Prisendam Vs Discovery for Baltic

Skippy2

:confused: New cruisers wanting help. We're looking to cruise in the Baltic next year. Our choices right now are the HAL Prisendam or the MV Discovery (because we want to sail through the Kiel Canal). We like comfort but not glitz and like the idea of interesting talks/lectures. Any advice to help us decide would be appreciated.

Skippy2: We are booked on the July 26 Prinsendam cruise that goes through the Kiel Canal. It sounds like that is the cruise you are considering.

Because we have sailed only on HAL, I cannot give a comparsion for you, other than to assure you that HAL offers comfort without a lot of glitz. Yes, there will be formal nights on the Prinsendam, probably 4 over the 2 week cruise, but non-formal dining is available in the Lido dining room as well as room service. After 9 cruises with HAL, I would describe the environment as casual elegance. Also, on HAL cruises longer than 10 days, they have Flagship Forum lectures. We have sailed on two HAL cruises which had those lectures and the speakers were first rate-all very interesting, with a touch of humor.

Suggestion: you might want to post your inquiry over on the HAL forum to see if any of the regulars over there have sailed on the Discovery as well.

You are doing your "homework", so I wish you well in your choice! If you wind up selecting the Prinsendam, c'mon over to the HAL forum and let us know. We have one other couple going on the Prinsendam as of today: localady and her DH. Have fun!

Archived