tiannamen Sq., Forbidden City, Wangfuging (Pearl Market, night market, other shopping). It is between 4-7 miles to these places.

You will have to take taxis or subway. IF you take a taxi, MAKE SURE you grab a business card with the hotel name written in Chinese.

This is primarily a business hotel. I have stayed there for a couple of conferences. Not to my liking, even though I generally like Sheratons. I prefer to be closer to the "action" and away from so many business people trying to "hustle" their way through China.

Have you paid for the hotel yet???? Transfers from the Beijing Airport are readily available to most hotels. You may want to book your own hotel and transfer. Beijing is NOT that hard to get around in. The airport is very easy. And most hotels have English speaking employees.

When we were last at the Sheraton, there were many markets within walking distance from the hotel; perhaps, this has changed. We liked the location because of this fact plus by taxi it did not take long to get to the places which you mentioned. As I stated in a previous reply, we liked the location better than the hotel although we did not at all feel being hustled by the pressure of business customers at the Sheraton. If one is not into 5 star hotels, then the Sheraton Great Wall has "bang for the buck."

Thank you for the input.

We booked a 2 night pre-cruise pkg, that includes the transfer from Airport to Hotel and Hotel to the Ship. (which I undersatnd is a couple of hr away from Beijing) so it looks like a preety good deal.

We will however keep our options open, no final decision is needed until final payment is due in Jan.

Thought about booking the Hilton on our own.

We stayed at the Sheraton, on a pre--Cruise package, in November, 2006.

IOO the hotel was great.

There is a great Thai Restraunt there.

There is a "Shopping Mall" about two blocks away.

All of our tranportation was by Tour Bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived