San Juan 1-8PM Princess

tcrny

Hi all ... we'll be sailing CB on 7/28 out of NYC and first stop is OSJ from 1-8. We really wanted to do El Yunque to hike in rainforest, but I understand it closes at 6pm. Not sure what is the best way to get there - we plan to do on our own - by taxi? I'm just not sure we'll have much time by the time we get off the ship and get there (heard it is an hour ride). Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks so much! Cathy

The drive from OSJ to El Yunque is 1 - 1.5 hours, depending on traffic. Taxi fare will be a minimum of $63 one way. Taxis cannot go up into the rainforest ... they only go as far as El Portal visitor center. The visitor center is at KM 4.3 on road 191. Palo Colorado visitor center (where the majority of the trail heads are) is at KM 11.3 ... that's a long walk up hill. There's no public transportation in the national forest.

This map -- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/07/08/el-yunque-trial-map/ -- will give you an idea of the relative location of "points of interest" in the rain forest.

You'd be much better off ($$-wise) renting a car and making to El Yunque yourself. It's a straight run from OSJ ... 26 to 66 to 3 to 191 up into the rain forest ... all highway driving ... well except for OSJ and the rain forest.

We've written up a basic "el yunque orientation" that you can read at http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/19/el-yunque-rain-forest-an-overview-of-the-carribean-national-forest/

Given your limited time in port, you'll have some time to spend in the rain forest, but not too much.

Hi Ray, thanks very much for posting the info so quickly. Well, I don't think we really have enough time to do this, especially given the length of drive to get there.

I hope it is no trouble to ask, but I just went onto your website just after I wrote my post, and started looking for something closer. I came across Pinones Mangrove Forest/Boardwalk. This sounds very interesting as it has walking thru the mangroves, boardwalk and even beaches along the way. Would the beaches be allowable to swim/snorkel in? It sounds like a little bit of everything we're looking for. Can we take a taxi there, and are they available there to get us back to the ship?

Thanks so much ... you have been so helpful. Appreciate it very much. We are looking forward to visiting PR for our first time!

Cathy

You can take a taxi to Pinones ... it would be a metered fare, not fixed. You should get a phone number from the taxi driver so you can call to be picked up. I don't think taxis are generally available in that area.

You can certainly swim in Pinones, but I've never noticed anyone snorkeling there ... and never tried it there myself. The beach in Pinones isn't a wide, white-sand beach ... there's a lot of rocks and stuff.

There are a bunch of good places to eat there ... Soliel (spelling?), The Waterfront, and Bamboo ... or you can just grab some real local food ( http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/05/02/kiosk-food/ ) from one of the many kiosks.

Enjoy!

Archived