Tipping On Private Tours

Thanks to all the great information and advice on these Boards we will be experiencing our first private tours in October while on the Emerald TA. We are wondering if there is a general "rule of thumb" regarding tipping and would appreciate how others handle this.

Thanks in advance for your replies. :confused:

that's strange that you did not get any bites on this thread. Seems like a legitimate question to me!

We are doing our first private tour this year also. here's the way I figured it; don't know if I am correct or not!

Per so many posts on CC & comments we've received in Europe.....only the Americans tip! I realize that is not entirely true, but I think there is an agreement that we Americans at least tip more generously. So based on that, in Turkey I figure about 10% of the cost = $55 pp = $5-6 tip per person. Realize that in US we would tip 15-20%, but doesn't seem to be the norm in Europe/Turkey.

Don't know if I am close or not!

Have fun.

p.s. In Rome last year, our transport to CIA was 35 Euros total for 3 of us. The driver was so pleasant, timely, & unbelievably drove so sensibly (not the usual rocket ride) that I tipped him 10 Euros. As we were pulling our bags away, he ran after us & tried to give me back the "overpayment"! Should have tipped him more!

that's strange that you did not get any bites on this thread. Seems like a legitimate question to me!

We are doing our first private tour this year also. here's the way I figured it; don't know if I am correct or not!

Per so many posts on CC & comments we've received in Europe.....only the Americans tip! I realize that is not entirely true, but I think there is an agreement that we Americans at least tip more generously. So based on that, in Turkey I figure about 10% of the cost = $55 pp = $5-6 tip per person. Realize that in US we would tip 15-20%, but doesn't seem to be the norm in Europe/Turkey.

Have fun.

p.s. In Rome last year, our transport to CIA was 35 Euros total for 3 of us. The driver was so pleasant, timely, & unbelievably drove so sensibly (not the usual rocket ride) that I tipped him 10 Euros. As we were pulling our bags away, he ran after us & tried to give me back the "overpayment"! Should have tipped him more!

Thank you "two at sea". You have basically said what we have been thinking, but it is reassuring to have someone confirm on's thoughts. I, too, have been surprised at the lack of response and thought that maybe I had committed a "social gaff" by raising the question.

Have fun.

We did a combo of private and ships tours (along with a DIY day) while on our recent Med cruise. We pretty much tipped like you posted above. But remember that sometimes you get a driver - sometimes you get a driver/guide - and sometimes you use a guide. A driver will drive you around. Not alot of history, background or any other info given. A driver/guide will do both altho if NOT a licensed "guide" he cannot accompany you into say Pompeii or give tours of the Vatican. In some areas at historical sites or other sightseeing sites you will use a "guide" and these are usually licensed by the govt. (even have badges). So it is not unusual to have a driver and a guide or two in one day. Also - on private tours that are shared - remember that others are tipping too..... we all discussed and pooled our tips so as not to ridiculously overtip :eek:

Most likely the reason you have received few replies is that tipping is such a personal subject. No matter what you say you tip, someone will post that it is either too low or too high.

Personally, I think you need to remember what Texancruiser said about pooling the tips. Discuss with the others in your group toward the end of the tour and come up with a per person amount that reflects the service you receive.

If the tour driver/guide is self-employed like many in the Caribbean, then more of the tour cost will go into his/her pocket, minus the cost of vehicle upkeep, insurance and gas. If the tour is a large company and your driver/guide is an employee, then the tip plus his hourly wage is all he gets.

I read the link regarding tipping in Europe and understand that tipping is not required. My question is this. I inquired about a private tour from a company in Italy for my upcoming Mediterrean cruise. I received that info very quickly. At the bottom of that info, where it states how much each tour would cost, it clearly states that the price does not "gratuities". Which is it? Do they or do they not expect tips????

Which is it? Do they or do they not expect tips????

You are gonna get replies stating both.

We found that some people do and some people don't. Doesn't matter what they expect. We saw many Europeans leaving tips even though you will have people saying they don't. Usually not alot but a tip the same.

That said they know that Americans usually do so I think they have come to "expect" a tip.

We are in the group that always tips. If service is just so-so then so is the tip ;) If it is outstanding.....well we tip more :D

If you look in the " travel books" they are also conflicting.

Do what you feel comfortable doing. :)

Thank you for all of your replies, thoughts on the subject and comments. Also thank you for the link to the lengthy thread from 2006. If the search had been working when I looked perhaps I would have found it on my own.

Gunther's thoughts seem to mirror those of a very close friend who is a Londoner. I know that we have felt mizerly when we have just left change as it is contrary to our custom, but we do like to assimilate into the cultures we are experiencing!

We are very excited about our upcoming TA on the Emerald. Thanks again!

You are gonna get replies stating both.

We found that some people do and some people don't. Doesn't matter what they expect. We saw many Europeans leaving tips even though you will have people saying they don't. Usually not alot but a tip the same.

That said they know that Americans usually do so I think they have come to "expect" a tip.

We are in the group that always tips. If service is just so-so then so is the tip ;) If it is outstanding.....well we tip more :D

If you look in the " travel books" they are also conflicting.

Do what you feel comfortable doing. :)

We have booked a private tour and guide in Naples and Turkey. I emailed the company and asked what is thier normal expectations or tips. They all nicely emailed back saying tipping shoud be on service BUT 15% is normal.

So am planning on 15%. I think everyone expects a tip and after having a daughter who helped meet expense as a waitress in college I realise how important a tip is. Have a great cruise

• 4 weeks later...

Archived